Old deaf dog.

Breed: terrier cross
my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left, although there is another dog in the house, is there anything we can give him to help calm him down

Sorry to hear that your dog is having problems.

There are a few things that could potentially help your dog.

Some dogs as they get older can get something called cognitive dysfunction. This is similar to senility in people. Dogs with this condition can often be helped by medication called either Anipryl or Novofit or a food called Hill's b/d. However, they are not miracle cures.

We don't generally prescribe sedatives to help older dogs in this situation, but sometimes we will prescribe anti-anxiety medications such as amitryptiline or clomicalm.

You may also want to have your vet examine Seb to determine if he has any arthritis which is really common in older dogs. If so, a trial of anti-inflammatory medication may be very helpful.

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (15160 views)

Wobbly drooling kitten. I have a 6 month old tabby and a few days ago he started walking almost bow legged... (12486 views)

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (30147 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (8171 views)

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (13505 views)

Vet didn't ask my permission. I came home to find my beloved cat unable to stand (seemed drunken) and felt cooler... (8292 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (4080 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (19537 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (15565 views)

Black lumps in a cat's ear. I recently noticed two black spots in one of my cat's ears. They haven't always been... (18552 views)