Vomiting foamy yellow stuff.

Breed: Yorki
My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago for about a 1.5 day. Day before and that day he did not eat or drink much. He was attempting to eat grass outside, but we were watching him not to. I was giving him just rice the next day and he started to feel better. On the second day i made rice and boiled chicken. First two meals where OK, but last night he throw up in his crate and then foamy yellow/whitish stuff in the morning. Any suggestions why and is it worthy going to the vet?

Sorry to hear your little guy is not feeling well! There are numerous causes for vomiting. The most common is when a dog eats something that he should not have eaten. Some foods can just set a dog's stomach off and cause them to vomit and potentially have diarrhea.

If this is the case, then the rice and chicken often help. I usually precede this with a period of 24 hours with no food.

It sounds like he is generally making improvement. If he does have some appetite then this is a good sign.

Here are some criteria I would use to determine whether or not you need to take him to the vet:

-if he is vomiting several times per day and it goes on for more than 48 hours.
-if his appetite is not back to normal within 48 hours.
-if he seems really uncomfortable. If he's painful in his abdomen then he may have a serious condition called pancreatitis.
-if the vomiting is accompanied by an increase in thirst and urination then this could indicate a serious problem with the liver or kidneys.

Another thing I advise people is to "trust your gut". If you think things are not right then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope he feels better soon!

Vet was rough with my cat. I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my... (9103 views)

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (10224 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (11748 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (16166 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (50441 views)

Itchy scrotum after grooming. Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is... (26011 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (7778 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (70920 views)

Increased appetite and hair loss. My Burmese cat is losing her hair all over and I am concerned about how hungry she... (6582 views)

Black scab on anus Good day Dr. Marie, I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog... (46816 views)