3 week old kitten with diarrhea.

Breed: i dont know i found
i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know if when a kitten drinks milk from a dog if the milk is bad for her ?? THIS IS A NEED TO NOW QUESTION INEED TO KNOW IT ASAP please

[Editor's note-Questions are given to Dr. Marie in order and not based on urgency. If you have an urgent question, please use one of the paid options.]

sincerely, Sabrina Lopez

Sorry to hear that ginger is not well.

Any time a kitten has diarrhea I am a little concerned. These little guys don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration and so if diarrhea goes on for more than a day or so it can be quite serious.

It is possible that she has diarrhea because of parasites. You can certainly try an over the counter dewormer from the pet store, but the better option would be to have your vet examine a stool sample to determine what parasites are present. Some parasites need prescription medication that you can only get from the vet.

Kittens can also have diarrhea because of a virus.

Now for your next question...can a kitten nurse from a dog? I have heard many stories of dogs successfully nursing kittens. However there are nutritional differences between dog and cat milk and it is not recommended. It is also possible that nursing from the dog could cause diarrhea in the kitten, but it is hard to say whether this is what is happening. I wouldn't recommend letting the kitten nurse off of the dog.

If she still has diarrhea after 24 hours I would definitely recommend a trip to the vet.

Hope everything is ok!

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (7871 views)

Repeated ear infections. Hi! My dog Opie is a five-and-a-half-year-old, male (neutered) red sable... (14874 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (140313 views)

Bald spot on cat's back. My friend's 1 1/2 yr. old cat has been losing the hair from it's tail for about 10... (45314 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (10727 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (11303 views)

Swollen neck on cat. My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has... (30355 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (13714 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (15294 views)

Limping boston terrier. hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only... (29495 views)