Stinky skin in pug.

Breed: pug
My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started as a small ring now its growing. My daughter said it smells like mushrooms. (I have no sense of smell). Any ideas? He does itch it allot. I do See dry skin on the bed when he gets up.
Thanks

Hi Colleen and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Buster is having this problem.

Skin problems can sometimes be difficult to answer over the internet, but I can give you some ideas.

If the area is smelly then there is a good chance that it is infected. It could possibly be a yeast infection as these can be quite smelly.

The other possibility is a bacterial infection.

In either case unfortunately there is no home remedy. A skin infection almost always needs to be treated with oral medications prescribed by the vet.

The black color sometimes means that an infection has been there for a long time. However, sometimes a dog can lose hair and have black pigment on the skin because of a thyroid condition. If your vet suspects this they may want to do some bloodwork to determine if his thyroid is ok. If not, he will need to go on a thyroid supplement.

I hope he does ok!

Thanks and if its a yeast infection what will have to be done?

Some yeast infectioms can be treated with special antifungal shampoos and sometimes a dog will need oral antifungal meds. Most likely though this is a bacterial infection.

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (7967 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (13860 views)

Matts on my cat I have a long hair cat with alot of matted hair. I also got L'oreal tangle tamer for... (6729 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (8989 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4312 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (5572 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (18634 views)

Trifexis side effects I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three... (6802 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (5008 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (23038 views)