Red eye in kitten.

Breed: he is a mix i am not
my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when he licks his paw and he will try to open it but it doesn't get very far. I tried putting water in his eye, he seems to open it more then but then will soon again close his eye and swat at it again. There is no goo or anything, his left eye (which is the one having the problem) will water at times also. I am worried, I don't know wether to take him to the vet or wait a few days and see if it continues and whether i can buy something to take care of his problem without making a visit to the vet.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms you mentioned.

Often kittens can get an upper respiratory virus which can cause an eye infection. We usually do see a green or yellow discharge but sometimes early in the condition there is none.

Another possibility is if he has scratched his eye. If so, this is serious and it is important for him to get treatment.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that I would consider safe in this situation. For eye issues I always recommend a vet visit right away.

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (12921 views)

Is my cat pregnant? we just opened our home to a female stray cat. i estimated her to be a year old or... (10495 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (15170 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (7791 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (10857 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (11173 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (8849 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (71109 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (16126 views)

Dog has smelly ears. hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come... (6949 views)