Cat has high ALT.

Breed: medium hair mongrel
my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in mid-june--she had been not wanting to eat.an ultrasound was done and no cancer was found,no small intestine inflammation and possible a little pancreas inflammation.because of the white blood cell count she was put on antibiotic( clavamox) for one week.she is an epileptic cat and gets phenobarbitol (2x/day) but was told the elevated enzyme was not due to that(testing for pheno barb was also done).she was also put on 100mg zentonil advanced (1x/day).a week after antibiotic was finished she had more blood work done--the alt had gone from 195 to 95 and the white blood cell count had gone down but not in the normal range(but near to).continued with the zentonil--her appetite had returned and she was now on better food.two weeks after this blood test took her in for another blood test---only her enzyme levels were checked.however,the alt had gone back up to 135.now told to wait a month to "see what happens" and take her in again for more blood work.she has gained 9 ounces in the two weeks between the two blood tests.i am wondering what could be going on and what the chances are that things will return to normal in the next month.

Hi and thanks for your question.

It sounds like your vet has been very thorough.

There are a number of reasons for an increase in ALT in a cat and often it is hard to determine why.

I think your vet's approach to the slightly increased ALT is good. An ALT level of 135 is really only slightly above the normal level. Personally, I don't get terribly worried until I see an ALT of greater than 300. (However, a slight ALT combined with the symptoms of not eating well would make me want to do additional tests on the liver.)

as Fluffy is improving and gaining weight I think it is a good plan to wait and see how things go and then retest the ALT after a month.

Do you know if your vet has done pre and post prandial bile acids? These blood tests can often tell us if there is a problem with liver function. If these tests are normal then usually this tells us that we don't need to be too worried about the liver.

Some cats will have an increase in ALT because of mild pancreatitis or inflammatory bowel disease, or even possibly hyperthryoidism. Most likely your vet has checked for these as well.

It sounds like you and your vet are on the right track.

I hope things continue to improve.

Brown spots on puppy's belly. Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area... (46522 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (21774 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (56737 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (38892 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (13812 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (65305 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (10238 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (10038 views)

Wound on cat's leg. Sydney is an indoor/outdoor cat. Last week he got a cut on his front leg. I was... (20487 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (6946 views)