Tapeworms in kittens.

Breed: Calico
Hey there,

I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The kittens were treated with Strongid (pyrantel pamoate) two days ago but they are still passing live worms. I believe that the worms they are passing now may be tape worms. I have a product called Tape Worm Tabs (praziquantel) that is used to treat tape worms. Is it safe to give the kittens this now or do i have to wait to give it to them 2 weeks from when they were given the Strongid? Thanks!!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Hi Kristen...Good to hear from you again.

The fact that your kittens are passing worms (even if they are live) means that the dewormer is working. You should definitely repeat the Strongid in 2 weeks and I would even do it again 2 weeks after that.

If the worms looked like spaghetti they are likely roundworms. However, it is not a bad idea to treat for tapes as well. You will want to check the label of the Tape Worm Tabs to make sure they are ok for kittens this young. You don't need to wait until you give the strongid again. You can go ahead and give it now.

Hope they keep improving!

Thanks so much for the quick response...so the active ingredient in the strongid (pyrantel pamoate) will not interfere with the praziquantel in the tape worm tabs? I just want to be sure i am not going to hurt my little babies by giving them too many meds all at once. Thanks again.

It's definitely ok to give praziquantel along with strongid. However, I just looked up some drug info for you to see if praziquantel can be given to young kittens. It is apparently only labelled for kittens over 6 weeks. If they are younger than 6 weeks you may need to hold off for now.

Ok thanks you so much. They are 11 weeks old today so i think we should be safe. Just wanted to check on the drug interactions and such. Thanks so much for all of your help. It is so nice to know that there is someone willing to help out pet owners with out charging an arm and a leg for the service. I have spent a lot less money asking for your help then i would have if i took them to the vet again. They were wanting to charge 60 dollars per cat to treat them (fecal tests and for the deworming medication). I really appreciate what you are doing for people.

Good stuff! You're very welcome! And thanks for the kind words!

Blood in stools. My dog has bright red blood in his stools. He is in good form, jumping around and... (12892 views)

Is this a tick? So Badger has a strange growth on the edge of his ear...I will include two pictures... (39479 views)

Peeing in the house. I would like a REAL solution to this, without the standard answers or suggestions(... (10990 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (13961 views)

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (18711 views)

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (15087 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (23506 views)

hamster brain damage from chewing Hi, my 18 month old hamster started to bite her cage several months ago. i have... (16407 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (11004 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (22444 views)