Stinky skin in pug.

Breed: pug
My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started as a small ring now its growing. My daughter said it smells like mushrooms. (I have no sense of smell). Any ideas? He does itch it allot. I do See dry skin on the bed when he gets up.
Thanks

Hi Colleen and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Buster is having this problem.

Skin problems can sometimes be difficult to answer over the internet, but I can give you some ideas.

If the area is smelly then there is a good chance that it is infected. It could possibly be a yeast infection as these can be quite smelly.

The other possibility is a bacterial infection.

In either case unfortunately there is no home remedy. A skin infection almost always needs to be treated with oral medications prescribed by the vet.

The black color sometimes means that an infection has been there for a long time. However, sometimes a dog can lose hair and have black pigment on the skin because of a thyroid condition. If your vet suspects this they may want to do some bloodwork to determine if his thyroid is ok. If not, he will need to go on a thyroid supplement.

I hope he does ok!

Thanks and if its a yeast infection what will have to be done?

Some yeast infectioms can be treated with special antifungal shampoos and sometimes a dog will need oral antifungal meds. Most likely though this is a bacterial infection.

How long does a dog stay in heat? How long does she stay in heat? and how often? thanks have a blessed... (8582 views)

Mildly increased ALP. My dog's routine blood work shows an alkaline phosaphate level of 159. The vet is... (7181 views)

Is Okra toxic to dogs? Without thinking, I gave my dog a small amount (appx 1/4 cup) of oven fried... (58249 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (23682 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (10014 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (5250 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (4953 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (49452 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (8390 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (24611 views)