Red eye in kitten.

Breed: he is a mix i am not
my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when he licks his paw and he will try to open it but it doesn't get very far. I tried putting water in his eye, he seems to open it more then but then will soon again close his eye and swat at it again. There is no goo or anything, his left eye (which is the one having the problem) will water at times also. I am worried, I don't know wether to take him to the vet or wait a few days and see if it continues and whether i can buy something to take care of his problem without making a visit to the vet.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms you mentioned.

Often kittens can get an upper respiratory virus which can cause an eye infection. We usually do see a green or yellow discharge but sometimes early in the condition there is none.

Another possibility is if he has scratched his eye. If so, this is serious and it is important for him to get treatment.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that I would consider safe in this situation. For eye issues I always recommend a vet visit right away.

Sore chihuahua My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he... (7169 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (7948 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (9727 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (9131 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (19304 views)

Do dogs get sciatica? Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping... (13063 views)

Puppy vaccinations. I have a new puppy. I was given his vaccination record (number of... (4490 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (14266 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (11298 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (5753 views)