Kitten panting.

Breed: DSH
My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. My 7 month cat loves to fetch a foam golf ball, and will do it until he starts to pant, although briefly. Is this normal for a young cat, or should I have him checked for a possible health problem? I don't recall any other cat I've had panting.

I have seen a few kittens that pant when they are active. In most cases it is nothing to worry about. However, sometimes this can be a sign of a serious heart condition.

If he does this occasionally and it doesn't seem to be getting worse, then I would simply limit the amount of time he spends playing ball.

But, if it is getting worse or happening very regularly then you should have your vet check his heart.

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (6432 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (8418 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (34108 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (56653 views)

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (117283 views)

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (13020 views)

Rare form hepatitis. I got Sadie in January this year. She is a rescue. She's been sick since February.... (5573 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (9309 views)

Is my dog overheating? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old... (10001 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (7347 views)