My dog is pooping blood.

Breed: Alaskan Malamute
What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was bloody diarrhea all over my apartment! I'm scared because there is some blood in the diarrhea! Why is my dog pooping blood? Is this an emergency?

Hi Susan...this can often be very scary! I have a few questions for you first before I answer though:

Is Winter still bright?
How is the dog's appetite?
Have you given him or her any new food or treats recently?
Any vomiting?

He did get some steak (no bone) two days ago when he cleaned the kids plates. He is eating but not much. No vomiting so far. I wouldn't say he is bright, but he is not really lethargic. sort of in the middle. Is blood in dog poop a serious issue?

We often get questions about dogs who are pooping with some blood and usually the owners are quite worried. However, with dogs, it only takes a little bit of inflammation in the colon to cause bleeding, so it is very common to have bleeding along with diarrhea. The steak is probably the culprit!

As long as your dog is bright and alert I would not be too worried. The best thing to do in cases like this is to give her a period of 24 hours with no food (water is ok) followed by small meals of chicken and rice. Then, after a couple of days you can gradually add back her regular dog food. Make sure she has no treats or table scraps in this time.

If she is still not feeling well in 24-48 hours or if you think she is very uncomfortable then a vet visit may be in order.

***ADDED***
I wanted to add some additional information for those reading this question. If your dog has bloody diarrhea and is NOT bright and alert, then there could be a serious problem. If your dog suddenly got bloody diarrhea and is really quiet, lethargic and not eating then this could be a sign of a condition called HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis). HGE can be very serious and does need a vet visit right away.

As usual, let your gut be the judge. If you feel something is wrong, then it's best to be safe than sorry and see the vet!

I hope she does ok!

Thank you so much...I will follow your advice! This website is really great!

Susan in FL.

Wound on cat's leg. Sydney is an indoor/outdoor cat. Last week he got a cut on his front leg. I was... (19775 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (21545 views)

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (11653 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (7453 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (34663 views)

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (25161 views)

Red lump between dog's toes. Hello I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third... (89845 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (21020 views)

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (8695 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (13147 views)