Albendazole for dogs.

Breed: Boxer
Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank you very much.

Albendazole is not commonly used for deworming for dogs. It has several brand names:

• Albenza

• Eskazole

• Zentel

• Andazol

Albendazole is used to treat a number of parasites in cattle and sheep but is not labelled for use in dogs.

It is occasionally used by some vets to treat some uncommon parasites in dogs such as Filaroides and capillariasis.

Will it treat common parasites like roundworms and hookworms? It does not have a label claim for these parasites in dogs and cats. It is labelled for roundworms in cattle, but these are a different type of parasite than roundworms in dogs.

Should you use it? No!

Albendazole carries a lot of significant possible side effects including lack of appetite, gastrointestinal distress and a serious bone marrow problem called aplastic anemia.

There are many dewormers that are available for dogs and I would advise sticking to ones that are meant for dogs rather than trying a large animal product like this. Most of the over the counter dewormers that you can buy at the pet store generally do work well for common parasites if you use them according to the label directions.

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (11096 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (73432 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (15168 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (15059 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (11850 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (12905 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (261894 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (16877 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (13689 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (36617 views)