Cat can't put weight on leg.

Breed: lakeland patterdale
hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins later carring his rear left leg he is un able to put any weight on his leg i know that it is not broken and he does not seem in any pain as he is still playfull but if i push against his pad he does not try to push away unlike his other side and i was just wondering what the problem might be and what i should do ?

Oh, I am so sorry that Basil is not doing well!

There are a few possibilities for what could be going on. While I can't say for sure without examining him, I can give you a few ideas.

It certainly is possible that he has just "pulled" something and that he will be better in a few days. However, usually when a cat is not bearing any weight on a leg it is something more serious.

If he is totally non weight bearing then I am quite concerned about a possible fracture. I have had patients where I could not feel a fracture, but one was visible on xray. It is possible there is a hip or pelvis fracture or even a hip dislocation.

While some cats can be non-weight bearing because of an infection from a cat bite this usually takes a couple of days to develop so I don't think this is it.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine for pain that is safe for cats. If he is still non-weight bearing today, unfortunately he will likely need a vet visit and some xrays.

I hope he's ok!

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (16165 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (42665 views)

Vita Calm in dogs? i was wondering if i could safly use vitacalm for hosres on my dog for his... (9928 views)

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (14220 views)

Fever and dizziness in older dog. Dear Dr. Marie, Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to... (6682 views)

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (35327 views)

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (26004 views)

Full anal glands. full anal... (7848 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (18504 views)

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (46546 views)