Low T4 and thyroid medicine.

Breed: Lab Mix
I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after discovering low T4 level during his full blood panel test. He also recently gained weight even though the amount of his feedings didn't change and noticed increased panting at all hours of the day/night. He was prescribed 0.6 mg Thyrozine twice a day and his T4 level was retested 6 weeks later. We were told his T4 count is now in normal range and we should continue the medication for the rest of his life. The concern we have is that we have noticed increased lethargy during short walks and panting has not stopped and don't think the medication is helping. I'm not convinced we were given an accurate diagnosis and am considering switching vets. Is there something else the Dr should be testing for other than hypothyroidism that could be the issue? Also, tonight we found a white tick the size of a kernel of corn near his ear. He is currently on Vectra which I assumed would prevent ticks. Could a disease related to ticks resemble symptoms of hypothyroidism?

Thanks for an interesting question. I have a few thoughts on what you wrote.

First of all, do you know if the test for hypothyroidism was just a single test? (It would be a test called either a Total T4 or a Free T4). Sometimes, things other than hypothyroidism can cause either of these levels to appear to be too low. On one hand, it might be acceptable to say that it would be worthwhile to try Cosmo on meds as he has a few criteria for hypothyroidism:

-He is a lab and hypothyroidism is common in labs.
-he was gaining weight
-he was panting
-he had a low T4

In a case like this I would certainly consider a trial of thyroid medication. However, if he is truly hypothyroid you should be noticing some type of difference.

Now, usually when a dog has a low T4 (or Free T4) I like to do a full thyroid profile. This looks at a number of other factors that can tell us more certainly whether there is a thyroid problem.

The T4 levels can definitely be low because of other issues.

You may want to ask your vet if lyme disease or other tick borne diseases are common in your area. If so, testing Cosmo for tick borne diseases is a good idea. Something like lyme disease can definitely cause the symptoms you are describing.

Another possibility is if Cosmo has some arthritis issues. If this were my case I may consider a trial of some anti-inflammatory medications to see if this makes a difference.

I hope this information helps. It's a tough question to answer because we really don't know exactly what is going on, but hopefully I've helped explain things somewhat. Let me know if you have more questions.

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (21925 views)

Lump with open sores. Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds... (27727 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (10298 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (29287 views)

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (6066 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (12342 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (10306 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (9530 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (14583 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (102696 views)