Dog ate a needle.

Breed: Bijon/Toy Poodle Mix
My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to kinda vomit and today he would not eat at all. I took him to the emergency vet and they wanted to do emergency surgery due to the fact that the x-rays showed a needle in his stomach. Last time I used a needle was Wedesday, so it had been more than a few days. They said he needed emergency surgery this minute. I wanted to wait until the morning when my vet is open and have my vet perform the surgery. At present he will be open in about 16 hours. Emergency vet gave him fluids, pain pill, antibiotics for now when I told them I wanted to wait. of course I'm second guessing myself, the question, would it be OK to wait until the morning and have my vet perform the surgery? I know I should not wait more than that, but is the morning OK?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that you are in this predicament.

Whenever I see a needle in a dog I always want to get it out right away. If the needle penetrates through the intestines then this can be life threatening.

I understand what you are saying here...it's been in there for 4 days so far, so why not wait another 16 hours. If JC had no symptoms of illness at all I would probably agree that waiting is a good idea. However, JC does have symptoms of illness - reduced appetite and vomiting. It's possible that the needle is already perforating through the intestines or stomach. Really, if there was no perforation then the needle shouldn't be causing any lack of appetite or vomiting at all.

Unfortunately the xrays won't tell us if the needle is perforating at all.

I would highly advise that you have surgery done tonight. I know it will cost more, but in the long run it could be the difference between life and death. Also, if the needle is perforating, a surgery now will actually be less expensive than later if more damage is done over the next 16 hours.

Feel free to keep me updated. I will be online till about 10PM Eastern time tonight if you have more questions.

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (207268 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (16359 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (15488 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (11089 views)

Vaccine squirted onto skin. OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and... (27242 views)

Pancreatitis My dog had an exploratory Lap. done 3 days ago to rule out a foreign body. She had... (17864 views)

Large abdomen in cat. We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly... (13664 views)

Losing weight but lab tests normal. My cat is losing weight, vomiting, more vocal than normal, lethargic and hungry all... (13561 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (14389 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (32015 views)