Relation of weight to skin problems.

Breed:
I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the Veterinary Office and Animal Care programme. I'm doing a project on dermatology and I was wondeing if a pet;s weight has any effect on the dermatological health of the animal?

Thank you for your time

Lauren Hastie

Hi Lauren and thanks for an interesting question.

I can think of a few situations where a pet's weight could influence their dermatological health.

I will often see extremely overweight cats that will have difficulty cleaning their hind end. They can get severe infections around the anus from urine and fecal scalding.

Fat cats will often have a lot of dandruff on their back because they can't get to this area to groom it.

In overweight dogs we will often see skin fold infections in places like around the vulva.

Some animals are overweight because of hypothryoidism. Hypothyroid dogs will often have hair loss and be prone to skin infections as well.

I hope that helps!

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (7102 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (15626 views)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (12636 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (15917 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (11510 views)

Ear problems. Charlie has possibly caught ear mites. He his continuously scratching for minutes... (8570 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (12416 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (10580 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (30275 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (27287 views)