Red eye in kitten.

Breed: he is a mix i am not
my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when he licks his paw and he will try to open it but it doesn't get very far. I tried putting water in his eye, he seems to open it more then but then will soon again close his eye and swat at it again. There is no goo or anything, his left eye (which is the one having the problem) will water at times also. I am worried, I don't know wether to take him to the vet or wait a few days and see if it continues and whether i can buy something to take care of his problem without making a visit to the vet.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms you mentioned.

Often kittens can get an upper respiratory virus which can cause an eye infection. We usually do see a green or yellow discharge but sometimes early in the condition there is none.

Another possibility is if he has scratched his eye. If so, this is serious and it is important for him to get treatment.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that I would consider safe in this situation. For eye issues I always recommend a vet visit right away.

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (56896 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (7928 views)

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (9923 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (33105 views)

Kitten has diarrhea Hi, my four month old cat has not stopped doing runny poos since i have had her. i... (8436 views)

Chihuahuas with parvo My three puppies are sick i believe they all have parvo. Here are my reasons 1).The... (10696 views)

Swollen oozing paw. Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is... (31752 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (7385 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (13615 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (13882 views)