Did I do the right thing?

Breed: Black and White Tabb
Hello Dr. Marie,
I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday and I am second guessing myself on the decision I made. A couple of nights ago my cat woke me at 4am crying pitifully at the bottom of the stairs. She had apparently fell down the stairs and had wiped out her food and water tray. She had also apparently defecated on the carpet up stairs and vomited before falling. She could not stand but was trying. I carefully picked her up and laid her down in the living room floor. She would try to stand but would just flop over. She would only lay on her left side. I took her to the vet. No injuries were found. Reflexes normal. Pupils responsive although she seemed to have difficulty focusing. She would try to raise her head and look around but could not maintain this but a few seconds. The Vet said it could be a brain lesion or possibly Vestibular Syndrome. I later learned the difference between central and peripheral vestibular syndrome. It seemed she fit the Central form though I cannot be sure. The vet gave her a anti nausea shot. After 24 hours she still could not move off her left side. She would not eat drink, or urinate. She also was drooling. I took her back to the Vet who offered to express her bladder and give an IV but indicated the odds were that she would not recover. So I opted to have her put down which the Vet said was not a "wrong" decision. She was an older cat and I felt she was suffering. I keep thinking maybe she could have pulled through. But I know now it's too late. Still I feel terrible. If you have any comments it will be appreciated. It has been therapeutic just to write this. Thank you.

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that you and Miss Kitty went through this.

I can't think of anything that this could have been that would have been treatable. This does not sound like a vestibular condition that would have gone away on its own.

I'm so sorry for your loss but it sounds like nothing could have been done.

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (13079 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (10280 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (6565 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (9462 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (7299 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (32416 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (24679 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (19131 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (16579 views)

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (10217 views)