Swollen eye.

Breed: mixed spca find
Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him from the spca. He had a minor respiratory infection when i brought him home and he's been a healthy cat since asides from a short spell with fleas. For a few days now his eye has been swollen and tight with clear teary discharge. He is eating normal, using his litter box as expected, and his behavior hasn't changed. He allows me to feel around the swollen area. I believe after playing with my much younger sister that cat nip got in his eye. I can't get his eye open enough to get much sterile eye wash in it though. I tried 2.5 mg of diphenhydramine thinking it could be allergy to the cat nip but he's not shown any sign of improvement. What can i do? Could it be a strange case of pink eye without the usual symptoms? What else can cause such sudden swelling? Your advice is appreciated.

Sorry to hear that your cat has a sore eye. There are a few possible reasons for this.

When I see a cat who suddenly has a sore eye I get concerned that he may have scratched his eye. A scratched eye, otherwise known as a "corneal ucler" can be very serious. The eye stays closed because it is painful.

Whenever I suspect a corneal ulcer I recommend a vet visit right away. Your vet will likely do a fluorescein test which is a simple test where they put a fluorescent green dye on the eye and then look at it with a blue light. If there is a scratch on the eye it will be visible with the blue light.

If a corneal ulcer goes untreated it can lead to serious problems including losing the eye!

Some animals can have a swollen eye because of an allergic reaction but this doesn't sound like the case with Jeckyl.

Sometimes we can see swollen eyes because of an upper respiratory virus but this really should affect both eyes.

I would highly recommend having a vet see Jeckyl. Hopefully it is nothing serious!

Vita Calm in dogs? i was wondering if i could safly use vitacalm for hosres on my dog for his... (8215 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (13834 views)

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (12023 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (27524 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (8795 views)

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (6889 views)

Human mouthwash for dog? Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a... (19259 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (5243 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (10575 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (57852 views)