Cat can't put weight on leg.

Breed: lakeland patterdale
hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins later carring his rear left leg he is un able to put any weight on his leg i know that it is not broken and he does not seem in any pain as he is still playfull but if i push against his pad he does not try to push away unlike his other side and i was just wondering what the problem might be and what i should do ?

Oh, I am so sorry that Basil is not doing well!

There are a few possibilities for what could be going on. While I can't say for sure without examining him, I can give you a few ideas.

It certainly is possible that he has just "pulled" something and that he will be better in a few days. However, usually when a cat is not bearing any weight on a leg it is something more serious.

If he is totally non weight bearing then I am quite concerned about a possible fracture. I have had patients where I could not feel a fracture, but one was visible on xray. It is possible there is a hip or pelvis fracture or even a hip dislocation.

While some cats can be non-weight bearing because of an infection from a cat bite this usually takes a couple of days to develop so I don't think this is it.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine for pain that is safe for cats. If he is still non-weight bearing today, unfortunately he will likely need a vet visit and some xrays.

I hope he's ok!

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (9190 views)

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (10202 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (21106 views)

Swollen foot after wound. My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He... (4357 views)

Vomiting foam and not eating. Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the... (45625 views)

Metronidazole and liver disease. My dog was diagnosed with sudden liver failure brought on by Interceptor. He got... (25714 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (25560 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (11842 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (4889 views)

Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism? My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in... (5479 views)