Cat has high ALT.

Breed: medium hair mongrel
my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in mid-june--she had been not wanting to eat.an ultrasound was done and no cancer was found,no small intestine inflammation and possible a little pancreas inflammation.because of the white blood cell count she was put on antibiotic( clavamox) for one week.she is an epileptic cat and gets phenobarbitol (2x/day) but was told the elevated enzyme was not due to that(testing for pheno barb was also done).she was also put on 100mg zentonil advanced (1x/day).a week after antibiotic was finished she had more blood work done--the alt had gone from 195 to 95 and the white blood cell count had gone down but not in the normal range(but near to).continued with the zentonil--her appetite had returned and she was now on better food.two weeks after this blood test took her in for another blood test---only her enzyme levels were checked.however,the alt had gone back up to 135.now told to wait a month to "see what happens" and take her in again for more blood work.she has gained 9 ounces in the two weeks between the two blood tests.i am wondering what could be going on and what the chances are that things will return to normal in the next month.

Hi and thanks for your question.

It sounds like your vet has been very thorough.

There are a number of reasons for an increase in ALT in a cat and often it is hard to determine why.

I think your vet's approach to the slightly increased ALT is good. An ALT level of 135 is really only slightly above the normal level. Personally, I don't get terribly worried until I see an ALT of greater than 300. (However, a slight ALT combined with the symptoms of not eating well would make me want to do additional tests on the liver.)

as Fluffy is improving and gaining weight I think it is a good plan to wait and see how things go and then retest the ALT after a month.

Do you know if your vet has done pre and post prandial bile acids? These blood tests can often tell us if there is a problem with liver function. If these tests are normal then usually this tells us that we don't need to be too worried about the liver.

Some cats will have an increase in ALT because of mild pancreatitis or inflammatory bowel disease, or even possibly hyperthryoidism. Most likely your vet has checked for these as well.

It sounds like you and your vet are on the right track.

I hope things continue to improve.

Lump with open sores. Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds... (27285 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (33482 views)

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (10524 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (15292 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (13285 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (38927 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (72018 views)

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (7986 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (8918 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (9116 views)