Toxic to pets?

Breed: chihuahua
I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was the recipe below on the internet and wanted to know if the ingredients were safe. If you know of a recipe, please feel free to share it. Thanks.

Mix together
1 tbsp of Borax powder (find it in the laundry aisle of your supermarket)
3 tbsps of white vinegar
2 cups of water
1 tablespoon of Dr. Bronner`s Magic liquid soap
1 drop of peppermint essential oil
1 drop of lavender essential oil
1 drop of tea tree essential oil

Well this is an interesting question!

Here is what I know about the ingredients that you listed:

Borax - if some was ingested it could cause some mild stomach upset. Large amounts of borax can be toxic to the kidneys but 1 tbsp dissolved in water is not going to be toxic.

White vinegar - On its own, vinegar can be mildly caustic meaning that it could cause some irritation in the mouth or intestines, but again, dissolved in water, this is safe.

Dr. Bronner's Magic liquid soap - The website lists the following ingredients: "Water, Saponified Organic Coconut*, Organic Palm* and Organic Olive* Oils (w/Retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Essential Oils**, Citric Acid, Vitamin E". Some essential oils can be quite caustic for dogs (see below). Some types of industrial glycerin used for making soaps can contain toxic substances (see this article for more info.)

peppermint essential oil - Small amounts are safe for pets but large amounts can cause intestinal upset.

lavender essential oil - Undiluted this can be fairly harmful to the intestinal tract and mouth. Again, diluted it is *probably* safe.

tea tree essential oil - If tea tree oil is ingested it can be very toxic to pets. If it comes in contact with the skin it can burn the skin. With that being said, 1 drop of it is likely to do any harm.

This is probably not a recipe that I would use in my house with pets. With that being said, most likely, once the product has dried it is probably perfectly safe.

I am definitely not an expert in cleaning solutions so I can't really recommend a green floor cleaning product for you. :) I do know that there are some commercial green products out there. If they are toxic to pets then they would likely say so on the label.

I hope that helps!

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (8403 views)

Information on parvo virus. Hello dr., I am a senior in high school doing a senior project and my topic... (14492 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (7974 views)

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (8345 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (170493 views)

Ear infection and FIV. Hi, I got Monty from a rescue home 5 months ago. he is an fiv + cat and looked so... (4651 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (9499 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (6753 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (30008 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (10576 views)