Stinky skin in pug.

Breed: pug
My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started as a small ring now its growing. My daughter said it smells like mushrooms. (I have no sense of smell). Any ideas? He does itch it allot. I do See dry skin on the bed when he gets up.
Thanks

Hi Colleen and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Buster is having this problem.

Skin problems can sometimes be difficult to answer over the internet, but I can give you some ideas.

If the area is smelly then there is a good chance that it is infected. It could possibly be a yeast infection as these can be quite smelly.

The other possibility is a bacterial infection.

In either case unfortunately there is no home remedy. A skin infection almost always needs to be treated with oral medications prescribed by the vet.

The black color sometimes means that an infection has been there for a long time. However, sometimes a dog can lose hair and have black pigment on the skin because of a thyroid condition. If your vet suspects this they may want to do some bloodwork to determine if his thyroid is ok. If not, he will need to go on a thyroid supplement.

I hope he does ok!

Thanks and if its a yeast infection what will have to be done?

Some yeast infectioms can be treated with special antifungal shampoos and sometimes a dog will need oral antifungal meds. Most likely though this is a bacterial infection.

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (9056 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (18925 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (6198 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (10821 views)

Increased appetite and hair loss. My Burmese cat is losing her hair all over and I am concerned about how hungry she... (7477 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (9757 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (9375 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (16965 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (11067 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (8951 views)