Low T4 and thyroid medicine.

Breed: Lab Mix
I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after discovering low T4 level during his full blood panel test. He also recently gained weight even though the amount of his feedings didn't change and noticed increased panting at all hours of the day/night. He was prescribed 0.6 mg Thyrozine twice a day and his T4 level was retested 6 weeks later. We were told his T4 count is now in normal range and we should continue the medication for the rest of his life. The concern we have is that we have noticed increased lethargy during short walks and panting has not stopped and don't think the medication is helping. I'm not convinced we were given an accurate diagnosis and am considering switching vets. Is there something else the Dr should be testing for other than hypothyroidism that could be the issue? Also, tonight we found a white tick the size of a kernel of corn near his ear. He is currently on Vectra which I assumed would prevent ticks. Could a disease related to ticks resemble symptoms of hypothyroidism?

Thanks for an interesting question. I have a few thoughts on what you wrote.

First of all, do you know if the test for hypothyroidism was just a single test? (It would be a test called either a Total T4 or a Free T4). Sometimes, things other than hypothyroidism can cause either of these levels to appear to be too low. On one hand, it might be acceptable to say that it would be worthwhile to try Cosmo on meds as he has a few criteria for hypothyroidism:

-He is a lab and hypothyroidism is common in labs.
-he was gaining weight
-he was panting
-he had a low T4

In a case like this I would certainly consider a trial of thyroid medication. However, if he is truly hypothyroid you should be noticing some type of difference.

Now, usually when a dog has a low T4 (or Free T4) I like to do a full thyroid profile. This looks at a number of other factors that can tell us more certainly whether there is a thyroid problem.

The T4 levels can definitely be low because of other issues.

You may want to ask your vet if lyme disease or other tick borne diseases are common in your area. If so, testing Cosmo for tick borne diseases is a good idea. Something like lyme disease can definitely cause the symptoms you are describing.

Another possibility is if Cosmo has some arthritis issues. If this were my case I may consider a trial of some anti-inflammatory medications to see if this makes a difference.

I hope this information helps. It's a tough question to answer because we really don't know exactly what is going on, but hopefully I've helped explain things somewhat. Let me know if you have more questions.

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (11867 views)

Dog pooping blood. My dog is pooping blood, but not pooping. Just blood coming out like she is... (12426 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (18735 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (14007 views)

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (6129 views)

Dog has horrible breath. How can i stop my dogs horriable breath. like home things that i could do like... (8925 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (6687 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (8937 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (16823 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (9596 views)