Toxic to pets?

Breed: chihuahua
I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was the recipe below on the internet and wanted to know if the ingredients were safe. If you know of a recipe, please feel free to share it. Thanks.

Mix together
1 tbsp of Borax powder (find it in the laundry aisle of your supermarket)
3 tbsps of white vinegar
2 cups of water
1 tablespoon of Dr. Bronner`s Magic liquid soap
1 drop of peppermint essential oil
1 drop of lavender essential oil
1 drop of tea tree essential oil

Well this is an interesting question!

Here is what I know about the ingredients that you listed:

Borax - if some was ingested it could cause some mild stomach upset. Large amounts of borax can be toxic to the kidneys but 1 tbsp dissolved in water is not going to be toxic.

White vinegar - On its own, vinegar can be mildly caustic meaning that it could cause some irritation in the mouth or intestines, but again, dissolved in water, this is safe.

Dr. Bronner's Magic liquid soap - The website lists the following ingredients: "Water, Saponified Organic Coconut*, Organic Palm* and Organic Olive* Oils (w/Retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Essential Oils**, Citric Acid, Vitamin E". Some essential oils can be quite caustic for dogs (see below). Some types of industrial glycerin used for making soaps can contain toxic substances (see this article for more info.)

peppermint essential oil - Small amounts are safe for pets but large amounts can cause intestinal upset.

lavender essential oil - Undiluted this can be fairly harmful to the intestinal tract and mouth. Again, diluted it is *probably* safe.

tea tree essential oil - If tea tree oil is ingested it can be very toxic to pets. If it comes in contact with the skin it can burn the skin. With that being said, 1 drop of it is likely to do any harm.

This is probably not a recipe that I would use in my house with pets. With that being said, most likely, once the product has dried it is probably perfectly safe.

I am definitely not an expert in cleaning solutions so I can't really recommend a green floor cleaning product for you. :) I do know that there are some commercial green products out there. If they are toxic to pets then they would likely say so on the label.

I hope that helps!

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (4141 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (7016 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (9508 views)

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (5790 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (5435 views)

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (3250 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (6981 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (22728 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (15314 views)

Itchy scrotum after grooming. Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is... (17901 views)