My dog is pooping blood.

Breed: Alaskan Malamute
What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was bloody diarrhea all over my apartment! I'm scared because there is some blood in the diarrhea! Why is my dog pooping blood? Is this an emergency?

Hi Susan...this can often be very scary! I have a few questions for you first before I answer though:

Is Winter still bright?
How is the dog's appetite?
Have you given him or her any new food or treats recently?
Any vomiting?

He did get some steak (no bone) two days ago when he cleaned the kids plates. He is eating but not much. No vomiting so far. I wouldn't say he is bright, but he is not really lethargic. sort of in the middle. Is blood in dog poop a serious issue?

We often get questions about dogs who are pooping with some blood and usually the owners are quite worried. However, with dogs, it only takes a little bit of inflammation in the colon to cause bleeding, so it is very common to have bleeding along with diarrhea. The steak is probably the culprit!

As long as your dog is bright and alert I would not be too worried. The best thing to do in cases like this is to give her a period of 24 hours with no food (water is ok) followed by small meals of chicken and rice. Then, after a couple of days you can gradually add back her regular dog food. Make sure she has no treats or table scraps in this time.

If she is still not feeling well in 24-48 hours or if you think she is very uncomfortable then a vet visit may be in order.

***ADDED***
I wanted to add some additional information for those reading this question. If your dog has bloody diarrhea and is NOT bright and alert, then there could be a serious problem. If your dog suddenly got bloody diarrhea and is really quiet, lethargic and not eating then this could be a sign of a condition called HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis). HGE can be very serious and does need a vet visit right away.

As usual, let your gut be the judge. If you feel something is wrong, then it's best to be safe than sorry and see the vet!

I hope she does ok!

Thank you so much...I will follow your advice! This website is really great!

Susan in FL.

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (74175 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (20793 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (7005 views)

Lump near nipple. She has a lump(i think so).. It's hard, and about a marble's size in... (8963 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (31258 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (9121 views)

Bruising on neck. My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal.... (8977 views)

Did my cat suffer? Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend... (12475 views)

Puppy has 6-8 bowel movements per day. My 7 month old dog has 6 - 8 bowel movements per day. Most are well formed, some... (13548 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (21826 views)