Albendazole for dogs.

Breed: Boxer
Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank you very much.

Albendazole is not commonly used for deworming for dogs. It has several brand names:

• Albenza

• Eskazole

• Zentel

• Andazol

Albendazole is used to treat a number of parasites in cattle and sheep but is not labelled for use in dogs.

It is occasionally used by some vets to treat some uncommon parasites in dogs such as Filaroides and capillariasis.

Will it treat common parasites like roundworms and hookworms? It does not have a label claim for these parasites in dogs and cats. It is labelled for roundworms in cattle, but these are a different type of parasite than roundworms in dogs.

Should you use it? No!

Albendazole carries a lot of significant possible side effects including lack of appetite, gastrointestinal distress and a serious bone marrow problem called aplastic anemia.

There are many dewormers that are available for dogs and I would advise sticking to ones that are meant for dogs rather than trying a large animal product like this. Most of the over the counter dewormers that you can buy at the pet store generally do work well for common parasites if you use them according to the label directions.

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (10563 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (5263 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (9099 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (9964 views)

Feeding chicken liver to dogs. I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his... (66870 views)

Wobbly Boxer. My 3 year old boxer has been having some issues. He has always been very very clumsy... (10828 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (11565 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (9340 views)

Cat is whiney when peeing my 12 yr old cat cherokee had a bladder infection about 2 months ago. i changed the... (6998 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (21321 views)