Allergic reaction.

Breed: Bernese Mountain Dog
Harley is having the following symptoms.

Shaking head regularly
licking paws
small amount of yellow crusties on the inside of the tips of his ears

Bad allergic reaction a couple of times a month for past 4 months(hives, itching). We usually treat with benadryl but have had to take him to the Emergency vet 2x for this. They ended up giving him IV doses of Benadryl.

He had the runs for a few days a couple of weeks ago but otherwise seems normal and his butt looks normal.

All 4 of our dogs are on Taste of the Wild Salmon. None of the other dogs have these issues so we have ruled out environmental.

What are your thoughts?

Sorry to hear that Harley is so uncomfortable. While I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet I'll give you my ideas on what you have described to me.

It certainly sounds like there is some type of allergy going on. It's unlikely to be because of food. Although food allergies can happen they only make up a small percentage of dog allergies. Just because the other dogs are ok, that doesn't rule out environmental allergies. For example, I may be allergic to pollen and my husband may not be. If we both went into a pollen field, I would show allergy symptoms but my husband likely won't.

Unfortunately with dogs, it is often really hard to know what they are allergic to. And...if we do find the cause it is often something we can't really control, like ragweed or some other common grass or weed.

I have found that for most dogs, giving benadryl tablets doesn't help that much with allergies. A benadryl injection can often help in severe cases but that's not something you would be repeating long term. If I'm suspecting long term allergies I will often put a dog on very small doses of steroids during allergy season. In my area, allergy season is right now!

With that being said, it sounds like these are acute allergy incidents. They may not be because of a grass or weed but could be because of something like a bee or wasp sting. I have seen some dogs that get allergic reactions like this repeatedly and often we don't know the cause.

If this is happening a couple of times per month you could talk to your vet about putting Harley on steroids for a period of time. There are some cases where a vet will prescribe an epi-pen, similar to when children have severe allergic reactions.

Hopefully that helps...but unfortunately I've had cases like this where it is very frustrating because we don't know the cause.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (8759 views)

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (23972 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (42817 views)

Does my puppy have a UTI? My puggle puppy usually tells me when she has to go out. But for the past two-three... (10510 views)

Dog Won't Eat My dog won't eat at all,but he still drink(not much)..He wanna move but he can't... (23068 views)

Red spots on dog's back. my dog scraches all the time i use oatmeal based shampoo--even given her phenergan... (4623 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (5281 views)

Patches of fur loss. My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck... (10275 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (23454 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (28247 views)