Human mouthwash for dog?

Breed: Poodle
Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a little in her water - just occasionally, and was wondering if it was safe for her
I brush her teeth with doggie tooth paste at bath time.
Thank you
D

No, it's not a good idea to use human mouthwash in your dog's mouth.

The biggest concern is that mouthwash is not meant to be swallowed. It would be very hard to teach your dog to rinse her mouth and then spit!

Next, there really aren't any studies that I can find that show that mouthwash helps to reduce plaque and tartar. Additionally, it can cause staining of the teeth.

Most likely, mixing it in her water would not add any benefit at all to Noodle's oral health.

Keep up with the brushing. This is one of the best things that you can do. If the teeth are getting a lot of tartar or if the gums are getting red, then she will need to have a dental cleaning under anesthetic.

Thanks for an interesting question!

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (10653 views)

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (43634 views)

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (13402 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (16483 views)

Fever and dizziness in older dog. Dear Dr. Marie, Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to... (5859 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (27828 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (6694 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (33424 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (11979 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (51218 views)