Not eating, panting.

Breed: Boxer
Dear Dr. Marie,

I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group. Yesterday she had vomited and didn't eat all of her dinner. But today is the most troubling, she has been very distant. She has gone into my closet and made a "bed" for the first time and she has also been putting herself in her cage where she has not done that as often. She also hasn't wanted to eat any treats or dinner. When she is given a treat she wants to bury it which is abnormal. I have also noticed that she is panting a lot.

She isn't pregnant and she also isn't spayed.

Thank you for your answer!

Sorry to hear that Daisy is not well.

There are a number of things that can cause the symptoms that you mentioned. Ultimately she may need a vet exam and possibly some tests to determine what is going on. But, I can give you a few possible ideas.

When was she in heat last? If she has had a heat cycle within the last 2 months it is possible that she now has an infection in her uterus called pyometra. This is a really serious condition and needs to be treated right away. Some dogs with pyometra will have a pus discharge from the vulva. But some dogs can have something called a closed pyometra where the pus just builds up in the uterus and there is no discharge. This is a really serious condition.

It's also possible that she has some nausea. This could be due to something small like eating a food that has upset her stomach, or could be a more serious problem like a toxin to her kidneys or liver.

An infection of some sort can cause a fever which can cause these symptoms as well.

Pain can cause lethargy and panting as well.

If the symptoms have gone on for more than 24 hours then she really does need a vet visit.

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (10129 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (6285 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (8259 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (7015 views)

The euthanasia procedure. I had to euthanize my 18.5 year old cat Quincy on Monday. He suffered from CRF and... (14975 views)

Limping boston terrier. hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only... (25347 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (14469 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (8959 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (20448 views)

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (7091 views)