Red eye in kitten.

Breed: he is a mix i am not
my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when he licks his paw and he will try to open it but it doesn't get very far. I tried putting water in his eye, he seems to open it more then but then will soon again close his eye and swat at it again. There is no goo or anything, his left eye (which is the one having the problem) will water at times also. I am worried, I don't know wether to take him to the vet or wait a few days and see if it continues and whether i can buy something to take care of his problem without making a visit to the vet.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms you mentioned.

Often kittens can get an upper respiratory virus which can cause an eye infection. We usually do see a green or yellow discharge but sometimes early in the condition there is none.

Another possibility is if he has scratched his eye. If so, this is serious and it is important for him to get treatment.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that I would consider safe in this situation. For eye issues I always recommend a vet visit right away.

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (10509 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (9283 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (9275 views)

Cleansing diet for dogs? I've just heard about the Chinese dog treat scare, and I'm going to check all my... (4970 views)

Possible rabies. Hello, My dog bit me, on my arm, exactly 10 days ago. Today is the 10th day and he... (9285 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (8236 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (5148 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (11630 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (4277 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (5418 views)