Vomiting foamy yellow stuff.

Breed: Yorki
My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago for about a 1.5 day. Day before and that day he did not eat or drink much. He was attempting to eat grass outside, but we were watching him not to. I was giving him just rice the next day and he started to feel better. On the second day i made rice and boiled chicken. First two meals where OK, but last night he throw up in his crate and then foamy yellow/whitish stuff in the morning. Any suggestions why and is it worthy going to the vet?

Sorry to hear your little guy is not feeling well! There are numerous causes for vomiting. The most common is when a dog eats something that he should not have eaten. Some foods can just set a dog's stomach off and cause them to vomit and potentially have diarrhea.

If this is the case, then the rice and chicken often help. I usually precede this with a period of 24 hours with no food.

It sounds like he is generally making improvement. If he does have some appetite then this is a good sign.

Here are some criteria I would use to determine whether or not you need to take him to the vet:

-if he is vomiting several times per day and it goes on for more than 48 hours.
-if his appetite is not back to normal within 48 hours.
-if he seems really uncomfortable. If he's painful in his abdomen then he may have a serious condition called pancreatitis.
-if the vomiting is accompanied by an increase in thirst and urination then this could indicate a serious problem with the liver or kidneys.

Another thing I advise people is to "trust your gut". If you think things are not right then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope he feels better soon!

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (16240 views)

Brown bugs over top of tail. Dear Dr. Marie: I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF... (12119 views)

Bitten by copperhead snake. My mom's 14 week old puppy got bit by a snake. Didn't see the snake. What should... (11619 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (12030 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (29544 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (13533 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (10108 views)

Swollen eye after removal. Hi My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after... (7722 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (25319 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (8101 views)