Guinea Pig Pregnancy info.

Breed: Guinea pig abyssinia
Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes pregnant!
When i first got her, the pet store owner told me that she gave birth before.
She is at least 7 months of age now. I know from reading from several sites that guniea pigs drink more water when pregnant.
She is drinking alot more then when i got her.
Also, i noticed that her tummy is getting bigger, sometimes when i touch it, i feel movements inside.
The good thing is, she does not seem to mind me touching it. Instead, she purrs alot when i touch her.
The thing is, im not really prepared to have baby guinea pigs! Also, i feel really scared thinking that shes gonna give birth!
I haven't told my parents though, because i feel really shy about it.
What should i do? How do i know when i she is going to give birth?
When the guinea pigs arrive, what am i to do with them?
And also, am i allowed to bath my guinea pig after she gives birth? if not, how do i clean her?

Thanks alot doctor marie!
Jamie.

Hi and thanks for your question!

If Charlie is indeed pregnant, I do get concerned about a pregnancy in a guinea pig older than 7 months of age. After 7 months, the pelvic bones fuse which makes it very difficult for babies to pass through the birth canal. Unfortunately many guinea pigs older than 7 months need to have a C-Section in order to have their babies safely.

Here are a few facts about guinea pig pregnancy that might help you out:

• A guinea pig pregnancy lasts between 63 and 70 days.

• A pregnant guinea pig will usually have a very large abdomen late in their pregnancy.

• In a guinea pig who does not have a fused pelvis (i.e. <7 months of age) the birthing process generally takes about 30 minutes with about 5 minutes between babies.

• Litter size can range from 1-6 babies with an average being 3 or 4.

• Stillbirths and abortions are common in guinea pigs.

• Once born, the guinea pig pups will nurse for about 10-14 days. After that you can offer regular guinea pig food to them. Some guinea pig pups will start eating regular food right from day 1!

I would highly advise a vet visit for Charlie. Your vet will likely take an xray and may be able to tell if the pelvis is fused or not. This will tell us whether she needs a C-Section.

I hope all goes well!

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (8705 views)

Bassett with swollen eyes. I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took... (14042 views)

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (11789 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (7211 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (39615 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (9475 views)

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (5363 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (64238 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (4788 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (9587 views)