Meds safe for small dog?

Breed: Toy Poodle
Good evening!

I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB 7/13/12). I've had poodles all my life, or I should say my parents have had them - this is the first one that is mine! My vet gave us samples of Heartguard/Frontline. My parents have always used Revolution, but their poodles are slightly bigger (10-12 pounds). Lily is projected to be only 6-7 pounds, and I'm worried about the effects of the medication on her when she is so small. I asked my vet about one option versus another, and she said it was all a matter of preference and my choice what to get.

So this would be my question: is there an option out there for heartworm/fleas et al, that is tailored/less toxic for the little dogs? (For example, I see one that has a 1-10 pound dosage, but another that is a 1-22 pound dosage. That's a huge difference metabolically if the drug effect is linear. (Sorry...scientist by training. I over think these things sometimes.)

Thank you very much for any insight you may have. It's going to be fun finally having a poodle of my own after all these years, even if she is smaller than I'm used to having.

Robin

Hi Robin and thanks for your question. Congrats on your new dog!

I understand the concern here...it does seem counterintuitive to use a product that is made for dogs up to say 10 or 15 pounds (I don't have the packages in front of me) on a much smaller dog. However, you can rest assured that it is totally safe to give both of these products to your small dog. The safety margin on both Heartgard and Frontline is extremely high. Again, I don't have the package in front of me, but usually you can give many many times the recommended dosage and not have any ill effects at all.

People often ask if they can cut the dosage in half for a smaller dog and that is definitely not recommended. For Heartgard, being a beefy treat, if you cut the treat in half you may get the majority of the drug in one half and very little in the other.

I hope this answers your question, but if not feel free to respond!

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (32770 views)

Lumps on belly Hello, Dr. Marie: I noticed some small bumps on my dog's bladder on/near the site... (17462 views)

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (60342 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (26493 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (7737 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (90700 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (7334 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (17885 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (15329 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (14029 views)