Guinea Pig Pregnancy info.

Breed: Guinea pig abyssinia
Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes pregnant!
When i first got her, the pet store owner told me that she gave birth before.
She is at least 7 months of age now. I know from reading from several sites that guniea pigs drink more water when pregnant.
She is drinking alot more then when i got her.
Also, i noticed that her tummy is getting bigger, sometimes when i touch it, i feel movements inside.
The good thing is, she does not seem to mind me touching it. Instead, she purrs alot when i touch her.
The thing is, im not really prepared to have baby guinea pigs! Also, i feel really scared thinking that shes gonna give birth!
I haven't told my parents though, because i feel really shy about it.
What should i do? How do i know when i she is going to give birth?
When the guinea pigs arrive, what am i to do with them?
And also, am i allowed to bath my guinea pig after she gives birth? if not, how do i clean her?

Thanks alot doctor marie!
Jamie.

Hi and thanks for your question!

If Charlie is indeed pregnant, I do get concerned about a pregnancy in a guinea pig older than 7 months of age. After 7 months, the pelvic bones fuse which makes it very difficult for babies to pass through the birth canal. Unfortunately many guinea pigs older than 7 months need to have a C-Section in order to have their babies safely.

Here are a few facts about guinea pig pregnancy that might help you out:

• A guinea pig pregnancy lasts between 63 and 70 days.

• A pregnant guinea pig will usually have a very large abdomen late in their pregnancy.

• In a guinea pig who does not have a fused pelvis (i.e. <7 months of age) the birthing process generally takes about 30 minutes with about 5 minutes between babies.

• Litter size can range from 1-6 babies with an average being 3 or 4.

• Stillbirths and abortions are common in guinea pigs.

• Once born, the guinea pig pups will nurse for about 10-14 days. After that you can offer regular guinea pig food to them. Some guinea pig pups will start eating regular food right from day 1!

I would highly advise a vet visit for Charlie. Your vet will likely take an xray and may be able to tell if the pelvis is fused or not. This will tell us whether she needs a C-Section.

I hope all goes well!

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (12083 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (14067 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (83124 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (32243 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (10275 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (7687 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (12932 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (6632 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (111351 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (40730 views)