Did I do the right thing?

Breed: Black and White Tabb
Hello Dr. Marie,
I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday and I am second guessing myself on the decision I made. A couple of nights ago my cat woke me at 4am crying pitifully at the bottom of the stairs. She had apparently fell down the stairs and had wiped out her food and water tray. She had also apparently defecated on the carpet up stairs and vomited before falling. She could not stand but was trying. I carefully picked her up and laid her down in the living room floor. She would try to stand but would just flop over. She would only lay on her left side. I took her to the vet. No injuries were found. Reflexes normal. Pupils responsive although she seemed to have difficulty focusing. She would try to raise her head and look around but could not maintain this but a few seconds. The Vet said it could be a brain lesion or possibly Vestibular Syndrome. I later learned the difference between central and peripheral vestibular syndrome. It seemed she fit the Central form though I cannot be sure. The vet gave her a anti nausea shot. After 24 hours she still could not move off her left side. She would not eat drink, or urinate. She also was drooling. I took her back to the Vet who offered to express her bladder and give an IV but indicated the odds were that she would not recover. So I opted to have her put down which the Vet said was not a "wrong" decision. She was an older cat and I felt she was suffering. I keep thinking maybe she could have pulled through. But I know now it's too late. Still I feel terrible. If you have any comments it will be appreciated. It has been therapeutic just to write this. Thank you.

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that you and Miss Kitty went through this.

I can't think of anything that this could have been that would have been treatable. This does not sound like a vestibular condition that would have gone away on its own.

I'm so sorry for your loss but it sounds like nothing could have been done.

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (5923 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (21860 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (6418 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (22782 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (13933 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (70890 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (6301 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (22097 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (17929 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (9789 views)