Drooling and twitching.

Breed: Mini American Eskimo
My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The breeder said it could be from being nervous, and we also took him in the car. He was asleep and began to twitch and shake a lot, and his eyes were also rolling back/twitching and I went over to wake him up but he did not respond until I physically picked him up, and he was very wet under his mouth from drool. Is this normal... for the sleep behaviour and the drooling? Or should I be worried?

Interesting question.

I'll start with the twitching while he was sleeping. This was most likely a dream. If it was a seizure you would find that he would not wake up, even when picked up.

There are lots of different reasons for a dog to drool. Is he eating ok? Drooling can be a sign that he is nauseous.

It's also possible that he ate something that has disagreed with him. If a dog has eaten something that really tastes bad then they can drool for quite a while.

Have you used any over the counter flea control products? If so, some of those can be toxic. Some flea products can cause twitching as well.

If there are more twitching episodes then it is possible that Milo is having seizures. This is really uncommon in a young puppy.

If the symptoms continue then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope all is well!

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (14276 views)

Gentamycin and deafness? Hope you can help with my question. I have a 11 year old cat named Emma, that has... (5421 views)

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (52938 views)

Bump in dog's mouth. My dog was taken for a walk her ball went under a car, she retreived her ball... (7859 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (8254 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (6687 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (11226 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (7486 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (15799 views)

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (8602 views)