Red eye in kitten.

Breed: he is a mix i am not
my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when he licks his paw and he will try to open it but it doesn't get very far. I tried putting water in his eye, he seems to open it more then but then will soon again close his eye and swat at it again. There is no goo or anything, his left eye (which is the one having the problem) will water at times also. I am worried, I don't know wether to take him to the vet or wait a few days and see if it continues and whether i can buy something to take care of his problem without making a visit to the vet.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms you mentioned.

Often kittens can get an upper respiratory virus which can cause an eye infection. We usually do see a green or yellow discharge but sometimes early in the condition there is none.

Another possibility is if he has scratched his eye. If so, this is serious and it is important for him to get treatment.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that I would consider safe in this situation. For eye issues I always recommend a vet visit right away.

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (9271 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (25265 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (47707 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (9289 views)

Treatments for IBD in dogs. My dog has IBD, biopsy diagnosis. Tested feb 2010 mild fib rising lymphocytic... (16942 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (9269 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (8911 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (10669 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (18900 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (14331 views)