Human mouthwash for dog?

Breed: Poodle
Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a little in her water - just occasionally, and was wondering if it was safe for her
I brush her teeth with doggie tooth paste at bath time.
Thank you
D

No, it's not a good idea to use human mouthwash in your dog's mouth.

The biggest concern is that mouthwash is not meant to be swallowed. It would be very hard to teach your dog to rinse her mouth and then spit!

Next, there really aren't any studies that I can find that show that mouthwash helps to reduce plaque and tartar. Additionally, it can cause staining of the teeth.

Most likely, mixing it in her water would not add any benefit at all to Noodle's oral health.

Keep up with the brushing. This is one of the best things that you can do. If the teeth are getting a lot of tartar or if the gums are getting red, then she will need to have a dental cleaning under anesthetic.

Thanks for an interesting question!

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (10492 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (36073 views)

Wheezing kitten. Hi! I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and... (7305 views)

Can't use back legs. In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had... (33298 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (11097 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (14408 views)

Natural treatment for lymphoma? my dog was just diagnosed with lymphoma cancer. hes on prednisone. cant afford... (8008 views)

Will mating kill my dog? i have had my dog for 2 weeks an she has just mated with my brothers dog but the... (7273 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (21042 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (11366 views)