Drooling and twitching.

Breed: Mini American Eskimo
My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The breeder said it could be from being nervous, and we also took him in the car. He was asleep and began to twitch and shake a lot, and his eyes were also rolling back/twitching and I went over to wake him up but he did not respond until I physically picked him up, and he was very wet under his mouth from drool. Is this normal... for the sleep behaviour and the drooling? Or should I be worried?

Interesting question.

I'll start with the twitching while he was sleeping. This was most likely a dream. If it was a seizure you would find that he would not wake up, even when picked up.

There are lots of different reasons for a dog to drool. Is he eating ok? Drooling can be a sign that he is nauseous.

It's also possible that he ate something that has disagreed with him. If a dog has eaten something that really tastes bad then they can drool for quite a while.

Have you used any over the counter flea control products? If so, some of those can be toxic. Some flea products can cause twitching as well.

If there are more twitching episodes then it is possible that Milo is having seizures. This is really uncommon in a young puppy.

If the symptoms continue then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope all is well!

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (57613 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (4097 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (19713 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (14100 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5131 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (16345 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (15109 views)

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (17077 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (17506 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (9492 views)