Not eating, panting.

Breed: Boxer
Dear Dr. Marie,

I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group. Yesterday she had vomited and didn't eat all of her dinner. But today is the most troubling, she has been very distant. She has gone into my closet and made a "bed" for the first time and she has also been putting herself in her cage where she has not done that as often. She also hasn't wanted to eat any treats or dinner. When she is given a treat she wants to bury it which is abnormal. I have also noticed that she is panting a lot.

She isn't pregnant and she also isn't spayed.

Thank you for your answer!

Sorry to hear that Daisy is not well.

There are a number of things that can cause the symptoms that you mentioned. Ultimately she may need a vet exam and possibly some tests to determine what is going on. But, I can give you a few possible ideas.

When was she in heat last? If she has had a heat cycle within the last 2 months it is possible that she now has an infection in her uterus called pyometra. This is a really serious condition and needs to be treated right away. Some dogs with pyometra will have a pus discharge from the vulva. But some dogs can have something called a closed pyometra where the pus just builds up in the uterus and there is no discharge. This is a really serious condition.

It's also possible that she has some nausea. This could be due to something small like eating a food that has upset her stomach, or could be a more serious problem like a toxin to her kidneys or liver.

An infection of some sort can cause a fever which can cause these symptoms as well.

Pain can cause lethargy and panting as well.

If the symptoms have gone on for more than 24 hours then she really does need a vet visit.

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (12213 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (12068 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (22837 views)

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (5439 views)

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (12339 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (7608 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (20549 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (14497 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (40715 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi there, Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice... (15275 views)