Not eating, panting.

Breed: Boxer
Dear Dr. Marie,

I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group. Yesterday she had vomited and didn't eat all of her dinner. But today is the most troubling, she has been very distant. She has gone into my closet and made a "bed" for the first time and she has also been putting herself in her cage where she has not done that as often. She also hasn't wanted to eat any treats or dinner. When she is given a treat she wants to bury it which is abnormal. I have also noticed that she is panting a lot.

She isn't pregnant and she also isn't spayed.

Thank you for your answer!

Sorry to hear that Daisy is not well.

There are a number of things that can cause the symptoms that you mentioned. Ultimately she may need a vet exam and possibly some tests to determine what is going on. But, I can give you a few possible ideas.

When was she in heat last? If she has had a heat cycle within the last 2 months it is possible that she now has an infection in her uterus called pyometra. This is a really serious condition and needs to be treated right away. Some dogs with pyometra will have a pus discharge from the vulva. But some dogs can have something called a closed pyometra where the pus just builds up in the uterus and there is no discharge. This is a really serious condition.

It's also possible that she has some nausea. This could be due to something small like eating a food that has upset her stomach, or could be a more serious problem like a toxin to her kidneys or liver.

An infection of some sort can cause a fever which can cause these symptoms as well.

Pain can cause lethargy and panting as well.

If the symptoms have gone on for more than 24 hours then she really does need a vet visit.

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (13868 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (9113 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (4095 views)

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (7403 views)

Patches of hair loss on snout. Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of... (17391 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (7351 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (13059 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (7392 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (12848 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (21192 views)