Drooling and twitching.

Breed: Mini American Eskimo
My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The breeder said it could be from being nervous, and we also took him in the car. He was asleep and began to twitch and shake a lot, and his eyes were also rolling back/twitching and I went over to wake him up but he did not respond until I physically picked him up, and he was very wet under his mouth from drool. Is this normal... for the sleep behaviour and the drooling? Or should I be worried?

Interesting question.

I'll start with the twitching while he was sleeping. This was most likely a dream. If it was a seizure you would find that he would not wake up, even when picked up.

There are lots of different reasons for a dog to drool. Is he eating ok? Drooling can be a sign that he is nauseous.

It's also possible that he ate something that has disagreed with him. If a dog has eaten something that really tastes bad then they can drool for quite a while.

Have you used any over the counter flea control products? If so, some of those can be toxic. Some flea products can cause twitching as well.

If there are more twitching episodes then it is possible that Milo is having seizures. This is really uncommon in a young puppy.

If the symptoms continue then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope all is well!

Guinea pig biting. How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me? Recently my... (10245 views)

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (20621 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (78533 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (11477 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (12574 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (7867 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (35858 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (27452 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (9793 views)

Regular anal gland expression. Hello, I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I... (8864 views)