Coughing and sneezing dog.

Breed: teacup yorkie
I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his rabies shot. He got a clean bill of health. I told the doctor he was making a sneezing/coughing noise every once and while. She told me to watch him, and to watch if there is any discharge. Over the last week it has gotten worse. He is sneezing and coughing almost every hour, but no discharge. It sounds like he is congested. He is still very active and playing with his toys, eating, drinking water, and having solid poops. Do I need to worry? What could it be?

There are a few things that could cause sneezing and congestion in a young dog like this. The most common are respiratory viruses.

The most common respiratory virus that we see is Kennel Cough. Your dog doesn't have to have been in a kennel to get it. It's spread quite easily through the air. Some dogs with kennel cough will be sicker than others. Some will be coughing non-stop and sound like there is something stuck in the throat. Others will just have a period cough and be stuffed up.

If this is kennel cough, then many dogs will get better on their own. It can take a few days to weeks to get better. I usually recommend a vet visit if you are seeing:
-a green discharge from the eyes or nose
-he is lethargic
-he doesn't want to eat
-the cough is annoying to either you or the dog

If this is kennel cough then your vet can prescribe a cough suppressant. Some dogs with kennel cough go on to get a secondary bacterial infection in which case we will prescribe antibiotics.

Another viral possibility is distemper. In my area, distemper is quite uncommon, but more and more areas are starting to see distemper now. If he has had regular puppy vaccines then he is likely vaccinated against distemper and it's very unlikely that he has this disease. Dogs with distemper tend to get really sick and often the disease is fatal. But again, this really doesn't sound like distemper.

There are other possibilities that are less likely such as lungworm or even roundworms. Even though roundworms are intestinal parasites they will go through a stage where they can affect the lungs. They shouldn't cause sneezing though.

A foreign object up the nose could do this as well...but would be less likely to cause coughing.

If he seems like he is happy and alert then it's likely ok to wait a day or two before going back to the vet. But if you see the above symptoms or if your gut is just telling you that something is wrong, then it's best to have your vet see him again.

Thank you for your response. He is super active and his energy is high. There is no discharge. However, when I called the vet to see if they had night hours, I was sent to a pet hospital. I told the lady that answered about the cough and sneeze, and she said it may be pneumonia. Also, he is a little warmer than usual. Can dogs get pneumonia?

Pneumonia is usually secondary to something else in dogs. So, if there was a respiratory virus (such as kennel cough) then it can get worse and worse and cause a secondary pneumonia. However, dogs with pneumonia are super sick and don't want to eat. So, no, this really doesn't sound like pneumonia at all!

Feel free to reply again, but just so you know I am heading offline now as it's bedtime for me. :)

I'll check in on your question in the morning.

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (13942 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (8780 views)

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (5130 views)

Wheezing dog. My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or... (6762 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (4935 views)

Dog eats grapes. Hi. I live in rural Peru and have three dogs. I am writing regarding the oldest who... (5243 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (8951 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (7615 views)

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (23621 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (54368 views)