How does a vet put a dog to sleep?

Breed: rottweiler
i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in the room with him while the vet puts him down

I'm very sorry to hear that it is time for euthanasia for Buddy.

In most vet's offices you are given an option as to whether you would like to stay with the dog or not.

I'll describe what happens in our office in case you would like some more information about how things are likely to go.

We generally will take care of all of the paperwork first. The paperwork includes signing a form to give permission for the euthanasia and paying the bill.

Your vet may give you different options as far as burial/cremation goes. Many times you will be given the option of having the dog cremated and having the ashes returned to you.

In our office we will usually give the dog an injection of some sedative. This will take anywhere from 5-15 minutes to start working. Most dogs are not completely asleep but are quite a bit quieter than usual.

Then, our staff places an intravenous catheter. This helps ensure that the final injection goes smoothly.

Then, the vet will administer the injection. What most vets use is an overdose of pentobarbitol which is an anesthetic. In most cases the drug will affect the brain first and cause the dog to become completely unconscious. Then, within a few seconds the heart will stop.

I find that 99% of the time the procedure is quite peaceful. Sometimes though we get a dog who will make a noise, or a sigh or have a muscle contraction as they are passing away.

I really hope everything goes smoothly for you and I'm very sorry for your loss.

Losing weight but lab tests normal. My cat is losing weight, vomiting, more vocal than normal, lethargic and hungry all... (6973 views)

Blood in urine. I have taken my dog to 2 vets, and had numerous tests. I noticed she was peeing... (3120 views)

Blood in stools. My dog has bright red blood in his stools. He is in good form, jumping around and... (8540 views)

Sore chihuahua My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he... (5317 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (11335 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (11602 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (12491 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (8639 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (15702 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (11789 views)