Tapeworms in kittens.

Breed: Calico
Hey there,

I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The kittens were treated with Strongid (pyrantel pamoate) two days ago but they are still passing live worms. I believe that the worms they are passing now may be tape worms. I have a product called Tape Worm Tabs (praziquantel) that is used to treat tape worms. Is it safe to give the kittens this now or do i have to wait to give it to them 2 weeks from when they were given the Strongid? Thanks!!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Hi Kristen...Good to hear from you again.

The fact that your kittens are passing worms (even if they are live) means that the dewormer is working. You should definitely repeat the Strongid in 2 weeks and I would even do it again 2 weeks after that.

If the worms looked like spaghetti they are likely roundworms. However, it is not a bad idea to treat for tapes as well. You will want to check the label of the Tape Worm Tabs to make sure they are ok for kittens this young. You don't need to wait until you give the strongid again. You can go ahead and give it now.

Hope they keep improving!

Thanks so much for the quick response...so the active ingredient in the strongid (pyrantel pamoate) will not interfere with the praziquantel in the tape worm tabs? I just want to be sure i am not going to hurt my little babies by giving them too many meds all at once. Thanks again.

It's definitely ok to give praziquantel along with strongid. However, I just looked up some drug info for you to see if praziquantel can be given to young kittens. It is apparently only labelled for kittens over 6 weeks. If they are younger than 6 weeks you may need to hold off for now.

Ok thanks you so much. They are 11 weeks old today so i think we should be safe. Just wanted to check on the drug interactions and such. Thanks so much for all of your help. It is so nice to know that there is someone willing to help out pet owners with out charging an arm and a leg for the service. I have spent a lot less money asking for your help then i would have if i took them to the vet again. They were wanting to charge 60 dollars per cat to treat them (fecal tests and for the deworming medication). I really appreciate what you are doing for people.

Good stuff! You're very welcome! And thanks for the kind words!

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7438 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (18295 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (39321 views)

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (7105 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (9741 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (19642 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (7488 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (19409 views)

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (8935 views)

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (10864 views)