Cat can't put weight on leg.

Breed: lakeland patterdale
hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins later carring his rear left leg he is un able to put any weight on his leg i know that it is not broken and he does not seem in any pain as he is still playfull but if i push against his pad he does not try to push away unlike his other side and i was just wondering what the problem might be and what i should do ?

Oh, I am so sorry that Basil is not doing well!

There are a few possibilities for what could be going on. While I can't say for sure without examining him, I can give you a few ideas.

It certainly is possible that he has just "pulled" something and that he will be better in a few days. However, usually when a cat is not bearing any weight on a leg it is something more serious.

If he is totally non weight bearing then I am quite concerned about a possible fracture. I have had patients where I could not feel a fracture, but one was visible on xray. It is possible there is a hip or pelvis fracture or even a hip dislocation.

While some cats can be non-weight bearing because of an infection from a cat bite this usually takes a couple of days to develop so I don't think this is it.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine for pain that is safe for cats. If he is still non-weight bearing today, unfortunately he will likely need a vet visit and some xrays.

I hope he's ok!

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (9119 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (91412 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (77996 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (31710 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (10468 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (23167 views)

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (7711 views)

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (9726 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (18195 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (26697 views)