Chin acne.

Breed: american shorthaird:
Hi there,

My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress, when she had to stay with a friend who has another cat (she does NOT like other cats). My cat eats high quality organic wet food off a ceramic plate that I clean every day. I first noticed little blackheads on her chin about a week after she got back from my friend's place. We then started washing her chin with warm mild soap twice daily, but the condition did not improve. The blackheads then developed into pustules that popped and scabbed over: then some of these got infected and inflamed, so we took her to the vet, who did not seem very worried. He gave her a long-acting antibiotic shot (told us it would work over a 14 day period) and some topical antibiotic/anti-inflammatory ointment to put on in the morning and at night. I have done this pretty religiously and have also given her warm chamomile compresses before I put the ointment on (since it's a natural astringent). It's now been three days since out vet visit and I've noticed that the blackheads are basically gone, but she still has three or four pustules that have grown over the days since our vet visit that look as though they're going to burst soon. One already did this morning. So why do I still see the pustules, but not the blackheads? Does this mean that she's improving or getting worse? Is there anything else I should be doing? Her condition does not look like ringworm or mouth ulcers.

Thanks for your question. Feline acne can sometimes be difficult to deal with, but from what you have described it sounds like things are going along as they should.

It sounds like Ms. Kitty has two issues. The first issue is the acne. Then, the second issue is the infection. Most likely the infection started because the acne caused the skin to get inflamed. Inflamed skin is much more prone to infection.

My guess is that the cream that was given is taking care of the blackheads (which is really the acne).

But, it will often take quite a bit longer to get rid of the infection. If it's only been 3 days so far I wouldn't be too worried. Most likely the antibiotic injection is something called Convenia. This is a really good antibiotic for most skin infections. But, skin infections can take a while to really clear up. It may be 7 days or more before the pustules start to look better.

If a pustule bursts open then you can take a warm wet cloth and clean it, but you shouldn't really have to do too much.

So, the best advice I can give here is to be patient and things should be really clearing up soon. If they don't clear up then there is the possibility that your cat has something else going on. Some cats that we think have chin acne actually have something called eosinophilic granuloma complex. If your vet thinks this is the case then they may try a steroid shot next. But I'm guessing that it won't come to that.

Hope that helps.

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (15566 views)

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (9306 views)

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (14229 views)

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (5931 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (41917 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (7310 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (8364 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (10064 views)

Lump on paw pad. Hi Dr. Marie! Baileys is a patient of yours at Beechwood Animal Hospital. We were... (46571 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (7539 views)