Dog ate a needle.

Breed: Bijon/Toy Poodle Mix
My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to kinda vomit and today he would not eat at all. I took him to the emergency vet and they wanted to do emergency surgery due to the fact that the x-rays showed a needle in his stomach. Last time I used a needle was Wedesday, so it had been more than a few days. They said he needed emergency surgery this minute. I wanted to wait until the morning when my vet is open and have my vet perform the surgery. At present he will be open in about 16 hours. Emergency vet gave him fluids, pain pill, antibiotics for now when I told them I wanted to wait. of course I'm second guessing myself, the question, would it be OK to wait until the morning and have my vet perform the surgery? I know I should not wait more than that, but is the morning OK?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that you are in this predicament.

Whenever I see a needle in a dog I always want to get it out right away. If the needle penetrates through the intestines then this can be life threatening.

I understand what you are saying here...it's been in there for 4 days so far, so why not wait another 16 hours. If JC had no symptoms of illness at all I would probably agree that waiting is a good idea. However, JC does have symptoms of illness - reduced appetite and vomiting. It's possible that the needle is already perforating through the intestines or stomach. Really, if there was no perforation then the needle shouldn't be causing any lack of appetite or vomiting at all.

Unfortunately the xrays won't tell us if the needle is perforating at all.

I would highly advise that you have surgery done tonight. I know it will cost more, but in the long run it could be the difference between life and death. Also, if the needle is perforating, a surgery now will actually be less expensive than later if more damage is done over the next 16 hours.

Feel free to keep me updated. I will be online till about 10PM Eastern time tonight if you have more questions.

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (5972 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (52870 views)

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (7910 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (31764 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (22971 views)

Cat vomits regularly. My 4year old cat has been throwing up over the past two months. 99% is food. ( dry... (5550 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (15709 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (27531 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (10010 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (69642 views)