Dog died suddenly.

Breed: lab
My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been eating/drinking fine and going to the bathroom fine. She was as playful as she always is. I was treating her ears for mites.The last few days she found a chew toy that she hadn't seen if a while but it has been inside and she kinda whinned over it if she lost site of it. My son left for the military a few weeks ago and they were very close. He talked to her on the phone the other night(the first time since he left). Today she was curled up on her bed as my husband and other son played xbox. Piper let out a loud yell and then another and then she was gone. This has been so shocking to us and we have no idea what happened. Can you tell us what you think might have happened? Our daugher is distraugt and I really dread tell our son that is away.

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that this happened.

It is really uncommon for a young dog to die suddenly like this. It's really going to be hard to say what happened, but here are a few possibilities.

The first is something called a thymic rupture. The thymus is in the chest of young dogs. It can occasionally spontaneously rupture and bleed into the chest. This is really rare.

It's also possible that she was born with a heart condition. However, if she ever had a vet exam, the vet should have noticed a heart murmur if there was a problem.

It's possible that she had eaten something unusual that had penetrated her intestines or stomach, but this really shouldn't cause a sudden death.

I wish I could give you a more definite answer.

If you would like to, you are welcome to send me a picture and a story of Piper's life for me to post on her blog. I have started to publish pet memorials as a service to people who use Ask A Vet Question. Here is my first one that I published:

In memory of Emmy

If you'd like to send me info on Piper, you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Inverted vulva and puppy vaginitis. I have purchased a Golden Retriever to be used as a new dog for breeding. She is... (40630 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (5543 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (9606 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (17372 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (11504 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (19986 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (10664 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (48567 views)

1 month puppy can't poop. She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving... (12364 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (7948 views)