Old deaf dog.

Breed: terrier cross
my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left, although there is another dog in the house, is there anything we can give him to help calm him down

Sorry to hear that your dog is having problems.

There are a few things that could potentially help your dog.

Some dogs as they get older can get something called cognitive dysfunction. This is similar to senility in people. Dogs with this condition can often be helped by medication called either Anipryl or Novofit or a food called Hill's b/d. However, they are not miracle cures.

We don't generally prescribe sedatives to help older dogs in this situation, but sometimes we will prescribe anti-anxiety medications such as amitryptiline or clomicalm.

You may also want to have your vet examine Seb to determine if he has any arthritis which is really common in older dogs. If so, a trial of anti-inflammatory medication may be very helpful.

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (10027 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (10437 views)

Trouble moving. Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~ Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He... (12331 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (13075 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (6951 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (19522 views)

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (36540 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (17577 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (10381 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (14569 views)