Old deaf dog.

Breed: terrier cross
my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left, although there is another dog in the house, is there anything we can give him to help calm him down

Sorry to hear that your dog is having problems.

There are a few things that could potentially help your dog.

Some dogs as they get older can get something called cognitive dysfunction. This is similar to senility in people. Dogs with this condition can often be helped by medication called either Anipryl or Novofit or a food called Hill's b/d. However, they are not miracle cures.

We don't generally prescribe sedatives to help older dogs in this situation, but sometimes we will prescribe anti-anxiety medications such as amitryptiline or clomicalm.

You may also want to have your vet examine Seb to determine if he has any arthritis which is really common in older dogs. If so, a trial of anti-inflammatory medication may be very helpful.

Stinky skin in pug. My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started... (17644 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (11698 views)

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (7314 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (7625 views)

Rubs his nose in vomit. A couple of times in the last few weeks, Atka has gotten sick to his stomach and... (9776 views)

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (8775 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (24390 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (4789 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (8179 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (10299 views)