How does a vet put a dog to sleep?

Breed: rottweiler
i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in the room with him while the vet puts him down

I'm very sorry to hear that it is time for euthanasia for Buddy.

In most vet's offices you are given an option as to whether you would like to stay with the dog or not.

I'll describe what happens in our office in case you would like some more information about how things are likely to go.

We generally will take care of all of the paperwork first. The paperwork includes signing a form to give permission for the euthanasia and paying the bill.

Your vet may give you different options as far as burial/cremation goes. Many times you will be given the option of having the dog cremated and having the ashes returned to you.

In our office we will usually give the dog an injection of some sedative. This will take anywhere from 5-15 minutes to start working. Most dogs are not completely asleep but are quite a bit quieter than usual.

Then, our staff places an intravenous catheter. This helps ensure that the final injection goes smoothly.

Then, the vet will administer the injection. What most vets use is an overdose of pentobarbitol which is an anesthetic. In most cases the drug will affect the brain first and cause the dog to become completely unconscious. Then, within a few seconds the heart will stop.

I find that 99% of the time the procedure is quite peaceful. Sometimes though we get a dog who will make a noise, or a sigh or have a muscle contraction as they are passing away.

I really hope everything goes smoothly for you and I'm very sorry for your loss.

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (3232 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (6647 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (5791 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (5529 views)

Health problems. WE DO NEED A QUICK ANSWER, BUT IN CASE DOG WILL HANG ON, HERE GOES: 10 YRS OLD... (5701 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (52368 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (5553 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (3007 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (8987 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (13757 views)