Where is dog's vulva?

Breed: Blue Tick
My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by
2 coyotes. The dog has been there for awhile
because she was so thin and tired. She kind of looks like the runt of a liter. We took her to the vet and got her checked out. My question is-we think she is in heat. She is bleeding from her rectum and the rectum look to be really swollen is that normal? We have
never had a girl dog and do not know what to
expect. As you can tell my husband is a rock and roll nut-we have had dogs named Jerry Lee,Elvis and Pricilla, Satchmo and now Aretha HA!.
Thank you for your time.
Cheryl and Aretha

The first thing we need to figure out is where the blood is coming from. At the back of the dog you'll see two parts of anatomy, the anus and the vulva. (The rectum is further in the dog, behind the anus. The vagina is further in behind the vulva.)

I've drawn a picture for you to help figure out which orifice is bleeding:

dog's anus and vulva

If it is the vulva that is swollen and bleeding then likely she is in heat. This will last for 2-3 weeks and then the swelling should go down. You will likely want to spay her, but you'll need to wait until several weeks after her heat is done.

If the bleeding is coming from the anus, then this is not normal. Depending on where the blood is coming from in this area it could mean an anal sac abscess, severe gastrointestinal issues or a bleeding disorder. So, if there really is blood coming from the anus then you should have your vet check her!

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (10192 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (46966 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (28361 views)

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (10034 views)

Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy. Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks... (9925 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6980 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (12017 views)

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (7492 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (15238 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (8390 views)