Rat lost his brother.

Breed: Tame
My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another one

Sorry to hear that Baby lost his brother.

My first instinct when I read your question was to say that he will do just fine on his own. However, I did some research for you on the social requirements of rats and came across some interesting studies.

It is believed that if a rat loses a cagemate they can go through something called "social isolation syndrome" where they do experience stress.

With that being said, I think Baby will show you whether he is doing ok or not. One of the best indicators is whether he is eating and interacting with you.

Do all you can to enrich his life and spend lots of time with him and he will likely be ok.

If not, then you may need to consider getting another rat.

One additional thought...if he is really not doing well it may be worthwhile to have a vet examine him to make sure that there is not something else going on with his health.

Hope he does ok!

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (28306 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (32391 views)

Loud noises from belly. I recently noticed loud noises coming from my 14 year old ragdolls tummy. She does... (8822 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (38233 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (32352 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (10638 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (7676 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (11622 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (8523 views)

Cavalier screaming in pain. Hi there, since last Thursday my puppy having very strange moment and I went to my... (34781 views)