Ear infection.

Breed: lhaso ahpso/maltese
last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4 rounds of antibiotics in the last 12 months. i have taken her to 3 different vets. the last vet said she might need antibiotics off and on for the rest of her life. i have spent a small fortune trying to get her healed. when i take her to the vet we dont eat. this last infection she has appears to be an ear infection. her left ear is red and theres blood. i have been keeping it clean. i also noticed a white spot that has appeared in the middle of the pupil of her left eye. i have an appt with the vet but barely have the money to pay for it. is there any advise you can give me? the vet is going to examine her next week but what do you think the white spot in her eye could be? any advise would be appreciated.. thanks, lois

Sorry to hear that you are having these frustrating problems! I have several patients with chronic ear problems and it can be challenging to deal with them.

It is unlikely that the spot in Selena's eye is related to her ear infections. If it is a little white spot on the cornea it could be a scar from a previous injury, or it could be a calcium or lipid deposit. We usually don't get too worried about any of these.

I have a few thoughts for you on the ear infection. I always advise that my patients come back for a recheck a few days after their ear medicines are cleared up. Sometimes the ear can look normal, but there is still a small amount of bacteria or yeast present. If we stop treatment too soon it will just come back again.

Your vet may want to do a culture of the ear. This is definitely recommended for a dog with repeated ear infections. This is to make sure that there is no resistant strain of bacteria growing. If there is one, the lab report will tell us which medication is going to be the best to treat it with.

You may also want to talk to your vet about the possibility of allergies. Some dogs with allergies will get repeated ear infections. If we can keep the allergies under control then the ear infections usually go away.

I just had one other thought. Although it is not terribly common in lhasas or maltese you could ask your vet about the possibility of hypothyroidism. Dogs with this condition tend to have more skin and ear problems and sometimes they can have high lipid levels which can cause the white spot in the eye.

I hope everything goes ok!

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (18111 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (7977 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (10794 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (5599 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (15179 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (14285 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (6828 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (22536 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (12031 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (11306 views)