Albendazole for dogs.

Breed: Boxer
Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank you very much.

Albendazole is not commonly used for deworming for dogs. It has several brand names:

• Albenza

• Eskazole

• Zentel

• Andazol

Albendazole is used to treat a number of parasites in cattle and sheep but is not labelled for use in dogs.

It is occasionally used by some vets to treat some uncommon parasites in dogs such as Filaroides and capillariasis.

Will it treat common parasites like roundworms and hookworms? It does not have a label claim for these parasites in dogs and cats. It is labelled for roundworms in cattle, but these are a different type of parasite than roundworms in dogs.

Should you use it? No!

Albendazole carries a lot of significant possible side effects including lack of appetite, gastrointestinal distress and a serious bone marrow problem called aplastic anemia.

There are many dewormers that are available for dogs and I would advise sticking to ones that are meant for dogs rather than trying a large animal product like this. Most of the over the counter dewormers that you can buy at the pet store generally do work well for common parasites if you use them according to the label directions.

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (10456 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (9943 views)

Pitbull with rash Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he... (12070 views)

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (8689 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (19510 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (10655 views)

Shih Tzu not eating. He stopped eating 6 days ago. Yesterday the vet said temperature, fecal, urine,... (34338 views)

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (17011 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (31338 views)

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (10517 views)