3 week old kitten with diarrhea.

Breed: i dont know i found
i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know if when a kitten drinks milk from a dog if the milk is bad for her ?? THIS IS A NEED TO NOW QUESTION INEED TO KNOW IT ASAP please

[Editor's note-Questions are given to Dr. Marie in order and not based on urgency. If you have an urgent question, please use one of the paid options.]

sincerely, Sabrina Lopez

Sorry to hear that ginger is not well.

Any time a kitten has diarrhea I am a little concerned. These little guys don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration and so if diarrhea goes on for more than a day or so it can be quite serious.

It is possible that she has diarrhea because of parasites. You can certainly try an over the counter dewormer from the pet store, but the better option would be to have your vet examine a stool sample to determine what parasites are present. Some parasites need prescription medication that you can only get from the vet.

Kittens can also have diarrhea because of a virus.

Now for your next question...can a kitten nurse from a dog? I have heard many stories of dogs successfully nursing kittens. However there are nutritional differences between dog and cat milk and it is not recommended. It is also possible that nursing from the dog could cause diarrhea in the kitten, but it is hard to say whether this is what is happening. I wouldn't recommend letting the kitten nurse off of the dog.

If she still has diarrhea after 24 hours I would definitely recommend a trip to the vet.

Hope everything is ok!

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (17247 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (7014 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (7151 views)

Sardine treats for my cat. Is this recipe for cat treats safe for my cat? 3/4 cup dry, whole wheat bread... (7324 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (5633 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (17975 views)

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (8847 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (13500 views)

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (5813 views)

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (33152 views)