Allergy treatment.

Breed: White German Shepher
I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes. Rubbing his face on the furniture. His eyes are not red and no discharge. We took him to the vet back in August. They gave him a cortizon shot and antibiotics ($160). It helped for about 2 weeks. Money is kinda an issue, but i'd do what I had to so he can get healthy again. Please Help.
Thank You, Jason

Sorry to hear that Memphis is having problems with allergies.

There are a few possible reasons why his problems came back again after two weeks.

If there was a skin infection present then usually we need more than 2 weeks of antibiotics in order to totally heal it. So, it may be that the skin infection is coming back again.

If your vet feels that it was the steroid shot that helped then they may be willing to prescribe steroid pills to give long term. Steroid pills (usually prednisone) are very inexpensive.

You can ask your vet if they are suspicious of food allergies. If so, they can prescribe a hypoallergenic food that will help greatly.

I hope he is feeling better son!

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (10751 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (10398 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (8176 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (8625 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (19131 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (8827 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (18740 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (43328 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (17739 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (9251 views)