Relation of weight to skin problems.

Breed:
I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the Veterinary Office and Animal Care programme. I'm doing a project on dermatology and I was wondeing if a pet;s weight has any effect on the dermatological health of the animal?

Thank you for your time

Lauren Hastie

Hi Lauren and thanks for an interesting question.

I can think of a few situations where a pet's weight could influence their dermatological health.

I will often see extremely overweight cats that will have difficulty cleaning their hind end. They can get severe infections around the anus from urine and fecal scalding.

Fat cats will often have a lot of dandruff on their back because they can't get to this area to groom it.

In overweight dogs we will often see skin fold infections in places like around the vulva.

Some animals are overweight because of hypothryoidism. Hypothyroid dogs will often have hair loss and be prone to skin infections as well.

I hope that helps!

Itchy red welts on belly. Hi. I have a 4 month old 25lb American Pit Bull puppy name Vino. For the last past... (21679 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (8837 views)

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (12210 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (6702 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (8354 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (4557 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (7480 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (31460 views)

Bruising after blood collection. I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew... (26496 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (10716 views)