Not nursing, diarrhea.

Breed: domestic shorthair
We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older than the other. JJ is 18 days old and part of the younger litter. He had a bit of diarrhea out of the blue. He is still nursing. Both mom cats will nurse any or all of the kittens at any given time. We have three, JJ included, that are a bit smaller than the others. The one mom cat is the daughter of the other. The "veteran" mom cat cleans the babies backsides, where as the younger one doesn't as often. It has also been very hot in my area, and we try to keep them all as cool as possible. Since his bout of diarrhea, he did nurse once, but his mom didn't nurse him long. Could his diarrhea be caused by the heat or maybe a lack of nursing or lack of bottom care from a mom cat? Would he and the other smaller ones benefit from supplementation of kitten formula?

Sorry to hear that JJ is not feeling 100%. I do get concerned when a kitten doesn't want to nurse as much as the others. This can often be a sign that they are not doing well.

There are several possible causes for the diarrhea. A parasite is possible. You would expect that all of the cats would have diarrhea if this was the case, but it's possible that JJ is the first one to get sick.

It may be a good idea to deworm the moms with a regular over the counter roundworm dewormer. The babies are actually old enough for dewormer as well.

However, there is also the possibility that JJ has a more serious illness. When kittens are this young, some type of congenital problem is possible, meaning that something may not be formed properly such as intestines or liver. If this is the case then we may not be able to fix him.

It is possible that mom is not nursing JJ properly. However, it's a little strange for her to be nursing the other kittens and not him. Sometimes when a mom decides not to nurse a baby it is because she knows there is a serious problem with him. You could definitely try to put him on the more veteran mom to see if he will nurse off of her.

Ultimately, it would be great to have a vet take a look at JJ and also examine his feces for parasites. There are some parasites that are not killed by regular dewormer.

It is super important for him to eat, so if he won't nurse off of either mom then yes, you may need to get some kitten milk replacer for him.

I hope he does ok!

He was nursing off the other mom cat a bit but then she went to get some water for herself. I will get the dewormer this weekend. I also worry about the how the heat is affect the little ones as well as the mom cats. Thank you so much for being here to answer people's questions. I will continue to monitor to see if he has another episode.

You're very welcome.

Heat alone should not cause diarrhea in a kitten, especially if it is just one who is affected. Unfortunately I am quite worried about the little guy. :(

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (7440 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (8915 views)

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (4667 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (4652 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (5147 views)

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (11622 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (18457 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (13979 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (9345 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (6709 views)