Ear infection.

Breed: lhaso ahpso/maltese
last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4 rounds of antibiotics in the last 12 months. i have taken her to 3 different vets. the last vet said she might need antibiotics off and on for the rest of her life. i have spent a small fortune trying to get her healed. when i take her to the vet we dont eat. this last infection she has appears to be an ear infection. her left ear is red and theres blood. i have been keeping it clean. i also noticed a white spot that has appeared in the middle of the pupil of her left eye. i have an appt with the vet but barely have the money to pay for it. is there any advise you can give me? the vet is going to examine her next week but what do you think the white spot in her eye could be? any advise would be appreciated.. thanks, lois

Sorry to hear that you are having these frustrating problems! I have several patients with chronic ear problems and it can be challenging to deal with them.

It is unlikely that the spot in Selena's eye is related to her ear infections. If it is a little white spot on the cornea it could be a scar from a previous injury, or it could be a calcium or lipid deposit. We usually don't get too worried about any of these.

I have a few thoughts for you on the ear infection. I always advise that my patients come back for a recheck a few days after their ear medicines are cleared up. Sometimes the ear can look normal, but there is still a small amount of bacteria or yeast present. If we stop treatment too soon it will just come back again.

Your vet may want to do a culture of the ear. This is definitely recommended for a dog with repeated ear infections. This is to make sure that there is no resistant strain of bacteria growing. If there is one, the lab report will tell us which medication is going to be the best to treat it with.

You may also want to talk to your vet about the possibility of allergies. Some dogs with allergies will get repeated ear infections. If we can keep the allergies under control then the ear infections usually go away.

I just had one other thought. Although it is not terribly common in lhasas or maltese you could ask your vet about the possibility of hypothyroidism. Dogs with this condition tend to have more skin and ear problems and sometimes they can have high lipid levels which can cause the white spot in the eye.

I hope everything goes ok!

Big belly in stray cat. Hello, One day a stray cat showed up at our Home, We could tell she was expecting.... (24969 views)

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (10507 views)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (10536 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (17295 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (11940 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (41908 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (9034 views)

What kind of food? I need a food recommendation for our two Aussies (one mini 5 yr old male at 32lbs... (6722 views)

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (34602 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (24627 views)