3 week old kitten with diarrhea.

Breed: i dont know i found
i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know if when a kitten drinks milk from a dog if the milk is bad for her ?? THIS IS A NEED TO NOW QUESTION INEED TO KNOW IT ASAP please

[Editor's note-Questions are given to Dr. Marie in order and not based on urgency. If you have an urgent question, please use one of the paid options.]

sincerely, Sabrina Lopez

Sorry to hear that ginger is not well.

Any time a kitten has diarrhea I am a little concerned. These little guys don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration and so if diarrhea goes on for more than a day or so it can be quite serious.

It is possible that she has diarrhea because of parasites. You can certainly try an over the counter dewormer from the pet store, but the better option would be to have your vet examine a stool sample to determine what parasites are present. Some parasites need prescription medication that you can only get from the vet.

Kittens can also have diarrhea because of a virus.

Now for your next question...can a kitten nurse from a dog? I have heard many stories of dogs successfully nursing kittens. However there are nutritional differences between dog and cat milk and it is not recommended. It is also possible that nursing from the dog could cause diarrhea in the kitten, but it is hard to say whether this is what is happening. I wouldn't recommend letting the kitten nurse off of the dog.

If she still has diarrhea after 24 hours I would definitely recommend a trip to the vet.

Hope everything is ok!

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (122616 views)

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (9566 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (7963 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (21781 views)

Bladder stones again. Hi there My cat had 100% blockage of urethra in Sept 2009, and underwent PU... (12244 views)

Cat with bald belly. Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia)... (13744 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (12262 views)

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (13605 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (16795 views)

Small Russian Blue Cat. I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6... (10557 views)