Sensitive tail and belly.

Breed: short hair domestic
My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does not let me pet her around the base of her tail or belly anymore. If i even seem like im heading towards there while im petting her, she growls at me and pushes me away. I was wondering if this is normal? It's like it hurts her, but other than that, she's normal. She's not as sweet as she use to be, but I assume that's normal, because that's how all of my cats are now that we've gotten them fixed. She is not the only one who is sensitive around her tail/belly like that though. Her dad is the same way and he's been fixed for over a year now. I just wanted to know if this is normal. Thank you.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

It's really common for a cat to be sensitive around their tail and on their belly. It likely has nothing to do with being spayed. And it is very unlikely to be anything to worry about.

I have found that most cats like being pet in those areas briefly and then after a while they get overstimulated and either growl or bite.

It's quite normal!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (5881 views)

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (15276 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (24712 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (2693 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (6017 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (13856 views)

dog rigid then drowsy I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then... (5896 views)

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (27285 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (4941 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (14048 views)