How does a vet put a dog to sleep?

Breed: rottweiler
i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in the room with him while the vet puts him down

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

I'm very sorry to hear that it is time for euthanasia for Buddy.

In most vet's offices you are given an option as to whether you would like to stay with the dog or not.

I'll describe what happens in our office in case you would like some more information about how things are likely to go.

We generally will take care of all of the paperwork first. The paperwork includes signing a form to give permission for the euthanasia and paying the bill.

Your vet may give you different options as far as burial/cremation goes. Many times you will be given the option of having the dog cremated and having the ashes returned to you.

In our office we will usually give the dog an injection of some sedative. This will take anywhere from 5-15 minutes to start working. Most dogs are not completely asleep but are quite a bit quieter than usual.

Then, our staff places an intravenous catheter. This helps ensure that the final injection goes smoothly.

Then, the vet will administer the injection. What most vets use is an overdose of pentobarbitol which is an anesthetic. In most cases the drug will affect the brain first and cause the dog to become completely unconscious. Then, within a few seconds the heart will stop.

I find that 99% of the time the procedure is quite peaceful. Sometimes though we get a dog who will make a noise, or a sigh or have a muscle contraction as they are passing away.

I really hope everything goes smoothly for you and I'm very sorry for your loss.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (25413 views)

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (7613 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (8639 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (39362 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (7970 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (7791 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (5330 views)

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (2843 views)

Pooping in the house. Hi Ipurchased a dog from a pet rescue organisation in Sydney just over three months... (7835 views)

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (5535 views)