Not eating, panting.

Breed: Boxer
Dear Dr. Marie,

I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group. Yesterday she had vomited and didn't eat all of her dinner. But today is the most troubling, she has been very distant. She has gone into my closet and made a "bed" for the first time and she has also been putting herself in her cage where she has not done that as often. She also hasn't wanted to eat any treats or dinner. When she is given a treat she wants to bury it which is abnormal. I have also noticed that she is panting a lot.

She isn't pregnant and she also isn't spayed.

Thank you for your answer!

Sorry to hear that Daisy is not well.

There are a number of things that can cause the symptoms that you mentioned. Ultimately she may need a vet exam and possibly some tests to determine what is going on. But, I can give you a few possible ideas.

When was she in heat last? If she has had a heat cycle within the last 2 months it is possible that she now has an infection in her uterus called pyometra. This is a really serious condition and needs to be treated right away. Some dogs with pyometra will have a pus discharge from the vulva. But some dogs can have something called a closed pyometra where the pus just builds up in the uterus and there is no discharge. This is a really serious condition.

It's also possible that she has some nausea. This could be due to something small like eating a food that has upset her stomach, or could be a more serious problem like a toxin to her kidneys or liver.

An infection of some sort can cause a fever which can cause these symptoms as well.

Pain can cause lethargy and panting as well.

If the symptoms have gone on for more than 24 hours then she really does need a vet visit.

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (15769 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (12616 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (29172 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (10282 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (44740 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (14687 views)

Homeopathic medicine questions. My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from... (11819 views)

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (8175 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (21630 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (14676 views)