Licking at lump on leg.

Breed: Carine Terrier
Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I wasnt able to do the chat which would've been wonderful.
My dog Hokuto is a Carine Terrier (i hope it's spelled right) and he has this random lump on his leg. I am really worried. It's been there since we got him which was about 4 years ago. It is growing bigger and bigger and he keeps licking it. I am really scared and worried. Please help me. Thank you. (:

Hi Sachiyo, thanks for using my website!

Lumps are always hard to diagnose over the internet. So, I will give you some ideas, but ultimately a vet visit is probably necessary.

There are a good number of lumps on dogs that are benign (i.e. not cancer). Some of them can even grow to a very large size.

However, I am concerned by the fact that he keeps licking at it. Most benign tumors are not bothersome at all to the dog.

It is also possible that what Hokuto has is something called a lick granuloma. These are not cancerous. They are usually on a leg. The way to treat a lick granuloma is to get the dog to stop licking for long enough to let the area heal. Usually, medicines are needed such as creams or oral medicines to keep the dog from licking, so it is a good idea to have your vet take a look.

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (72628 views)

Pancreatitis My dog had an exploratory Lap. done 3 days ago to rule out a foreign body. She had... (17864 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (6269 views)

The euthanasia procedure. I had to euthanize my 18.5 year old cat Quincy on Monday. He suffered from CRF and... (15820 views)

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (9437 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (21539 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (13687 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (10159 views)

Pink lump on puppy's belly. Dr, I noticed a wart-like bump on Max's abdomen. I am sending along... (85136 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (76274 views)