Tapeworms in kittens.

Breed: Calico
Hey there,

I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The kittens were treated with Strongid (pyrantel pamoate) two days ago but they are still passing live worms. I believe that the worms they are passing now may be tape worms. I have a product called Tape Worm Tabs (praziquantel) that is used to treat tape worms. Is it safe to give the kittens this now or do i have to wait to give it to them 2 weeks from when they were given the Strongid? Thanks!!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Hi Kristen...Good to hear from you again.

The fact that your kittens are passing worms (even if they are live) means that the dewormer is working. You should definitely repeat the Strongid in 2 weeks and I would even do it again 2 weeks after that.

If the worms looked like spaghetti they are likely roundworms. However, it is not a bad idea to treat for tapes as well. You will want to check the label of the Tape Worm Tabs to make sure they are ok for kittens this young. You don't need to wait until you give the strongid again. You can go ahead and give it now.

Hope they keep improving!

Thanks so much for the quick response...so the active ingredient in the strongid (pyrantel pamoate) will not interfere with the praziquantel in the tape worm tabs? I just want to be sure i am not going to hurt my little babies by giving them too many meds all at once. Thanks again.

It's definitely ok to give praziquantel along with strongid. However, I just looked up some drug info for you to see if praziquantel can be given to young kittens. It is apparently only labelled for kittens over 6 weeks. If they are younger than 6 weeks you may need to hold off for now.

Ok thanks you so much. They are 11 weeks old today so i think we should be safe. Just wanted to check on the drug interactions and such. Thanks so much for all of your help. It is so nice to know that there is someone willing to help out pet owners with out charging an arm and a leg for the service. I have spent a lot less money asking for your help then i would have if i took them to the vet again. They were wanting to charge 60 dollars per cat to treat them (fecal tests and for the deworming medication). I really appreciate what you are doing for people.

Good stuff! You're very welcome! And thanks for the kind words!

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (44543 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (18341 views)

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (10333 views)

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (8511 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (13648 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (31539 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (12008 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (19245 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (7541 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (32016 views)