Kitten panting.

Breed: DSH
My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. My 7 month cat loves to fetch a foam golf ball, and will do it until he starts to pant, although briefly. Is this normal for a young cat, or should I have him checked for a possible health problem? I don't recall any other cat I've had panting.

I have seen a few kittens that pant when they are active. In most cases it is nothing to worry about. However, sometimes this can be a sign of a serious heart condition.

If he does this occasionally and it doesn't seem to be getting worse, then I would simply limit the amount of time he spends playing ball.

But, if it is getting worse or happening very regularly then you should have your vet check his heart.

Dog spay incision lump. My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a... (97443 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (13197 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (86551 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (15289 views)

Bump under eye - tooth abscess My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't... (15582 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (30504 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (12023 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (8648 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (14557 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (10584 views)