Relation of weight to skin problems.

Breed:
I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the Veterinary Office and Animal Care programme. I'm doing a project on dermatology and I was wondeing if a pet;s weight has any effect on the dermatological health of the animal?

Thank you for your time

Lauren Hastie

Hi Lauren and thanks for an interesting question.

I can think of a few situations where a pet's weight could influence their dermatological health.

I will often see extremely overweight cats that will have difficulty cleaning their hind end. They can get severe infections around the anus from urine and fecal scalding.

Fat cats will often have a lot of dandruff on their back because they can't get to this area to groom it.

In overweight dogs we will often see skin fold infections in places like around the vulva.

Some animals are overweight because of hypothryoidism. Hypothyroid dogs will often have hair loss and be prone to skin infections as well.

I hope that helps!

Is he really gone? My very elderly dog very sadly had to be put to sleep a few days ago. This was... (30259 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (8572 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (8094 views)

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (12660 views)

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (10111 views)

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (10576 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6508 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (11875 views)

Eye closed in hamster. My hamster has one eye closed all the time. There are no other hamsters living with... (30014 views)

Lump near nipple. She has a lump(i think so).. It's hard, and about a marble's size in... (9985 views)