Ear infection.

Breed: lhaso ahpso/maltese
last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4 rounds of antibiotics in the last 12 months. i have taken her to 3 different vets. the last vet said she might need antibiotics off and on for the rest of her life. i have spent a small fortune trying to get her healed. when i take her to the vet we dont eat. this last infection she has appears to be an ear infection. her left ear is red and theres blood. i have been keeping it clean. i also noticed a white spot that has appeared in the middle of the pupil of her left eye. i have an appt with the vet but barely have the money to pay for it. is there any advise you can give me? the vet is going to examine her next week but what do you think the white spot in her eye could be? any advise would be appreciated.. thanks, lois

Sorry to hear that you are having these frustrating problems! I have several patients with chronic ear problems and it can be challenging to deal with them.

It is unlikely that the spot in Selena's eye is related to her ear infections. If it is a little white spot on the cornea it could be a scar from a previous injury, or it could be a calcium or lipid deposit. We usually don't get too worried about any of these.

I have a few thoughts for you on the ear infection. I always advise that my patients come back for a recheck a few days after their ear medicines are cleared up. Sometimes the ear can look normal, but there is still a small amount of bacteria or yeast present. If we stop treatment too soon it will just come back again.

Your vet may want to do a culture of the ear. This is definitely recommended for a dog with repeated ear infections. This is to make sure that there is no resistant strain of bacteria growing. If there is one, the lab report will tell us which medication is going to be the best to treat it with.

You may also want to talk to your vet about the possibility of allergies. Some dogs with allergies will get repeated ear infections. If we can keep the allergies under control then the ear infections usually go away.

I just had one other thought. Although it is not terribly common in lhasas or maltese you could ask your vet about the possibility of hypothyroidism. Dogs with this condition tend to have more skin and ear problems and sometimes they can have high lipid levels which can cause the white spot in the eye.

I hope everything goes ok!

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (3594 views)

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (9812 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (3525 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (9614 views)

Itchy mouth in a dog. For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her... (51264 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (16981 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (5620 views)

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (8197 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (23487 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (6661 views)