Stinky skin in pug.

Breed: pug
My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started as a small ring now its growing. My daughter said it smells like mushrooms. (I have no sense of smell). Any ideas? He does itch it allot. I do See dry skin on the bed when he gets up.
Thanks

Hi Colleen and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Buster is having this problem.

Skin problems can sometimes be difficult to answer over the internet, but I can give you some ideas.

If the area is smelly then there is a good chance that it is infected. It could possibly be a yeast infection as these can be quite smelly.

The other possibility is a bacterial infection.

In either case unfortunately there is no home remedy. A skin infection almost always needs to be treated with oral medications prescribed by the vet.

The black color sometimes means that an infection has been there for a long time. However, sometimes a dog can lose hair and have black pigment on the skin because of a thyroid condition. If your vet suspects this they may want to do some bloodwork to determine if his thyroid is ok. If not, he will need to go on a thyroid supplement.

I hope he does ok!

Thanks and if its a yeast infection what will have to be done?

Some yeast infectioms can be treated with special antifungal shampoos and sometimes a dog will need oral antifungal meds. Most likely though this is a bacterial infection.

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (11580 views)

Bloody diarrhea. Hi Marie its 630 and there is no open vet or petstore/grooming in site =( then i... (47596 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (10547 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (11564 views)

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (18950 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (9502 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (14349 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (13548 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (24245 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (10600 views)