Human mouthwash for dog?

Breed: Poodle
Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a little in her water - just occasionally, and was wondering if it was safe for her
I brush her teeth with doggie tooth paste at bath time.
Thank you
D

No, it's not a good idea to use human mouthwash in your dog's mouth.

The biggest concern is that mouthwash is not meant to be swallowed. It would be very hard to teach your dog to rinse her mouth and then spit!

Next, there really aren't any studies that I can find that show that mouthwash helps to reduce plaque and tartar. Additionally, it can cause staining of the teeth.

Most likely, mixing it in her water would not add any benefit at all to Noodle's oral health.

Keep up with the brushing. This is one of the best things that you can do. If the teeth are getting a lot of tartar or if the gums are getting red, then she will need to have a dental cleaning under anesthetic.

Thanks for an interesting question!

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (16787 views)

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (9332 views)

Not eating or drinking because lonely? i have a puppy i've had her in the backyard now my sister had an inspection at her... (9366 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (9932 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (7722 views)

Dog shedding like crazy. my dog is shedding like crazy year round what should i do? ... (12488 views)

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (151427 views)

Wound on cat's leg. Sydney is an indoor/outdoor cat. Last week he got a cut on his front leg. I was... (23000 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (18323 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (13777 views)