Home remedy for ear infection?

Breed: golden retreiver
My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to date and his rabies is good until April 11, he now seems to have an ear infection (?) should I be concerned? Is there anything that I can treat him with at home that is natural. I have heard tea tree oil works?

Thank you

Thanks for your question.

You may not be happy with my answer though. :(

Unfortunately almost all ear infections need to be treated with medication prescribed by the veterinarian.

Sometimes if a dog just has excess debris in the ear then regular cleansing with an ear cleaner can help. However, if there is a lot of debris, or the debris keeps coming back after cleaning then this is likely an ear infection that will need stronger medicine.

Ear infections are really common in Golden Retrievers. They are usually caused by a combination of bacteria and yeast. Your vet may do a test called a cytology where they can determine if this is bacteria, yeast or a combo of both. Then, they can decide which medication is best.

I know it is expensive to see the vet but it is definitely worthwhile. I have seen so many dogs that have horrible problems with their ears because their owners tried to treat them at home. I have had some people try to treat the ears with an over the counter yeast medication. This ended up causing a horrible bacterial infection.

When ear infections go untreated for a long time they can be very expensive to clear up.

I hope things are ok soon!

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (18547 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (5764 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (10950 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (13910 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (8463 views)

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (10524 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (5092 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (6390 views)

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (12174 views)

Sick guinea pig. hello, i need help. my guinea pig peppy is really dehydrated and really weak, today... (11878 views)