Dog ate a needle.

Breed: Bijon/Toy Poodle Mix
My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to kinda vomit and today he would not eat at all. I took him to the emergency vet and they wanted to do emergency surgery due to the fact that the x-rays showed a needle in his stomach. Last time I used a needle was Wedesday, so it had been more than a few days. They said he needed emergency surgery this minute. I wanted to wait until the morning when my vet is open and have my vet perform the surgery. At present he will be open in about 16 hours. Emergency vet gave him fluids, pain pill, antibiotics for now when I told them I wanted to wait. of course I'm second guessing myself, the question, would it be OK to wait until the morning and have my vet perform the surgery? I know I should not wait more than that, but is the morning OK?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that you are in this predicament.

Whenever I see a needle in a dog I always want to get it out right away. If the needle penetrates through the intestines then this can be life threatening.

I understand what you are saying here...it's been in there for 4 days so far, so why not wait another 16 hours. If JC had no symptoms of illness at all I would probably agree that waiting is a good idea. However, JC does have symptoms of illness - reduced appetite and vomiting. It's possible that the needle is already perforating through the intestines or stomach. Really, if there was no perforation then the needle shouldn't be causing any lack of appetite or vomiting at all.

Unfortunately the xrays won't tell us if the needle is perforating at all.

I would highly advise that you have surgery done tonight. I know it will cost more, but in the long run it could be the difference between life and death. Also, if the needle is perforating, a surgery now will actually be less expensive than later if more damage is done over the next 16 hours.

Feel free to keep me updated. I will be online till about 10PM Eastern time tonight if you have more questions.

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (10563 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (12953 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (6572 views)

Are these tapeworms? My cat has little cream color things on the chair after she sits for a while. They... (28018 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (9750 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (22226 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (16873 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (38524 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (8640 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (18505 views)