Dog died suddenly.

Breed: lab
My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been eating/drinking fine and going to the bathroom fine. She was as playful as she always is. I was treating her ears for mites.The last few days she found a chew toy that she hadn't seen if a while but it has been inside and she kinda whinned over it if she lost site of it. My son left for the military a few weeks ago and they were very close. He talked to her on the phone the other night(the first time since he left). Today she was curled up on her bed as my husband and other son played xbox. Piper let out a loud yell and then another and then she was gone. This has been so shocking to us and we have no idea what happened. Can you tell us what you think might have happened? Our daugher is distraugt and I really dread tell our son that is away.

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that this happened.

It is really uncommon for a young dog to die suddenly like this. It's really going to be hard to say what happened, but here are a few possibilities.

The first is something called a thymic rupture. The thymus is in the chest of young dogs. It can occasionally spontaneously rupture and bleed into the chest. This is really rare.

It's also possible that she was born with a heart condition. However, if she ever had a vet exam, the vet should have noticed a heart murmur if there was a problem.

It's possible that she had eaten something unusual that had penetrated her intestines or stomach, but this really shouldn't cause a sudden death.

I wish I could give you a more definite answer.

If you would like to, you are welcome to send me a picture and a story of Piper's life for me to post on her blog. I have started to publish pet memorials as a service to people who use Ask A Vet Question. Here is my first one that I published:

In memory of Emmy

If you'd like to send me info on Piper, you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Pine bedding and gerbils. Hi, We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I... (5950 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (5051 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (5019 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (6039 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (21525 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (13622 views)

Coughing cat. i have a indoor cat - about 10 years old... she had been staying in our... (8480 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (13314 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (6554 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (6874 views)