Cat can't put weight on leg.

Breed: lakeland patterdale
hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins later carring his rear left leg he is un able to put any weight on his leg i know that it is not broken and he does not seem in any pain as he is still playfull but if i push against his pad he does not try to push away unlike his other side and i was just wondering what the problem might be and what i should do ?

Oh, I am so sorry that Basil is not doing well!

There are a few possibilities for what could be going on. While I can't say for sure without examining him, I can give you a few ideas.

It certainly is possible that he has just "pulled" something and that he will be better in a few days. However, usually when a cat is not bearing any weight on a leg it is something more serious.

If he is totally non weight bearing then I am quite concerned about a possible fracture. I have had patients where I could not feel a fracture, but one was visible on xray. It is possible there is a hip or pelvis fracture or even a hip dislocation.

While some cats can be non-weight bearing because of an infection from a cat bite this usually takes a couple of days to develop so I don't think this is it.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine for pain that is safe for cats. If he is still non-weight bearing today, unfortunately he will likely need a vet visit and some xrays.

I hope he's ok!

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (8829 views)

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (84537 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (16624 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (6065 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (10844 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (5112 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (13030 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (6996 views)

Hairless cat skin problem. I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the... (9671 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (56566 views)