Where is dog's vulva?

Breed: Blue Tick
My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by
2 coyotes. The dog has been there for awhile
because she was so thin and tired. She kind of looks like the runt of a liter. We took her to the vet and got her checked out. My question is-we think she is in heat. She is bleeding from her rectum and the rectum look to be really swollen is that normal? We have
never had a girl dog and do not know what to
expect. As you can tell my husband is a rock and roll nut-we have had dogs named Jerry Lee,Elvis and Pricilla, Satchmo and now Aretha HA!.
Thank you for your time.
Cheryl and Aretha

The first thing we need to figure out is where the blood is coming from. At the back of the dog you'll see two parts of anatomy, the anus and the vulva. (The rectum is further in the dog, behind the anus. The vagina is further in behind the vulva.)

I've drawn a picture for you to help figure out which orifice is bleeding:

dog's anus and vulva

If it is the vulva that is swollen and bleeding then likely she is in heat. This will last for 2-3 weeks and then the swelling should go down. You will likely want to spay her, but you'll need to wait until several weeks after her heat is done.

If the bleeding is coming from the anus, then this is not normal. Depending on where the blood is coming from in this area it could mean an anal sac abscess, severe gastrointestinal issues or a bleeding disorder. So, if there really is blood coming from the anus then you should have your vet check her!

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (8401 views)

White spot on eyelid. King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on... (28444 views)

Can dogs drink tea? Can dogs drink tea? I have been told by quite a few people that it helps puppies to... (55283 views)

White urine in guinea pig. My Guinea Pigs urine is a white color (or possibly cloudy). Is this something we... (45670 views)

Shih Tzu not eating. He stopped eating 6 days ago. Yesterday the vet said temperature, fecal, urine,... (31777 views)

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (10577 views)

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (7853 views)

Swollen face after fight. My miniature pinscher was attacked by a boxer a few days ago. Her wounds have... (12350 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (93234 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (18200 views)