Toxic to pets?

Breed: chihuahua
I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was the recipe below on the internet and wanted to know if the ingredients were safe. If you know of a recipe, please feel free to share it. Thanks.

Mix together
1 tbsp of Borax powder (find it in the laundry aisle of your supermarket)
3 tbsps of white vinegar
2 cups of water
1 tablespoon of Dr. Bronner`s Magic liquid soap
1 drop of peppermint essential oil
1 drop of lavender essential oil
1 drop of tea tree essential oil

Well this is an interesting question!

Here is what I know about the ingredients that you listed:

Borax - if some was ingested it could cause some mild stomach upset. Large amounts of borax can be toxic to the kidneys but 1 tbsp dissolved in water is not going to be toxic.

White vinegar - On its own, vinegar can be mildly caustic meaning that it could cause some irritation in the mouth or intestines, but again, dissolved in water, this is safe.

Dr. Bronner's Magic liquid soap - The website lists the following ingredients: "Water, Saponified Organic Coconut*, Organic Palm* and Organic Olive* Oils (w/Retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Essential Oils**, Citric Acid, Vitamin E". Some essential oils can be quite caustic for dogs (see below). Some types of industrial glycerin used for making soaps can contain toxic substances (see this article for more info.)

peppermint essential oil - Small amounts are safe for pets but large amounts can cause intestinal upset.

lavender essential oil - Undiluted this can be fairly harmful to the intestinal tract and mouth. Again, diluted it is *probably* safe.

tea tree essential oil - If tea tree oil is ingested it can be very toxic to pets. If it comes in contact with the skin it can burn the skin. With that being said, 1 drop of it is likely to do any harm.

This is probably not a recipe that I would use in my house with pets. With that being said, most likely, once the product has dried it is probably perfectly safe.

I am definitely not an expert in cleaning solutions so I can't really recommend a green floor cleaning product for you. :) I do know that there are some commercial green products out there. If they are toxic to pets then they would likely say so on the label.

I hope that helps!

Mom misses puppies. Our boxer had 2 pups both died, she has taken on a stuffed animal replacement but is... (7734 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (11265 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (30826 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (29892 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (23750 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (8283 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (15061 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (13537 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (7729 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (10935 views)