Home remedy for ear infection?

Breed: golden retreiver
My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to date and his rabies is good until April 11, he now seems to have an ear infection (?) should I be concerned? Is there anything that I can treat him with at home that is natural. I have heard tea tree oil works?

Thank you

Thanks for your question.

You may not be happy with my answer though. :(

Unfortunately almost all ear infections need to be treated with medication prescribed by the veterinarian.

Sometimes if a dog just has excess debris in the ear then regular cleansing with an ear cleaner can help. However, if there is a lot of debris, or the debris keeps coming back after cleaning then this is likely an ear infection that will need stronger medicine.

Ear infections are really common in Golden Retrievers. They are usually caused by a combination of bacteria and yeast. Your vet may do a test called a cytology where they can determine if this is bacteria, yeast or a combo of both. Then, they can decide which medication is best.

I know it is expensive to see the vet but it is definitely worthwhile. I have seen so many dogs that have horrible problems with their ears because their owners tried to treat them at home. I have had some people try to treat the ears with an over the counter yeast medication. This ended up causing a horrible bacterial infection.

When ear infections go untreated for a long time they can be very expensive to clear up.

I hope things are ok soon!

Repeat of parvo? my 3 puppies got parvo last week (6/29/2010)they were only 3 months old and they all... (21510 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (74859 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (18290 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (11465 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (11728 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (7832 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (8128 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (5042 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (15766 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (29883 views)