Drooling and twitching.

Breed: Mini American Eskimo
My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The breeder said it could be from being nervous, and we also took him in the car. He was asleep and began to twitch and shake a lot, and his eyes were also rolling back/twitching and I went over to wake him up but he did not respond until I physically picked him up, and he was very wet under his mouth from drool. Is this normal... for the sleep behaviour and the drooling? Or should I be worried?

Interesting question.

I'll start with the twitching while he was sleeping. This was most likely a dream. If it was a seizure you would find that he would not wake up, even when picked up.

There are lots of different reasons for a dog to drool. Is he eating ok? Drooling can be a sign that he is nauseous.

It's also possible that he ate something that has disagreed with him. If a dog has eaten something that really tastes bad then they can drool for quite a while.

Have you used any over the counter flea control products? If so, some of those can be toxic. Some flea products can cause twitching as well.

If there are more twitching episodes then it is possible that Milo is having seizures. This is really uncommon in a young puppy.

If the symptoms continue then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope all is well!

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (54718 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (6630 views)

Diarrhea and pale gums in a kitten. My cat has dirra for about two week i have notice his gum is pale pink what should... (9814 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (16800 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (6888 views)

Bladder cancer. Our almost 10 year old kitty has had three recurrent bouts of uti or cystitis in the... (5875 views)

Is this a flea problem? My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We... (9499 views)

Dog has smelly ears. hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come... (5811 views)

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (10204 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (21573 views)