Meds safe for small dog?

Breed: Toy Poodle
Good evening!

I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB 7/13/12). I've had poodles all my life, or I should say my parents have had them - this is the first one that is mine! My vet gave us samples of Heartguard/Frontline. My parents have always used Revolution, but their poodles are slightly bigger (10-12 pounds). Lily is projected to be only 6-7 pounds, and I'm worried about the effects of the medication on her when she is so small. I asked my vet about one option versus another, and she said it was all a matter of preference and my choice what to get.

So this would be my question: is there an option out there for heartworm/fleas et al, that is tailored/less toxic for the little dogs? (For example, I see one that has a 1-10 pound dosage, but another that is a 1-22 pound dosage. That's a huge difference metabolically if the drug effect is linear. (Sorry...scientist by training. I over think these things sometimes.)

Thank you very much for any insight you may have. It's going to be fun finally having a poodle of my own after all these years, even if she is smaller than I'm used to having.

Robin

Hi Robin and thanks for your question. Congrats on your new dog!

I understand the concern here...it does seem counterintuitive to use a product that is made for dogs up to say 10 or 15 pounds (I don't have the packages in front of me) on a much smaller dog. However, you can rest assured that it is totally safe to give both of these products to your small dog. The safety margin on both Heartgard and Frontline is extremely high. Again, I don't have the package in front of me, but usually you can give many many times the recommended dosage and not have any ill effects at all.

People often ask if they can cut the dosage in half for a smaller dog and that is definitely not recommended. For Heartgard, being a beefy treat, if you cut the treat in half you may get the majority of the drug in one half and very little in the other.

I hope this answers your question, but if not feel free to respond!

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (18012 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (9989 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (5156 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (11306 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (5877 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (5836 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (11857 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (19464 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (11592 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (25766 views)