Swollen eye.

Breed: mixed spca find
Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him from the spca. He had a minor respiratory infection when i brought him home and he's been a healthy cat since asides from a short spell with fleas. For a few days now his eye has been swollen and tight with clear teary discharge. He is eating normal, using his litter box as expected, and his behavior hasn't changed. He allows me to feel around the swollen area. I believe after playing with my much younger sister that cat nip got in his eye. I can't get his eye open enough to get much sterile eye wash in it though. I tried 2.5 mg of diphenhydramine thinking it could be allergy to the cat nip but he's not shown any sign of improvement. What can i do? Could it be a strange case of pink eye without the usual symptoms? What else can cause such sudden swelling? Your advice is appreciated.

Sorry to hear that your cat has a sore eye. There are a few possible reasons for this.

When I see a cat who suddenly has a sore eye I get concerned that he may have scratched his eye. A scratched eye, otherwise known as a "corneal ucler" can be very serious. The eye stays closed because it is painful.

Whenever I suspect a corneal ulcer I recommend a vet visit right away. Your vet will likely do a fluorescein test which is a simple test where they put a fluorescent green dye on the eye and then look at it with a blue light. If there is a scratch on the eye it will be visible with the blue light.

If a corneal ulcer goes untreated it can lead to serious problems including losing the eye!

Some animals can have a swollen eye because of an allergic reaction but this doesn't sound like the case with Jeckyl.

Sometimes we can see swollen eyes because of an upper respiratory virus but this really should affect both eyes.

I would highly recommend having a vet see Jeckyl. Hopefully it is nothing serious!

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (27821 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (18790 views)

dog rigid then drowsy I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then... (7770 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (11429 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (7490 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (61387 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (54064 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (7372 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (12228 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (21461 views)