Home remedy for ear infection?

Breed: golden retreiver
My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to date and his rabies is good until April 11, he now seems to have an ear infection (?) should I be concerned? Is there anything that I can treat him with at home that is natural. I have heard tea tree oil works?

Thank you

Thanks for your question.

You may not be happy with my answer though. :(

Unfortunately almost all ear infections need to be treated with medication prescribed by the veterinarian.

Sometimes if a dog just has excess debris in the ear then regular cleansing with an ear cleaner can help. However, if there is a lot of debris, or the debris keeps coming back after cleaning then this is likely an ear infection that will need stronger medicine.

Ear infections are really common in Golden Retrievers. They are usually caused by a combination of bacteria and yeast. Your vet may do a test called a cytology where they can determine if this is bacteria, yeast or a combo of both. Then, they can decide which medication is best.

I know it is expensive to see the vet but it is definitely worthwhile. I have seen so many dogs that have horrible problems with their ears because their owners tried to treat them at home. I have had some people try to treat the ears with an over the counter yeast medication. This ended up causing a horrible bacterial infection.

When ear infections go untreated for a long time they can be very expensive to clear up.

I hope things are ok soon!

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (13991 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (14146 views)

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (17353 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (10147 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (7742 views)

Cat with bloody diarrhea iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i... (5688 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (9303 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (13187 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (9981 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (7866 views)