Did I do the right thing?

Breed: Black and White Tabb
Hello Dr. Marie,
I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday and I am second guessing myself on the decision I made. A couple of nights ago my cat woke me at 4am crying pitifully at the bottom of the stairs. She had apparently fell down the stairs and had wiped out her food and water tray. She had also apparently defecated on the carpet up stairs and vomited before falling. She could not stand but was trying. I carefully picked her up and laid her down in the living room floor. She would try to stand but would just flop over. She would only lay on her left side. I took her to the vet. No injuries were found. Reflexes normal. Pupils responsive although she seemed to have difficulty focusing. She would try to raise her head and look around but could not maintain this but a few seconds. The Vet said it could be a brain lesion or possibly Vestibular Syndrome. I later learned the difference between central and peripheral vestibular syndrome. It seemed she fit the Central form though I cannot be sure. The vet gave her a anti nausea shot. After 24 hours she still could not move off her left side. She would not eat drink, or urinate. She also was drooling. I took her back to the Vet who offered to express her bladder and give an IV but indicated the odds were that she would not recover. So I opted to have her put down which the Vet said was not a "wrong" decision. She was an older cat and I felt she was suffering. I keep thinking maybe she could have pulled through. But I know now it's too late. Still I feel terrible. If you have any comments it will be appreciated. It has been therapeutic just to write this. Thank you.

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that you and Miss Kitty went through this.

I can't think of anything that this could have been that would have been treatable. This does not sound like a vestibular condition that would have gone away on its own.

I'm so sorry for your loss but it sounds like nothing could have been done.

Will one grape hurt my dog? (103401 views)

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (13986 views)

Good cat foods. Hi Dr.! I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new... (13954 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (7594 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (4487 views)

Repeated ear infections. Hi! My dog Opie is a five-and-a-half-year-old, male (neutered) red sable... (11269 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (23011 views)

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (14624 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (4781 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (12037 views)