My dog is pooping blood.

Breed: Alaskan Malamute
What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was bloody diarrhea all over my apartment! I'm scared because there is some blood in the diarrhea! Why is my dog pooping blood? Is this an emergency?

Hi Susan...this can often be very scary! I have a few questions for you first before I answer though:

Is Winter still bright?
How is the dog's appetite?
Have you given him or her any new food or treats recently?
Any vomiting?

He did get some steak (no bone) two days ago when he cleaned the kids plates. He is eating but not much. No vomiting so far. I wouldn't say he is bright, but he is not really lethargic. sort of in the middle. Is blood in dog poop a serious issue?

We often get questions about dogs who are pooping with some blood and usually the owners are quite worried. However, with dogs, it only takes a little bit of inflammation in the colon to cause bleeding, so it is very common to have bleeding along with diarrhea. The steak is probably the culprit!

As long as your dog is bright and alert I would not be too worried. The best thing to do in cases like this is to give her a period of 24 hours with no food (water is ok) followed by small meals of chicken and rice. Then, after a couple of days you can gradually add back her regular dog food. Make sure she has no treats or table scraps in this time.

If she is still not feeling well in 24-48 hours or if you think she is very uncomfortable then a vet visit may be in order.

***ADDED***
I wanted to add some additional information for those reading this question. If your dog has bloody diarrhea and is NOT bright and alert, then there could be a serious problem. If your dog suddenly got bloody diarrhea and is really quiet, lethargic and not eating then this could be a sign of a condition called HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis). HGE can be very serious and does need a vet visit right away.

As usual, let your gut be the judge. If you feel something is wrong, then it's best to be safe than sorry and see the vet!

I hope she does ok!

Thank you so much...I will follow your advice! This website is really great!

Susan in FL.

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (11970 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (10013 views)

Morning after pill for dogs? Is there a "morning after pill" for dogs? ... (30851 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (21642 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (12346 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (14238 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (29119 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (14646 views)

Best cloth bedding for guinea pigs. I wanted to make a new bed for my guinea pig's house (her "nest"). Are there any... (9694 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (100598 views)