Excessive drooling

Breed: Short Hair tabby, al
Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively drooling. I believe I only noticed it yesterday, but it has continued. She has eaten some dry food and I saw her drink water last night but I'm unsure of how much.
To note, I adopted a kitten exactly a week ago. She is still not crazy about him but it's getting better.
Also, my roommate has two little dogs. They never really interact since she spends most of the time in my room and I have a pet gate up. The kitten will hang out with them though.
She hasn't had too many health issues that I know of, to be honest she is halfway impossible to take to the vet or even get in the carrier. I try to monitor her though and make sure she is healthy Also, she is strictly a indoor cat and I do not keep flowers around.

My apologies for the delay in my answer.

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to drool excessively, although I wouldn't say that this is a common problem.

Most likely this is not the case, but one cause for drooling would be if you just applied a pet store flea product, especially if it was one meant for dogs and not for cats. This can be a serious emergency, so if you think this is the issue then I'd see the vet right away.

A more likely answer is that there is something going on in your cat's mouth. If it is serious enough to cause excessive drooling then it probably is something that should be checked out by a vet. A tooth problem can cause this type of issue although unfortunately a more common problem that causes drooling in an older cat is some type of tumor affecting the tongue or mouth. Hopefully this is not the case.

It's also possible that the cat has a foreign object stuck in her mouth. I have seen this happen several times as well.

There really isn't a home remedy that I can think of. If it continues then she really should see a vet.

I hope things are ok.

Can dogs drink tea? Can dogs drink tea? I have been told by quite a few people that it helps puppies to... (54831 views)

Cat ate A&D cream. Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there... (19186 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (4434 views)

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (39631 views)

Does my dog have mange? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a little 8 month old chihuahua. His name is chico and he has... (8283 views)

Itchy mouth in a dog. For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her... (66965 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (7878 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (11346 views)

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (94925 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (7645 views)