Cat has flaky skin.

Breed: Maine Coon
My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few months ago for crystals (now all cleared up) and I had the vet do a skin scraping to see if there were any creepy crawlies, none were found. He's strictly an indoor cat and lives with a dog and 3 other indoor cats. Dog has no flea issues or any other things. So I was combing him and noticed that his roots are black, the actual part that's in the skin. None of the other cats have this and they are in close contact with each other. I haven't seen any sign of anything on his fur, as in nits or fleas. There's no sign of dried blood like from flea bites. His skin isn't red, there's no rashes or irritated areas. He is a silver shaded tabby but I've never seen black roots before and it's a bit on the weird side to me.

He does have an appointment with his vet on the 31st to see if she knows what this is. Searching on the net has given me nothing!

Thanks, look forward to hearing from you.

Patty

Thanks for your question.

I can't say that any medical conditions are popping in to my mind when I read your description of Nino's skin issue. I have seen cats that naturally have a different color of fur at the root than the rest of the hair shaft so this can be a normal thing.

Sometimes flaky skin can be related to a cat's diet. You may want to ask your vet if adding some omega fatty acids to the diet would help.

If Nino is overweight, it is quite common to see flaky skin, especially over the back near the base of the tail. This is likely a grooming issue in these overweight cats.

Most likely, if Nino does not seem uncomfortable I would not be too worried.

Hope that helps but let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks for the quick response. It's not his hair but the actual root end, you know the little bulb at the end, what you see when you pull a hair out of your head. His hair is white and shaded black at the tips. Totally baffled myself as all my other cats have normal whitish roots.

Thanks again!

Patty

I definitely understand what you are talking about with Nino's hair. I can tell you that I have seen this in many cats including one of my own. She was a calico cat but many of her white and brown hairs would have about 1-2mm of black at the end. This really shouldn't be anything to worry about. :)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (7723 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (7789 views)

Lab has a lump on his muzzle. We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I... (11364 views)

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (21981 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (6596 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (19310 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (13208 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (68566 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (14329 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (7741 views)