Allergy treatment.

Breed: White German Shepher
I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes. Rubbing his face on the furniture. His eyes are not red and no discharge. We took him to the vet back in August. They gave him a cortizon shot and antibiotics ($160). It helped for about 2 weeks. Money is kinda an issue, but i'd do what I had to so he can get healthy again. Please Help.
Thank You, Jason

Sorry to hear that Memphis is having problems with allergies.

There are a few possible reasons why his problems came back again after two weeks.

If there was a skin infection present then usually we need more than 2 weeks of antibiotics in order to totally heal it. So, it may be that the skin infection is coming back again.

If your vet feels that it was the steroid shot that helped then they may be willing to prescribe steroid pills to give long term. Steroid pills (usually prednisone) are very inexpensive.

You can ask your vet if they are suspicious of food allergies. If so, they can prescribe a hypoallergenic food that will help greatly.

I hope he is feeling better son!

Cat ate A&D cream. Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there... (23184 views)

Hypothyroidism in Sheltie. Hi My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low... (8778 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (9715 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (6097 views)

Facial lymph nodes and teething. Hi Dr. Marie, After a lot of investigating w/ my own regular vet (very... (13347 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (11545 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (11948 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (19827 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (21080 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (13446 views)