Albendazole for dogs.

Breed: Boxer
Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank you very much.

Albendazole is not commonly used for deworming for dogs. It has several brand names:

• Albenza

• Eskazole

• Zentel

• Andazol

Albendazole is used to treat a number of parasites in cattle and sheep but is not labelled for use in dogs.

It is occasionally used by some vets to treat some uncommon parasites in dogs such as Filaroides and capillariasis.

Will it treat common parasites like roundworms and hookworms? It does not have a label claim for these parasites in dogs and cats. It is labelled for roundworms in cattle, but these are a different type of parasite than roundworms in dogs.

Should you use it? No!

Albendazole carries a lot of significant possible side effects including lack of appetite, gastrointestinal distress and a serious bone marrow problem called aplastic anemia.

There are many dewormers that are available for dogs and I would advise sticking to ones that are meant for dogs rather than trying a large animal product like this. Most of the over the counter dewormers that you can buy at the pet store generally do work well for common parasites if you use them according to the label directions.

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (21683 views)

Swollen hip. I am so worried about my dog Holly. I think she may have hip dysplasia. Her hip is... (10284 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (53804 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (24263 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (8486 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (17423 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (7081 views)

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (24767 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (9976 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (5115 views)