Kitten panting.

Breed: DSH
My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. My 7 month cat loves to fetch a foam golf ball, and will do it until he starts to pant, although briefly. Is this normal for a young cat, or should I have him checked for a possible health problem? I don't recall any other cat I've had panting.

I have seen a few kittens that pant when they are active. In most cases it is nothing to worry about. However, sometimes this can be a sign of a serious heart condition.

If he does this occasionally and it doesn't seem to be getting worse, then I would simply limit the amount of time he spends playing ball.

But, if it is getting worse or happening very regularly then you should have your vet check his heart.

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (17023 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (13980 views)

Peeing in the house. I would like a REAL solution to this, without the standard answers or suggestions(... (8709 views)

Pregnant dog with a fever? My bitch is pregnant - 63 days from first breeding today. Reproduction specialist... (39822 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (23973 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (11619 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (13404 views)

Lethargic shih tzu My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a... (25210 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (7141 views)

Wheezing dog. My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or... (7707 views)