Tapeworms in kittens.

Breed: Calico
Hey there,

I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The kittens were treated with Strongid (pyrantel pamoate) two days ago but they are still passing live worms. I believe that the worms they are passing now may be tape worms. I have a product called Tape Worm Tabs (praziquantel) that is used to treat tape worms. Is it safe to give the kittens this now or do i have to wait to give it to them 2 weeks from when they were given the Strongid? Thanks!!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Hi Kristen...Good to hear from you again.

The fact that your kittens are passing worms (even if they are live) means that the dewormer is working. You should definitely repeat the Strongid in 2 weeks and I would even do it again 2 weeks after that.

If the worms looked like spaghetti they are likely roundworms. However, it is not a bad idea to treat for tapes as well. You will want to check the label of the Tape Worm Tabs to make sure they are ok for kittens this young. You don't need to wait until you give the strongid again. You can go ahead and give it now.

Hope they keep improving!

Thanks so much for the quick response...so the active ingredient in the strongid (pyrantel pamoate) will not interfere with the praziquantel in the tape worm tabs? I just want to be sure i am not going to hurt my little babies by giving them too many meds all at once. Thanks again.

It's definitely ok to give praziquantel along with strongid. However, I just looked up some drug info for you to see if praziquantel can be given to young kittens. It is apparently only labelled for kittens over 6 weeks. If they are younger than 6 weeks you may need to hold off for now.

Ok thanks you so much. They are 11 weeks old today so i think we should be safe. Just wanted to check on the drug interactions and such. Thanks so much for all of your help. It is so nice to know that there is someone willing to help out pet owners with out charging an arm and a leg for the service. I have spent a lot less money asking for your help then i would have if i took them to the vet again. They were wanting to charge 60 dollars per cat to treat them (fecal tests and for the deworming medication). I really appreciate what you are doing for people.

Good stuff! You're very welcome! And thanks for the kind words!

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (53699 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (10005 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (10990 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (24399 views)

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (12889 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (14169 views)

vet question Dear Madame Veterinarian: Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've... (9993 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (68579 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (16765 views)

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (13052 views)