Allergic reaction.

Breed: Bernese Mountain Dog
Harley is having the following symptoms.

Shaking head regularly
licking paws
small amount of yellow crusties on the inside of the tips of his ears

Bad allergic reaction a couple of times a month for past 4 months(hives, itching). We usually treat with benadryl but have had to take him to the Emergency vet 2x for this. They ended up giving him IV doses of Benadryl.

He had the runs for a few days a couple of weeks ago but otherwise seems normal and his butt looks normal.

All 4 of our dogs are on Taste of the Wild Salmon. None of the other dogs have these issues so we have ruled out environmental.

What are your thoughts?

Sorry to hear that Harley is so uncomfortable. While I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet I'll give you my ideas on what you have described to me.

It certainly sounds like there is some type of allergy going on. It's unlikely to be because of food. Although food allergies can happen they only make up a small percentage of dog allergies. Just because the other dogs are ok, that doesn't rule out environmental allergies. For example, I may be allergic to pollen and my husband may not be. If we both went into a pollen field, I would show allergy symptoms but my husband likely won't.

Unfortunately with dogs, it is often really hard to know what they are allergic to. And...if we do find the cause it is often something we can't really control, like ragweed or some other common grass or weed.

I have found that for most dogs, giving benadryl tablets doesn't help that much with allergies. A benadryl injection can often help in severe cases but that's not something you would be repeating long term. If I'm suspecting long term allergies I will often put a dog on very small doses of steroids during allergy season. In my area, allergy season is right now!

With that being said, it sounds like these are acute allergy incidents. They may not be because of a grass or weed but could be because of something like a bee or wasp sting. I have seen some dogs that get allergic reactions like this repeatedly and often we don't know the cause.

If this is happening a couple of times per month you could talk to your vet about putting Harley on steroids for a period of time. There are some cases where a vet will prescribe an epi-pen, similar to when children have severe allergic reactions.

Hopefully that helps...but unfortunately I've had cases like this where it is very frustrating because we don't know the cause.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Are tomatoes bad for dogs? I have a question about dogs and tomatoes. I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe... (549087 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (11948 views)

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (10900 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (8136 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (12786 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (46410 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (5956 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (8210 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (22097 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (9710 views)