Red eye in kitten.

Breed: he is a mix i am not
my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when he licks his paw and he will try to open it but it doesn't get very far. I tried putting water in his eye, he seems to open it more then but then will soon again close his eye and swat at it again. There is no goo or anything, his left eye (which is the one having the problem) will water at times also. I am worried, I don't know wether to take him to the vet or wait a few days and see if it continues and whether i can buy something to take care of his problem without making a visit to the vet.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms you mentioned.

Often kittens can get an upper respiratory virus which can cause an eye infection. We usually do see a green or yellow discharge but sometimes early in the condition there is none.

Another possibility is if he has scratched his eye. If so, this is serious and it is important for him to get treatment.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that I would consider safe in this situation. For eye issues I always recommend a vet visit right away.

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (9721 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (9288 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (10654 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (9197 views)

1 week old puppy checkup can you take a 1 week old puppy to the vet to get it checked to make sure its ok and... (6943 views)

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (4113 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (61293 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (12637 views)

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (14494 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (4876 views)