Home remedy for ear infection?

Breed: golden retreiver
My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to date and his rabies is good until April 11, he now seems to have an ear infection (?) should I be concerned? Is there anything that I can treat him with at home that is natural. I have heard tea tree oil works?

Thank you

Thanks for your question.

You may not be happy with my answer though. :(

Unfortunately almost all ear infections need to be treated with medication prescribed by the veterinarian.

Sometimes if a dog just has excess debris in the ear then regular cleansing with an ear cleaner can help. However, if there is a lot of debris, or the debris keeps coming back after cleaning then this is likely an ear infection that will need stronger medicine.

Ear infections are really common in Golden Retrievers. They are usually caused by a combination of bacteria and yeast. Your vet may do a test called a cytology where they can determine if this is bacteria, yeast or a combo of both. Then, they can decide which medication is best.

I know it is expensive to see the vet but it is definitely worthwhile. I have seen so many dogs that have horrible problems with their ears because their owners tried to treat them at home. I have had some people try to treat the ears with an over the counter yeast medication. This ended up causing a horrible bacterial infection.

When ear infections go untreated for a long time they can be very expensive to clear up.

I hope things are ok soon!

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (7529 views)

Natural treatment for lymphoma? my dog was just diagnosed with lymphoma cancer. hes on prednisone. cant afford... (10226 views)

Paraneoplastic syndrome? In 3/2013 after suffering 2 "seizures," Clark was diagnosed with insulinoma from... (9164 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (11757 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (23801 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (7394 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (19887 views)

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (13872 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (7495 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (11561 views)