Meds safe for small dog?

Breed: Toy Poodle
Good evening!

I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB 7/13/12). I've had poodles all my life, or I should say my parents have had them - this is the first one that is mine! My vet gave us samples of Heartguard/Frontline. My parents have always used Revolution, but their poodles are slightly bigger (10-12 pounds). Lily is projected to be only 6-7 pounds, and I'm worried about the effects of the medication on her when she is so small. I asked my vet about one option versus another, and she said it was all a matter of preference and my choice what to get.

So this would be my question: is there an option out there for heartworm/fleas et al, that is tailored/less toxic for the little dogs? (For example, I see one that has a 1-10 pound dosage, but another that is a 1-22 pound dosage. That's a huge difference metabolically if the drug effect is linear. (Sorry...scientist by training. I over think these things sometimes.)

Thank you very much for any insight you may have. It's going to be fun finally having a poodle of my own after all these years, even if she is smaller than I'm used to having.

Robin

Hi Robin and thanks for your question. Congrats on your new dog!

I understand the concern here...it does seem counterintuitive to use a product that is made for dogs up to say 10 or 15 pounds (I don't have the packages in front of me) on a much smaller dog. However, you can rest assured that it is totally safe to give both of these products to your small dog. The safety margin on both Heartgard and Frontline is extremely high. Again, I don't have the package in front of me, but usually you can give many many times the recommended dosage and not have any ill effects at all.

People often ask if they can cut the dosage in half for a smaller dog and that is definitely not recommended. For Heartgard, being a beefy treat, if you cut the treat in half you may get the majority of the drug in one half and very little in the other.

I hope this answers your question, but if not feel free to respond!

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (15279 views)

Dachshund with seizures. Gina had an episode that looked like a seizure about 1.5 years ago for a first time.... (11199 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (11133 views)

Lump on dog's foot. Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed... (28079 views)

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (15485 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (13871 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (12250 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (16090 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (20370 views)

Mange treatment. Dr. Marie: My dog has demodectic mange. We give her Promeris, but it makes her... (16602 views)