Excessive drooling

Breed: Short Hair tabby, al
Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively drooling. I believe I only noticed it yesterday, but it has continued. She has eaten some dry food and I saw her drink water last night but I'm unsure of how much.
To note, I adopted a kitten exactly a week ago. She is still not crazy about him but it's getting better.
Also, my roommate has two little dogs. They never really interact since she spends most of the time in my room and I have a pet gate up. The kitten will hang out with them though.
She hasn't had too many health issues that I know of, to be honest she is halfway impossible to take to the vet or even get in the carrier. I try to monitor her though and make sure she is healthy Also, she is strictly a indoor cat and I do not keep flowers around.

My apologies for the delay in my answer.

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to drool excessively, although I wouldn't say that this is a common problem.

Most likely this is not the case, but one cause for drooling would be if you just applied a pet store flea product, especially if it was one meant for dogs and not for cats. This can be a serious emergency, so if you think this is the issue then I'd see the vet right away.

A more likely answer is that there is something going on in your cat's mouth. If it is serious enough to cause excessive drooling then it probably is something that should be checked out by a vet. A tooth problem can cause this type of issue although unfortunately a more common problem that causes drooling in an older cat is some type of tumor affecting the tongue or mouth. Hopefully this is not the case.

It's also possible that the cat has a foreign object stuck in her mouth. I have seen this happen several times as well.

There really isn't a home remedy that I can think of. If it continues then she really should see a vet.

I hope things are ok.

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (7027 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (29815 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (18162 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (13716 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (31912 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (7234 views)

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (23608 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (15178 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (7779 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (27356 views)