Licking at lump on leg.

Breed: Carine Terrier
Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I wasnt able to do the chat which would've been wonderful.
My dog Hokuto is a Carine Terrier (i hope it's spelled right) and he has this random lump on his leg. I am really worried. It's been there since we got him which was about 4 years ago. It is growing bigger and bigger and he keeps licking it. I am really scared and worried. Please help me. Thank you. (:

Hi Sachiyo, thanks for using my website!

Lumps are always hard to diagnose over the internet. So, I will give you some ideas, but ultimately a vet visit is probably necessary.

There are a good number of lumps on dogs that are benign (i.e. not cancer). Some of them can even grow to a very large size.

However, I am concerned by the fact that he keeps licking at it. Most benign tumors are not bothersome at all to the dog.

It is also possible that what Hokuto has is something called a lick granuloma. These are not cancerous. They are usually on a leg. The way to treat a lick granuloma is to get the dog to stop licking for long enough to let the area heal. Usually, medicines are needed such as creams or oral medicines to keep the dog from licking, so it is a good idea to have your vet take a look.

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (7617 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (44760 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (40483 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (6162 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (12197 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (11140 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (8787 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (9940 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (22508 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis. Jet has started making sounds like he is gasping for breath and then coughs. This... (14046 views)