Dog died suddenly.

Breed: lab
My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been eating/drinking fine and going to the bathroom fine. She was as playful as she always is. I was treating her ears for mites.The last few days she found a chew toy that she hadn't seen if a while but it has been inside and she kinda whinned over it if she lost site of it. My son left for the military a few weeks ago and they were very close. He talked to her on the phone the other night(the first time since he left). Today she was curled up on her bed as my husband and other son played xbox. Piper let out a loud yell and then another and then she was gone. This has been so shocking to us and we have no idea what happened. Can you tell us what you think might have happened? Our daugher is distraugt and I really dread tell our son that is away.

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that this happened.

It is really uncommon for a young dog to die suddenly like this. It's really going to be hard to say what happened, but here are a few possibilities.

The first is something called a thymic rupture. The thymus is in the chest of young dogs. It can occasionally spontaneously rupture and bleed into the chest. This is really rare.

It's also possible that she was born with a heart condition. However, if she ever had a vet exam, the vet should have noticed a heart murmur if there was a problem.

It's possible that she had eaten something unusual that had penetrated her intestines or stomach, but this really shouldn't cause a sudden death.

I wish I could give you a more definite answer.

If you would like to, you are welcome to send me a picture and a story of Piper's life for me to post on her blog. I have started to publish pet memorials as a service to people who use Ask A Vet Question. Here is my first one that I published:

In memory of Emmy

If you'd like to send me info on Piper, you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (18942 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (12593 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (9425 views)

Broken leg - not eating. Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet... (3721 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (16623 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (7599 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (4595 views)

Cat meows constantly. Hello- Our 8 year old male cat meows constantly, and he does things like dribble... (7508 views)

Dog ate a dead bird. he ate a dead bird today,hes been sick once,he seems fine and hes eating,should i... (21601 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (30292 views)