Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog died suddenly.

Species: Dog
Breed: lab
Age: 1-2 years
My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been eating/drinking fine and going to the bathroom fine. She was as playful as she always is. I was treating her ears for mites.The last few days she found a chew toy that she hadn't seen if a while but it has been inside and she kinda whinned over it if she lost site of it. My son left for the military a few weeks ago and they were very close. He talked to her on the phone the other night(the first time since he left). Today she was curled up on her bed as my husband and other son played xbox. Piper let out a loud yell and then another and then she was gone. This has been so shocking to us and we have no idea what happened. Can you tell us what you think might have happened? Our daugher is distraugt and I really dread tell our son that is away.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that this happened.

It is really uncommon for a young dog to die suddenly like this. It's really going to be hard to say what happened, but here are a few possibilities.

The first is something called a thymic rupture. The thymus is in the chest of young dogs. It can occasionally spontaneously rupture and bleed into the chest. This is really rare.

It's also possible that she was born with a heart condition. However, if she ever had a vet exam, the vet should have noticed a heart murmur if there was a problem.

It's possible that she had eaten something unusual that had penetrated her intestines or stomach, but this really shouldn't cause a sudden death.

I wish I could give you a more definite answer.

If you would like to, you are welcome to send me a picture and a story of Piper's life for me to post on her blog. I have started to publish pet memorials as a service to people who use Ask A Vet Question. Here is my first one that I published:

In memory of Emmy

If you'd like to send me info on Piper, you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

calamine lotion on dogs Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some... (97774 views)

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (12367 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (20084 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (13943 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (18089 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (28780 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (40620 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (18345 views)

Maltese has bald spot on head. We have a two year old Maltese that had a small bald spot on her head when we got... (14437 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (17272 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.