Toxic to pets?

Breed: chihuahua
I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was the recipe below on the internet and wanted to know if the ingredients were safe. If you know of a recipe, please feel free to share it. Thanks.

Mix together
1 tbsp of Borax powder (find it in the laundry aisle of your supermarket)
3 tbsps of white vinegar
2 cups of water
1 tablespoon of Dr. Bronner`s Magic liquid soap
1 drop of peppermint essential oil
1 drop of lavender essential oil
1 drop of tea tree essential oil

Well this is an interesting question!

Here is what I know about the ingredients that you listed:

Borax - if some was ingested it could cause some mild stomach upset. Large amounts of borax can be toxic to the kidneys but 1 tbsp dissolved in water is not going to be toxic.

White vinegar - On its own, vinegar can be mildly caustic meaning that it could cause some irritation in the mouth or intestines, but again, dissolved in water, this is safe.

Dr. Bronner's Magic liquid soap - The website lists the following ingredients: "Water, Saponified Organic Coconut*, Organic Palm* and Organic Olive* Oils (w/Retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Essential Oils**, Citric Acid, Vitamin E". Some essential oils can be quite caustic for dogs (see below). Some types of industrial glycerin used for making soaps can contain toxic substances (see this article for more info.)

peppermint essential oil - Small amounts are safe for pets but large amounts can cause intestinal upset.

lavender essential oil - Undiluted this can be fairly harmful to the intestinal tract and mouth. Again, diluted it is *probably* safe.

tea tree essential oil - If tea tree oil is ingested it can be very toxic to pets. If it comes in contact with the skin it can burn the skin. With that being said, 1 drop of it is likely to do any harm.

This is probably not a recipe that I would use in my house with pets. With that being said, most likely, once the product has dried it is probably perfectly safe.

I am definitely not an expert in cleaning solutions so I can't really recommend a green floor cleaning product for you. :) I do know that there are some commercial green products out there. If they are toxic to pets then they would likely say so on the label.

I hope that helps!

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (6422 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (14684 views)

Dog had large tumor and died. Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her... (12145 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (9153 views)

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (5654 views)

Guinea pig biting. How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me? Recently my... (7691 views)

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (7985 views)

Kitten is bleeding from vagina. since ive got my kitten she has been crying alot, ive noticed her bleeding aswell... (13889 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (4727 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (21679 views)