Cat can't put weight on leg.

Breed: lakeland patterdale
hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins later carring his rear left leg he is un able to put any weight on his leg i know that it is not broken and he does not seem in any pain as he is still playfull but if i push against his pad he does not try to push away unlike his other side and i was just wondering what the problem might be and what i should do ?

Oh, I am so sorry that Basil is not doing well!

There are a few possibilities for what could be going on. While I can't say for sure without examining him, I can give you a few ideas.

It certainly is possible that he has just "pulled" something and that he will be better in a few days. However, usually when a cat is not bearing any weight on a leg it is something more serious.

If he is totally non weight bearing then I am quite concerned about a possible fracture. I have had patients where I could not feel a fracture, but one was visible on xray. It is possible there is a hip or pelvis fracture or even a hip dislocation.

While some cats can be non-weight bearing because of an infection from a cat bite this usually takes a couple of days to develop so I don't think this is it.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine for pain that is safe for cats. If he is still non-weight bearing today, unfortunately he will likely need a vet visit and some xrays.

I hope he's ok!

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (9297 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (6238 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (9059 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (17714 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (16655 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (13880 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (15450 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (9941 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (4530 views)

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (12097 views)