How does a vet put a dog to sleep?

Breed: rottweiler
i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in the room with him while the vet puts him down

I'm very sorry to hear that it is time for euthanasia for Buddy.

In most vet's offices you are given an option as to whether you would like to stay with the dog or not.

I'll describe what happens in our office in case you would like some more information about how things are likely to go.

We generally will take care of all of the paperwork first. The paperwork includes signing a form to give permission for the euthanasia and paying the bill.

Your vet may give you different options as far as burial/cremation goes. Many times you will be given the option of having the dog cremated and having the ashes returned to you.

In our office we will usually give the dog an injection of some sedative. This will take anywhere from 5-15 minutes to start working. Most dogs are not completely asleep but are quite a bit quieter than usual.

Then, our staff places an intravenous catheter. This helps ensure that the final injection goes smoothly.

Then, the vet will administer the injection. What most vets use is an overdose of pentobarbitol which is an anesthetic. In most cases the drug will affect the brain first and cause the dog to become completely unconscious. Then, within a few seconds the heart will stop.

I find that 99% of the time the procedure is quite peaceful. Sometimes though we get a dog who will make a noise, or a sigh or have a muscle contraction as they are passing away.

I really hope everything goes smoothly for you and I'm very sorry for your loss.

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (20439 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (14045 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (22973 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (59524 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (15078 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (11829 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (5195 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (15554 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (10478 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (19703 views)