Meds safe for small dog?

Breed: Toy Poodle
Good evening!

I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB 7/13/12). I've had poodles all my life, or I should say my parents have had them - this is the first one that is mine! My vet gave us samples of Heartguard/Frontline. My parents have always used Revolution, but their poodles are slightly bigger (10-12 pounds). Lily is projected to be only 6-7 pounds, and I'm worried about the effects of the medication on her when she is so small. I asked my vet about one option versus another, and she said it was all a matter of preference and my choice what to get.

So this would be my question: is there an option out there for heartworm/fleas et al, that is tailored/less toxic for the little dogs? (For example, I see one that has a 1-10 pound dosage, but another that is a 1-22 pound dosage. That's a huge difference metabolically if the drug effect is linear. (Sorry...scientist by training. I over think these things sometimes.)

Thank you very much for any insight you may have. It's going to be fun finally having a poodle of my own after all these years, even if she is smaller than I'm used to having.

Robin

Hi Robin and thanks for your question. Congrats on your new dog!

I understand the concern here...it does seem counterintuitive to use a product that is made for dogs up to say 10 or 15 pounds (I don't have the packages in front of me) on a much smaller dog. However, you can rest assured that it is totally safe to give both of these products to your small dog. The safety margin on both Heartgard and Frontline is extremely high. Again, I don't have the package in front of me, but usually you can give many many times the recommended dosage and not have any ill effects at all.

People often ask if they can cut the dosage in half for a smaller dog and that is definitely not recommended. For Heartgard, being a beefy treat, if you cut the treat in half you may get the majority of the drug in one half and very little in the other.

I hope this answers your question, but if not feel free to respond!

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (12014 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (16160 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (10579 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (14505 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (27609 views)

Vomiting and balance issues. my dog is losing her equalibreum and was throwing up yellow stomach bile.her poop is... (23715 views)

Flying with your dog. Hello! We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when... (8131 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (8018 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (14347 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (6489 views)