Human mouthwash for dog?

Breed: Poodle
Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a little in her water - just occasionally, and was wondering if it was safe for her
I brush her teeth with doggie tooth paste at bath time.
Thank you
D

No, it's not a good idea to use human mouthwash in your dog's mouth.

The biggest concern is that mouthwash is not meant to be swallowed. It would be very hard to teach your dog to rinse her mouth and then spit!

Next, there really aren't any studies that I can find that show that mouthwash helps to reduce plaque and tartar. Additionally, it can cause staining of the teeth.

Most likely, mixing it in her water would not add any benefit at all to Noodle's oral health.

Keep up with the brushing. This is one of the best things that you can do. If the teeth are getting a lot of tartar or if the gums are getting red, then she will need to have a dental cleaning under anesthetic.

Thanks for an interesting question!

Morning after pill for dogs? Is there a "morning after pill" for dogs? ... (31886 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (61834 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (16291 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (47166 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (9708 views)

Eye out of socket. MY PUPPY JUST GOT BIT BY A LARGE DOG IN THE LEFT EYE. THE EYE LOOKS LIKE ITS OUT OF... (13856 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (12791 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (22143 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (15246 views)

Is my cat pregnant? we just opened our home to a female stray cat. i estimated her to be a year old or... (12471 views)