3 week old kitten with diarrhea.

Breed: i dont know i found
i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know if when a kitten drinks milk from a dog if the milk is bad for her ?? THIS IS A NEED TO NOW QUESTION INEED TO KNOW IT ASAP please

[Editor's note-Questions are given to Dr. Marie in order and not based on urgency. If you have an urgent question, please use one of the paid options.]

sincerely, Sabrina Lopez

Sorry to hear that ginger is not well.

Any time a kitten has diarrhea I am a little concerned. These little guys don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration and so if diarrhea goes on for more than a day or so it can be quite serious.

It is possible that she has diarrhea because of parasites. You can certainly try an over the counter dewormer from the pet store, but the better option would be to have your vet examine a stool sample to determine what parasites are present. Some parasites need prescription medication that you can only get from the vet.

Kittens can also have diarrhea because of a virus.

Now for your next question...can a kitten nurse from a dog? I have heard many stories of dogs successfully nursing kittens. However there are nutritional differences between dog and cat milk and it is not recommended. It is also possible that nursing from the dog could cause diarrhea in the kitten, but it is hard to say whether this is what is happening. I wouldn't recommend letting the kitten nurse off of the dog.

If she still has diarrhea after 24 hours I would definitely recommend a trip to the vet.

Hope everything is ok!

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (19328 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7418 views)

Cat with hyperthyroidism. Hi again! I spoke to you last week regarding the bad behavior of my cat. She has... (21641 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (12467 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (4865 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (8203 views)

Lipoma on a dog. Hi Dr. Laurie, You gave me such great advice on my cat Bobo, I'm writing about my... (5707 views)

Dime sized sore above eye. Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide... (16640 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (9472 views)

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (29805 views)