3 week old kitten with diarrhea.

Breed: i dont know i found
i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know if when a kitten drinks milk from a dog if the milk is bad for her ?? THIS IS A NEED TO NOW QUESTION INEED TO KNOW IT ASAP please

[Editor's note-Questions are given to Dr. Marie in order and not based on urgency. If you have an urgent question, please use one of the paid options.]

sincerely, Sabrina Lopez

Sorry to hear that ginger is not well.

Any time a kitten has diarrhea I am a little concerned. These little guys don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration and so if diarrhea goes on for more than a day or so it can be quite serious.

It is possible that she has diarrhea because of parasites. You can certainly try an over the counter dewormer from the pet store, but the better option would be to have your vet examine a stool sample to determine what parasites are present. Some parasites need prescription medication that you can only get from the vet.

Kittens can also have diarrhea because of a virus.

Now for your next question...can a kitten nurse from a dog? I have heard many stories of dogs successfully nursing kittens. However there are nutritional differences between dog and cat milk and it is not recommended. It is also possible that nursing from the dog could cause diarrhea in the kitten, but it is hard to say whether this is what is happening. I wouldn't recommend letting the kitten nurse off of the dog.

If she still has diarrhea after 24 hours I would definitely recommend a trip to the vet.

Hope everything is ok!

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (45418 views)

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (14385 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (5450 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (4572 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (150772 views)

Lump on paw pad. Hi Dr. Marie! Baileys is a patient of yours at Beechwood Animal Hospital. We were... (44941 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (8009 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (11493 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (75470 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (8002 views)