Can't get rid of fleas.

Breed: Labrador
Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes red, flaky, and he gets greenish scabs. He also has been loosing a lot of hair. On his thigh their are patches of missing hair. He's also only been eating once a day which is unusual for a young dog like him. We thought the problem was the fleas and ticks but no matter what we do we can't get rid of the insects! Medication, spraying the grass with repellents, and flea shampoos are some of the things we've done and none of it works. What are some suggestions that you can give me?

Fleas can be frustrating. The best advice I can give is to get rid of any over the counter products and use prescription products from your vet. I've written an article about fleas that will tell you exactly how to get rid of them - guaranteed!

However, if Mocha has green scabs then there may be some skin infection as a result of the irritation from the fleas. If this is the case, he will need to get oral antibiotics prescribed by his veterinarian.

I hope things improve soon!

Puppy has soft stools. Background: Junior is a rescue. My first dog ever. I got him about 1 month ago,... (9559 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (10463 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (11412 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (10880 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (14640 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (13857 views)

Facial lymph nodes and teething. Hi Dr. Marie, After a lot of investigating w/ my own regular vet (very... (12460 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (8553 views)

Questions from a student? I have a grade 6 student doing a research project on Veteranarians. Could she use... (7730 views)

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (15014 views)