My dog is pooping blood.

Breed: Alaskan Malamute
What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was bloody diarrhea all over my apartment! I'm scared because there is some blood in the diarrhea! Why is my dog pooping blood? Is this an emergency?

Hi Susan...this can often be very scary! I have a few questions for you first before I answer though:

Is Winter still bright?
How is the dog's appetite?
Have you given him or her any new food or treats recently?
Any vomiting?

He did get some steak (no bone) two days ago when he cleaned the kids plates. He is eating but not much. No vomiting so far. I wouldn't say he is bright, but he is not really lethargic. sort of in the middle. Is blood in dog poop a serious issue?

We often get questions about dogs who are pooping with some blood and usually the owners are quite worried. However, with dogs, it only takes a little bit of inflammation in the colon to cause bleeding, so it is very common to have bleeding along with diarrhea. The steak is probably the culprit!

As long as your dog is bright and alert I would not be too worried. The best thing to do in cases like this is to give her a period of 24 hours with no food (water is ok) followed by small meals of chicken and rice. Then, after a couple of days you can gradually add back her regular dog food. Make sure she has no treats or table scraps in this time.

If she is still not feeling well in 24-48 hours or if you think she is very uncomfortable then a vet visit may be in order.

***ADDED***
I wanted to add some additional information for those reading this question. If your dog has bloody diarrhea and is NOT bright and alert, then there could be a serious problem. If your dog suddenly got bloody diarrhea and is really quiet, lethargic and not eating then this could be a sign of a condition called HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis). HGE can be very serious and does need a vet visit right away.

As usual, let your gut be the judge. If you feel something is wrong, then it's best to be safe than sorry and see the vet!

I hope she does ok!

Thank you so much...I will follow your advice! This website is really great!

Susan in FL.

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (37155 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (14737 views)

White urine in guinea pig. My Guinea Pigs urine is a white color (or possibly cloudy). Is this something we... (47326 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (10305 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (9052 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (8917 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (21479 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (14514 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (273515 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (7870 views)