Meds safe for small dog?

Breed: Toy Poodle
Good evening!

I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB 7/13/12). I've had poodles all my life, or I should say my parents have had them - this is the first one that is mine! My vet gave us samples of Heartguard/Frontline. My parents have always used Revolution, but their poodles are slightly bigger (10-12 pounds). Lily is projected to be only 6-7 pounds, and I'm worried about the effects of the medication on her when she is so small. I asked my vet about one option versus another, and she said it was all a matter of preference and my choice what to get.

So this would be my question: is there an option out there for heartworm/fleas et al, that is tailored/less toxic for the little dogs? (For example, I see one that has a 1-10 pound dosage, but another that is a 1-22 pound dosage. That's a huge difference metabolically if the drug effect is linear. (Sorry...scientist by training. I over think these things sometimes.)

Thank you very much for any insight you may have. It's going to be fun finally having a poodle of my own after all these years, even if she is smaller than I'm used to having.

Robin

Hi Robin and thanks for your question. Congrats on your new dog!

I understand the concern here...it does seem counterintuitive to use a product that is made for dogs up to say 10 or 15 pounds (I don't have the packages in front of me) on a much smaller dog. However, you can rest assured that it is totally safe to give both of these products to your small dog. The safety margin on both Heartgard and Frontline is extremely high. Again, I don't have the package in front of me, but usually you can give many many times the recommended dosage and not have any ill effects at all.

People often ask if they can cut the dosage in half for a smaller dog and that is definitely not recommended. For Heartgard, being a beefy treat, if you cut the treat in half you may get the majority of the drug in one half and very little in the other.

I hope this answers your question, but if not feel free to respond!

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (10063 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (27912 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (14447 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (20986 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (12445 views)

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (29358 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (9392 views)

Increase dog's phenobarb? Hi Marie, My 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier has been a seizure dog for about 4... (20047 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (45203 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (22747 views)