Guinea Pig Pregnancy info.

Breed: Guinea pig abyssinia
Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes pregnant!
When i first got her, the pet store owner told me that she gave birth before.
She is at least 7 months of age now. I know from reading from several sites that guniea pigs drink more water when pregnant.
She is drinking alot more then when i got her.
Also, i noticed that her tummy is getting bigger, sometimes when i touch it, i feel movements inside.
The good thing is, she does not seem to mind me touching it. Instead, she purrs alot when i touch her.
The thing is, im not really prepared to have baby guinea pigs! Also, i feel really scared thinking that shes gonna give birth!
I haven't told my parents though, because i feel really shy about it.
What should i do? How do i know when i she is going to give birth?
When the guinea pigs arrive, what am i to do with them?
And also, am i allowed to bath my guinea pig after she gives birth? if not, how do i clean her?

Thanks alot doctor marie!
Jamie.

Hi and thanks for your question!

If Charlie is indeed pregnant, I do get concerned about a pregnancy in a guinea pig older than 7 months of age. After 7 months, the pelvic bones fuse which makes it very difficult for babies to pass through the birth canal. Unfortunately many guinea pigs older than 7 months need to have a C-Section in order to have their babies safely.

Here are a few facts about guinea pig pregnancy that might help you out:

• A guinea pig pregnancy lasts between 63 and 70 days.

• A pregnant guinea pig will usually have a very large abdomen late in their pregnancy.

• In a guinea pig who does not have a fused pelvis (i.e. <7 months of age) the birthing process generally takes about 30 minutes with about 5 minutes between babies.

• Litter size can range from 1-6 babies with an average being 3 or 4.

• Stillbirths and abortions are common in guinea pigs.

• Once born, the guinea pig pups will nurse for about 10-14 days. After that you can offer regular guinea pig food to them. Some guinea pig pups will start eating regular food right from day 1!

I would highly advise a vet visit for Charlie. Your vet will likely take an xray and may be able to tell if the pelvis is fused or not. This will tell us whether she needs a C-Section.

I hope all goes well!

Cat not eating since new kitten arrived. My cat's behavior has changed quite a bit and won't eat. I will explain when he... (19646 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (5241 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (9089 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (6238 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (127256 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (9023 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (5108 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (17992 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (10112 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (31197 views)