Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Did I do the right thing?

Species: Cat
Breed: Black and White Tabb
Age: 11-15 years
Hello Dr. Marie,
I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday and I am second guessing myself on the decision I made. A couple of nights ago my cat woke me at 4am crying pitifully at the bottom of the stairs. She had apparently fell down the stairs and had wiped out her food and water tray. She had also apparently defecated on the carpet up stairs and vomited before falling. She could not stand but was trying. I carefully picked her up and laid her down in the living room floor. She would try to stand but would just flop over. She would only lay on her left side. I took her to the vet. No injuries were found. Reflexes normal. Pupils responsive although she seemed to have difficulty focusing. She would try to raise her head and look around but could not maintain this but a few seconds. The Vet said it could be a brain lesion or possibly Vestibular Syndrome. I later learned the difference between central and peripheral vestibular syndrome. It seemed she fit the Central form though I cannot be sure. The vet gave her a anti nausea shot. After 24 hours she still could not move off her left side. She would not eat drink, or urinate. She also was drooling. I took her back to the Vet who offered to express her bladder and give an IV but indicated the odds were that she would not recover. So I opted to have her put down which the Vet said was not a "wrong" decision. She was an older cat and I felt she was suffering. I keep thinking maybe she could have pulled through. But I know now it's too late. Still I feel terrible. If you have any comments it will be appreciated. It has been therapeutic just to write this. Thank you.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that you and Miss Kitty went through this.

I can't think of anything that this could have been that would have been treatable. This does not sound like a vestibular condition that would have gone away on its own.

I'm so sorry for your loss but it sounds like nothing could have been done.

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (6890 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (6668 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (12989 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (8143 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (7009 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (10454 views)

Mom misses puppies. Our boxer had 2 pups both died, she has taken on a stuffed animal replacement but is... (7566 views)

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (13047 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (104294 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (4595 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.