Swollen eye.

Breed: mixed spca find
Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him from the spca. He had a minor respiratory infection when i brought him home and he's been a healthy cat since asides from a short spell with fleas. For a few days now his eye has been swollen and tight with clear teary discharge. He is eating normal, using his litter box as expected, and his behavior hasn't changed. He allows me to feel around the swollen area. I believe after playing with my much younger sister that cat nip got in his eye. I can't get his eye open enough to get much sterile eye wash in it though. I tried 2.5 mg of diphenhydramine thinking it could be allergy to the cat nip but he's not shown any sign of improvement. What can i do? Could it be a strange case of pink eye without the usual symptoms? What else can cause such sudden swelling? Your advice is appreciated.

Sorry to hear that your cat has a sore eye. There are a few possible reasons for this.

When I see a cat who suddenly has a sore eye I get concerned that he may have scratched his eye. A scratched eye, otherwise known as a "corneal ucler" can be very serious. The eye stays closed because it is painful.

Whenever I suspect a corneal ulcer I recommend a vet visit right away. Your vet will likely do a fluorescein test which is a simple test where they put a fluorescent green dye on the eye and then look at it with a blue light. If there is a scratch on the eye it will be visible with the blue light.

If a corneal ulcer goes untreated it can lead to serious problems including losing the eye!

Some animals can have a swollen eye because of an allergic reaction but this doesn't sound like the case with Jeckyl.

Sometimes we can see swollen eyes because of an upper respiratory virus but this really should affect both eyes.

I would highly recommend having a vet see Jeckyl. Hopefully it is nothing serious!

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (6765 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (59642 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (32805 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (27228 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (7860 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (10492 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (13835 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (11506 views)

dog with strabismus Dr. , My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has... (14495 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (8061 views)