Old deaf dog.

Breed: terrier cross
my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left, although there is another dog in the house, is there anything we can give him to help calm him down

Sorry to hear that your dog is having problems.

There are a few things that could potentially help your dog.

Some dogs as they get older can get something called cognitive dysfunction. This is similar to senility in people. Dogs with this condition can often be helped by medication called either Anipryl or Novofit or a food called Hill's b/d. However, they are not miracle cures.

We don't generally prescribe sedatives to help older dogs in this situation, but sometimes we will prescribe anti-anxiety medications such as amitryptiline or clomicalm.

You may also want to have your vet examine Seb to determine if he has any arthritis which is really common in older dogs. If so, a trial of anti-inflammatory medication may be very helpful.

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (15676 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (26364 views)

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (12469 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (8326 views)

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (120566 views)

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (10109 views)

Swollen nipple. I have a female dog that was fixed 6 years ago. She has 1 nipple that is swollen to... (27516 views)

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (11536 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (61061 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (16134 views)