How does a vet put a dog to sleep?

Breed: rottweiler
i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in the room with him while the vet puts him down

I'm very sorry to hear that it is time for euthanasia for Buddy.

In most vet's offices you are given an option as to whether you would like to stay with the dog or not.

I'll describe what happens in our office in case you would like some more information about how things are likely to go.

We generally will take care of all of the paperwork first. The paperwork includes signing a form to give permission for the euthanasia and paying the bill.

Your vet may give you different options as far as burial/cremation goes. Many times you will be given the option of having the dog cremated and having the ashes returned to you.

In our office we will usually give the dog an injection of some sedative. This will take anywhere from 5-15 minutes to start working. Most dogs are not completely asleep but are quite a bit quieter than usual.

Then, our staff places an intravenous catheter. This helps ensure that the final injection goes smoothly.

Then, the vet will administer the injection. What most vets use is an overdose of pentobarbitol which is an anesthetic. In most cases the drug will affect the brain first and cause the dog to become completely unconscious. Then, within a few seconds the heart will stop.

I find that 99% of the time the procedure is quite peaceful. Sometimes though we get a dog who will make a noise, or a sigh or have a muscle contraction as they are passing away.

I really hope everything goes smoothly for you and I'm very sorry for your loss.

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (5371 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (13936 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (12573 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (6578 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (30649 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (21788 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (50147 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (8164 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (11662 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (21941 views)