Stinky skin in pug.

Breed: pug
My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started as a small ring now its growing. My daughter said it smells like mushrooms. (I have no sense of smell). Any ideas? He does itch it allot. I do See dry skin on the bed when he gets up.
Thanks

Hi Colleen and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Buster is having this problem.

Skin problems can sometimes be difficult to answer over the internet, but I can give you some ideas.

If the area is smelly then there is a good chance that it is infected. It could possibly be a yeast infection as these can be quite smelly.

The other possibility is a bacterial infection.

In either case unfortunately there is no home remedy. A skin infection almost always needs to be treated with oral medications prescribed by the vet.

The black color sometimes means that an infection has been there for a long time. However, sometimes a dog can lose hair and have black pigment on the skin because of a thyroid condition. If your vet suspects this they may want to do some bloodwork to determine if his thyroid is ok. If not, he will need to go on a thyroid supplement.

I hope he does ok!

Thanks and if its a yeast infection what will have to be done?

Some yeast infectioms can be treated with special antifungal shampoos and sometimes a dog will need oral antifungal meds. Most likely though this is a bacterial infection.

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (12580 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (35172 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (35761 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (19007 views)

Is my hamster dead? My hamster isn't moving like he used too. His eyes are always opened and he isn't... (14174 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (6534 views)

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (7023 views)

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (14377 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (12576 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (26063 views)