Chin acne.

Breed: american shorthaird:
Hi there,

My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress, when she had to stay with a friend who has another cat (she does NOT like other cats). My cat eats high quality organic wet food off a ceramic plate that I clean every day. I first noticed little blackheads on her chin about a week after she got back from my friend's place. We then started washing her chin with warm mild soap twice daily, but the condition did not improve. The blackheads then developed into pustules that popped and scabbed over: then some of these got infected and inflamed, so we took her to the vet, who did not seem very worried. He gave her a long-acting antibiotic shot (told us it would work over a 14 day period) and some topical antibiotic/anti-inflammatory ointment to put on in the morning and at night. I have done this pretty religiously and have also given her warm chamomile compresses before I put the ointment on (since it's a natural astringent). It's now been three days since out vet visit and I've noticed that the blackheads are basically gone, but she still has three or four pustules that have grown over the days since our vet visit that look as though they're going to burst soon. One already did this morning. So why do I still see the pustules, but not the blackheads? Does this mean that she's improving or getting worse? Is there anything else I should be doing? Her condition does not look like ringworm or mouth ulcers.

Thanks for your question. Feline acne can sometimes be difficult to deal with, but from what you have described it sounds like things are going along as they should.

It sounds like Ms. Kitty has two issues. The first issue is the acne. Then, the second issue is the infection. Most likely the infection started because the acne caused the skin to get inflamed. Inflamed skin is much more prone to infection.

My guess is that the cream that was given is taking care of the blackheads (which is really the acne).

But, it will often take quite a bit longer to get rid of the infection. If it's only been 3 days so far I wouldn't be too worried. Most likely the antibiotic injection is something called Convenia. This is a really good antibiotic for most skin infections. But, skin infections can take a while to really clear up. It may be 7 days or more before the pustules start to look better.

If a pustule bursts open then you can take a warm wet cloth and clean it, but you shouldn't really have to do too much.

So, the best advice I can give here is to be patient and things should be really clearing up soon. If they don't clear up then there is the possibility that your cat has something else going on. Some cats that we think have chin acne actually have something called eosinophilic granuloma complex. If your vet thinks this is the case then they may try a steroid shot next. But I'm guessing that it won't come to that.

Hope that helps.

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (53462 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (14859 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (8623 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (28842 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (4420 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (10348 views)

Boyfriend doesn't want to neuter dog. My boyfriend and I are arguing about whether to get our dog neutered. He is a pit... (9097 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (4571 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (6171 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (12034 views)