How does a vet put a dog to sleep?

Breed: rottweiler
i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in the room with him while the vet puts him down

I'm very sorry to hear that it is time for euthanasia for Buddy.

In most vet's offices you are given an option as to whether you would like to stay with the dog or not.

I'll describe what happens in our office in case you would like some more information about how things are likely to go.

We generally will take care of all of the paperwork first. The paperwork includes signing a form to give permission for the euthanasia and paying the bill.

Your vet may give you different options as far as burial/cremation goes. Many times you will be given the option of having the dog cremated and having the ashes returned to you.

In our office we will usually give the dog an injection of some sedative. This will take anywhere from 5-15 minutes to start working. Most dogs are not completely asleep but are quite a bit quieter than usual.

Then, our staff places an intravenous catheter. This helps ensure that the final injection goes smoothly.

Then, the vet will administer the injection. What most vets use is an overdose of pentobarbitol which is an anesthetic. In most cases the drug will affect the brain first and cause the dog to become completely unconscious. Then, within a few seconds the heart will stop.

I find that 99% of the time the procedure is quite peaceful. Sometimes though we get a dog who will make a noise, or a sigh or have a muscle contraction as they are passing away.

I really hope everything goes smoothly for you and I'm very sorry for your loss.

No bowel movements after parvo. I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone... (23511 views)

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (35680 views)

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (9043 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (7523 views)

Possible seizures? Our cat, Teddy, started having episodes of rigid front legs, swaying, and staggering... (7280 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (5048 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (6750 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (12605 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (30284 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (7602 views)