Guinea Pig Pregnancy info.

Breed: Guinea pig abyssinia
Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes pregnant!
When i first got her, the pet store owner told me that she gave birth before.
She is at least 7 months of age now. I know from reading from several sites that guniea pigs drink more water when pregnant.
She is drinking alot more then when i got her.
Also, i noticed that her tummy is getting bigger, sometimes when i touch it, i feel movements inside.
The good thing is, she does not seem to mind me touching it. Instead, she purrs alot when i touch her.
The thing is, im not really prepared to have baby guinea pigs! Also, i feel really scared thinking that shes gonna give birth!
I haven't told my parents though, because i feel really shy about it.
What should i do? How do i know when i she is going to give birth?
When the guinea pigs arrive, what am i to do with them?
And also, am i allowed to bath my guinea pig after she gives birth? if not, how do i clean her?

Thanks alot doctor marie!
Jamie.

Hi and thanks for your question!

If Charlie is indeed pregnant, I do get concerned about a pregnancy in a guinea pig older than 7 months of age. After 7 months, the pelvic bones fuse which makes it very difficult for babies to pass through the birth canal. Unfortunately many guinea pigs older than 7 months need to have a C-Section in order to have their babies safely.

Here are a few facts about guinea pig pregnancy that might help you out:

• A guinea pig pregnancy lasts between 63 and 70 days.

• A pregnant guinea pig will usually have a very large abdomen late in their pregnancy.

• In a guinea pig who does not have a fused pelvis (i.e. <7 months of age) the birthing process generally takes about 30 minutes with about 5 minutes between babies.

• Litter size can range from 1-6 babies with an average being 3 or 4.

• Stillbirths and abortions are common in guinea pigs.

• Once born, the guinea pig pups will nurse for about 10-14 days. After that you can offer regular guinea pig food to them. Some guinea pig pups will start eating regular food right from day 1!

I would highly advise a vet visit for Charlie. Your vet will likely take an xray and may be able to tell if the pelvis is fused or not. This will tell us whether she needs a C-Section.

I hope all goes well!

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (10428 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (8444 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (4776 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (10713 views)

Snorting dog My dog has been sneezing and once ina while making a coughing sound...like snoring. ... (25834 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (20619 views)

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (5738 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (37385 views)

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (6666 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (19933 views)