Where is dog's vulva?

Breed: Blue Tick
My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by
2 coyotes. The dog has been there for awhile
because she was so thin and tired. She kind of looks like the runt of a liter. We took her to the vet and got her checked out. My question is-we think she is in heat. She is bleeding from her rectum and the rectum look to be really swollen is that normal? We have
never had a girl dog and do not know what to
expect. As you can tell my husband is a rock and roll nut-we have had dogs named Jerry Lee,Elvis and Pricilla, Satchmo and now Aretha HA!.
Thank you for your time.
Cheryl and Aretha

The first thing we need to figure out is where the blood is coming from. At the back of the dog you'll see two parts of anatomy, the anus and the vulva. (The rectum is further in the dog, behind the anus. The vagina is further in behind the vulva.)

I've drawn a picture for you to help figure out which orifice is bleeding:

dog's anus and vulva

If it is the vulva that is swollen and bleeding then likely she is in heat. This will last for 2-3 weeks and then the swelling should go down. You will likely want to spay her, but you'll need to wait until several weeks after her heat is done.

If the bleeding is coming from the anus, then this is not normal. Depending on where the blood is coming from in this area it could mean an anal sac abscess, severe gastrointestinal issues or a bleeding disorder. So, if there really is blood coming from the anus then you should have your vet check her!

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (10449 views)

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (7999 views)

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (29067 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (37208 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (14275 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (12841 views)

Puppy has 6-8 bowel movements per day. My 7 month old dog has 6 - 8 bowel movements per day. Most are well formed, some... (18551 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (54679 views)

Licking at private parts. I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food... (13955 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (15489 views)