Puppy has a broken leg.

Breed: Pomeranian
Dear Marie,
I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is very weak, she won't even get up and move around. She screams when I touch her leg. Her right eye is also red. I know she's in a lot of pain. I hand fed her a little food, she won't eat. I fed her some Nutri-Stat and water. She looks very very weak. That's make me very concern. I know why won't I take to the vet. Last time I brought my puppy to the vet for broken leg, cost me 700 dollars, they just put splinter and gave some pain killer. If I haven't lose my job, I'll take her to the vet immediately. I don't even have enough for rent next month, just nice for me to cover my living this month. I'm trying my best to look for a job. I can't spend another 800 dollars. I was wondering can I feed her some Aspirin? I read online small dose of Aspirin can reduce the pain for her, but I'm very concern because she's just 9 weeks old. You think I can feed her that? I'll buy the baby liquid aspirin for her you think that will help? I bought the human finger injury system to hold her leg in place, so she's bend her leg. That fit perfectly for her, because she's still tiny. Do you think this will harm her? She seem find with that. There are no open wound. Please help me!!! I'm so stress out. I swear if I have the money I'll take her to the vet immediately, I don't how much it cost.

Thank You So Much!
From
Yvonne Ng

Oh no, this is a bad situation.

Unfortunately there is no way that you can treat a broken leg at home. If you try to splint it it's definitely possible to do more harm than good. I've seen so many home made splints that caused more pain. It's really hard to get a splint on properly, especially on a small dog.

Aspirin is not a good idea for a few reasons. First of all, it's nowhere near enough pain relief for a broken leg. Secondly, aspirin can cause an increase in bleeding and bruising. And thirdly, if you give aspirin it will stay in her system for a few days and it may mean that the vet can't give a proper anti-inflammatory.

I'm really concerned about MoMo and I wish so much that I could give you advice that would help her but there needs to be some way that she gets to see a vet. It is not fair on her to let her sit in this much pain.

In some areas, the humane society will help out with veterinary bills. It is worthwhile to give them a call.

You may also want to try some of the organizations on this list:

Organizations that help pay veterinary bills.

I would also suggest calling every neighbor, friend and family member you know to see if they could help donate even a little bit to help with MoMo's treatment.

Again, I wish I could say more. The only advice I can give is for you to keep her as quiet as possible and to keep her in an enclosed space with lots of padding like a thick blanket.

I really hope she is able to get some help soon!

I just wanted to add that I will only be online for a few minutes more tonight as I am heading off to bed soon. I'll wait a few more minutes to see if you need to reply.

I'll bring her to the vet tomorrow morning. How does the Medicard Finance Inc work? Do they pay for the bill first, then I can pay them back monthly?

That's wonderful news Yvonne. I feel so bad in situations like this where finances are tight...but there really is no other option for you.

When I have had clients use Medicard, there have been a few different options, but generally, you fill out a form first and then the veterinary hospital faxes that to Medicard. Then, the company decides whether to approve you or not for financing. (If you don't have great credit, then you'll need to get someone to co-sign for you.) Once you are approved, then you generally don't need to pay anything at all up front. Then, you make monthly payments and these are usually quite reasonable. I have found that if you can pay the bill off within 6 months the interest is not too bad.

I am heading offline now. I really hope your little one does ok. Let's hope that the leg isn't broken after all...perhaps it is badly bruised and she just needs some good pain meds.

Praying for good results!

Thank You so much~

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (10394 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (18181 views)

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (10761 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (13753 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (15881 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (33903 views)

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (11129 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (14585 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (8374 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (9688 views)