Not eating, panting.

Breed: Boxer
Dear Dr. Marie,

I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group. Yesterday she had vomited and didn't eat all of her dinner. But today is the most troubling, she has been very distant. She has gone into my closet and made a "bed" for the first time and she has also been putting herself in her cage where she has not done that as often. She also hasn't wanted to eat any treats or dinner. When she is given a treat she wants to bury it which is abnormal. I have also noticed that she is panting a lot.

She isn't pregnant and she also isn't spayed.

Thank you for your answer!

Sorry to hear that Daisy is not well.

There are a number of things that can cause the symptoms that you mentioned. Ultimately she may need a vet exam and possibly some tests to determine what is going on. But, I can give you a few possible ideas.

When was she in heat last? If she has had a heat cycle within the last 2 months it is possible that she now has an infection in her uterus called pyometra. This is a really serious condition and needs to be treated right away. Some dogs with pyometra will have a pus discharge from the vulva. But some dogs can have something called a closed pyometra where the pus just builds up in the uterus and there is no discharge. This is a really serious condition.

It's also possible that she has some nausea. This could be due to something small like eating a food that has upset her stomach, or could be a more serious problem like a toxin to her kidneys or liver.

An infection of some sort can cause a fever which can cause these symptoms as well.

Pain can cause lethargy and panting as well.

If the symptoms have gone on for more than 24 hours then she really does need a vet visit.

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (35116 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (37170 views)

Older dog acting strange. I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The... (11407 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (8421 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (49068 views)

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (8344 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (5490 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (14346 views)

Cat with bloody diarrhea iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i... (7299 views)

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (15579 views)