Vomiting foamy yellow stuff.

Breed: Yorki
My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago for about a 1.5 day. Day before and that day he did not eat or drink much. He was attempting to eat grass outside, but we were watching him not to. I was giving him just rice the next day and he started to feel better. On the second day i made rice and boiled chicken. First two meals where OK, but last night he throw up in his crate and then foamy yellow/whitish stuff in the morning. Any suggestions why and is it worthy going to the vet?

Sorry to hear your little guy is not feeling well! There are numerous causes for vomiting. The most common is when a dog eats something that he should not have eaten. Some foods can just set a dog's stomach off and cause them to vomit and potentially have diarrhea.

If this is the case, then the rice and chicken often help. I usually precede this with a period of 24 hours with no food.

It sounds like he is generally making improvement. If he does have some appetite then this is a good sign.

Here are some criteria I would use to determine whether or not you need to take him to the vet:

-if he is vomiting several times per day and it goes on for more than 48 hours.
-if his appetite is not back to normal within 48 hours.
-if he seems really uncomfortable. If he's painful in his abdomen then he may have a serious condition called pancreatitis.
-if the vomiting is accompanied by an increase in thirst and urination then this could indicate a serious problem with the liver or kidneys.

Another thing I advise people is to "trust your gut". If you think things are not right then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope he feels better soon!

Dog toe xray. I took my dog Cooper to the vet last week and he believed he had a bone... (21475 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (10503 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (10832 views)

Bump in dog's mouth. My dog was taken for a walk her ball went under a car, she retreived her ball... (7467 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (19426 views)

Boxer skin problems. -I apologize in advance for the novel i wrote below- We are officially at a loss.... (52723 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (4917 views)

Red liquid in rats eyes. My rat has no energy and she has red liquid comimg out her eyes and she is shaking... (11014 views)

Unexplained fever in a dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My pit bull Indy has always been in pretty good health but has... (8591 views)

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (8786 views)