Dog ate dark chocolate candy.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee covered with dark chocolate) about 5 hours ago. He is drinking a great deal of water and, during a walk, vomited. He has since vomited again. He is not hyperactive. Rather he is somewhat lethargic. Should he be seen?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

Hi there. I'll need a little bit more information in order to figure this out.

Do you know roughly how much Bo weighs?

If you had to guess, how much of the candies are made up of chocolate? Would each piece be about half chocolate? One quarter?

When he vomited, was there chocolate in the vomit?

Is he doing any tremoring/shaking that you can see?

Do his pupils look dilated?

He weighs 16-17 pounds

The chocolate is merely a coating over the toffee.

The first time it contained some visible pieces of the candy. Since then, it is brownish liquid.

No shaking, but panting. However we went for an hour-long walk.

His pupils do jot appear to be dilated.

OK, thanks for that info.

So, I put a few figures into the chocolate toxicity calculator.

Let's say that there were 2 oz of dark chocolate in the candy. When I plug into the calculator a 16 lb dog eating 2 oz of dark chocolate it tells me the level of potential toxicity is severe.

Now, if it was just one ounce the toxicity level is mild.

This makes decision making hard because we can't tell exactly how much chocolate the dog ate.

Most of the time, packaged candy like this has low quality chocolate, even when dark. If Bo ate 8 oz of pure dark chocolate, then I would be very concerned. But, my guess is that this is closer to 1 oz of chocolate, if even that.

At this point, 5 hours after ingestion, the vet would likely simply keep Bo for observation. So, I will tell you some things to look for and if you see these then I would take him in:

-If he starts to have any tremors, shaking or possible seizures he needs to go in (but this is quite unlikely.)
-See if you can measure his heart rate. You should be able to put your hand on the left side of his chest behind his elbow and count how many beats there are in a minute. This number should be well below 140. If it's above 140 beats in a minute then I'd take him in.
-If he has continued vomiting and really is not feeling well, then I'd take him in. The concern here is not for chocolate toxicity but for pancreatitis because of the fat/sugar intake.
-If your gut is just telling you that something is not right.

Most likely he will feel a little off because of the high sugar intake. You may want to skip dinner with him tonight (unless he seems totally normal by then.)

I hope he does ok!

His heart rate appears less than 140 but uncomfortable. We will sit tight for now. Thanks!

Sounds like a good plan!

One last question-- he has vomited 4 times within 70 minutes. The volume and frequency are declining. Any thoughts on how many more times we should wait before having him seen?

4 times I'm not too worried about. If it keeps up a couple of times an hour for a few more hours then I'd go in.

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (4652 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (14642 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (15129 views)

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (23184 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (5243 views)

Coughing and not eating chihuahua My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he... (7026 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (5967 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (10433 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (14591 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (10609 views)