Guinea Pig Pregnancy info.

Breed: Guinea pig abyssinia
Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes pregnant!
When i first got her, the pet store owner told me that she gave birth before.
She is at least 7 months of age now. I know from reading from several sites that guniea pigs drink more water when pregnant.
She is drinking alot more then when i got her.
Also, i noticed that her tummy is getting bigger, sometimes when i touch it, i feel movements inside.
The good thing is, she does not seem to mind me touching it. Instead, she purrs alot when i touch her.
The thing is, im not really prepared to have baby guinea pigs! Also, i feel really scared thinking that shes gonna give birth!
I haven't told my parents though, because i feel really shy about it.
What should i do? How do i know when i she is going to give birth?
When the guinea pigs arrive, what am i to do with them?
And also, am i allowed to bath my guinea pig after she gives birth? if not, how do i clean her?

Thanks alot doctor marie!
Jamie.

Hi and thanks for your question!

If Charlie is indeed pregnant, I do get concerned about a pregnancy in a guinea pig older than 7 months of age. After 7 months, the pelvic bones fuse which makes it very difficult for babies to pass through the birth canal. Unfortunately many guinea pigs older than 7 months need to have a C-Section in order to have their babies safely.

Here are a few facts about guinea pig pregnancy that might help you out:

• A guinea pig pregnancy lasts between 63 and 70 days.

• A pregnant guinea pig will usually have a very large abdomen late in their pregnancy.

• In a guinea pig who does not have a fused pelvis (i.e. <7 months of age) the birthing process generally takes about 30 minutes with about 5 minutes between babies.

• Litter size can range from 1-6 babies with an average being 3 or 4.

• Stillbirths and abortions are common in guinea pigs.

• Once born, the guinea pig pups will nurse for about 10-14 days. After that you can offer regular guinea pig food to them. Some guinea pig pups will start eating regular food right from day 1!

I would highly advise a vet visit for Charlie. Your vet will likely take an xray and may be able to tell if the pelvis is fused or not. This will tell us whether she needs a C-Section.

I hope all goes well!

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (37514 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (17299 views)

Benadryl for thunderstorms? My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart... (37994 views)

Is this distemper? I live in Mexico and I rescued Trinket when she was 8 to 10 weeks old. She had... (9216 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (11259 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (10413 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (8502 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (11572 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (23401 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (9415 views)