Allergy treatment.

Breed: White German Shepher
I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes. Rubbing his face on the furniture. His eyes are not red and no discharge. We took him to the vet back in August. They gave him a cortizon shot and antibiotics ($160). It helped for about 2 weeks. Money is kinda an issue, but i'd do what I had to so he can get healthy again. Please Help.
Thank You, Jason

Sorry to hear that Memphis is having problems with allergies.

There are a few possible reasons why his problems came back again after two weeks.

If there was a skin infection present then usually we need more than 2 weeks of antibiotics in order to totally heal it. So, it may be that the skin infection is coming back again.

If your vet feels that it was the steroid shot that helped then they may be willing to prescribe steroid pills to give long term. Steroid pills (usually prednisone) are very inexpensive.

You can ask your vet if they are suspicious of food allergies. If so, they can prescribe a hypoallergenic food that will help greatly.

I hope he is feeling better son!

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (6778 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (6346 views)

Female dog leaking urine. Dr. Marie My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a... (12928 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (9436 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (14221 views)

Guinea pig lifespan. Hi! Just wanna know, whats the life span of a guinea... (7646 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (4285 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (6676 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (5746 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (13102 views)