Low T4 and thyroid medicine.

Breed: Lab Mix
I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after discovering low T4 level during his full blood panel test. He also recently gained weight even though the amount of his feedings didn't change and noticed increased panting at all hours of the day/night. He was prescribed 0.6 mg Thyrozine twice a day and his T4 level was retested 6 weeks later. We were told his T4 count is now in normal range and we should continue the medication for the rest of his life. The concern we have is that we have noticed increased lethargy during short walks and panting has not stopped and don't think the medication is helping. I'm not convinced we were given an accurate diagnosis and am considering switching vets. Is there something else the Dr should be testing for other than hypothyroidism that could be the issue? Also, tonight we found a white tick the size of a kernel of corn near his ear. He is currently on Vectra which I assumed would prevent ticks. Could a disease related to ticks resemble symptoms of hypothyroidism?

Thanks for an interesting question. I have a few thoughts on what you wrote.

First of all, do you know if the test for hypothyroidism was just a single test? (It would be a test called either a Total T4 or a Free T4). Sometimes, things other than hypothyroidism can cause either of these levels to appear to be too low. On one hand, it might be acceptable to say that it would be worthwhile to try Cosmo on meds as he has a few criteria for hypothyroidism:

-He is a lab and hypothyroidism is common in labs.
-he was gaining weight
-he was panting
-he had a low T4

In a case like this I would certainly consider a trial of thyroid medication. However, if he is truly hypothyroid you should be noticing some type of difference.

Now, usually when a dog has a low T4 (or Free T4) I like to do a full thyroid profile. This looks at a number of other factors that can tell us more certainly whether there is a thyroid problem.

The T4 levels can definitely be low because of other issues.

You may want to ask your vet if lyme disease or other tick borne diseases are common in your area. If so, testing Cosmo for tick borne diseases is a good idea. Something like lyme disease can definitely cause the symptoms you are describing.

Another possibility is if Cosmo has some arthritis issues. If this were my case I may consider a trial of some anti-inflammatory medications to see if this makes a difference.

I hope this information helps. It's a tough question to answer because we really don't know exactly what is going on, but hopefully I've helped explain things somewhat. Let me know if you have more questions.

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (14500 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (26231 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (11100 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (40130 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (23270 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (11657 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (8548 views)

Are these tapeworms? My cat has little cream color things on the chair after she sits for a while. They... (27619 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (14764 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (40559 views)