Where is dog's vulva?

Breed: Blue Tick
My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by
2 coyotes. The dog has been there for awhile
because she was so thin and tired. She kind of looks like the runt of a liter. We took her to the vet and got her checked out. My question is-we think she is in heat. She is bleeding from her rectum and the rectum look to be really swollen is that normal? We have
never had a girl dog and do not know what to
expect. As you can tell my husband is a rock and roll nut-we have had dogs named Jerry Lee,Elvis and Pricilla, Satchmo and now Aretha HA!.
Thank you for your time.
Cheryl and Aretha

The first thing we need to figure out is where the blood is coming from. At the back of the dog you'll see two parts of anatomy, the anus and the vulva. (The rectum is further in the dog, behind the anus. The vagina is further in behind the vulva.)

I've drawn a picture for you to help figure out which orifice is bleeding:

dog's anus and vulva

If it is the vulva that is swollen and bleeding then likely she is in heat. This will last for 2-3 weeks and then the swelling should go down. You will likely want to spay her, but you'll need to wait until several weeks after her heat is done.

If the bleeding is coming from the anus, then this is not normal. Depending on where the blood is coming from in this area it could mean an anal sac abscess, severe gastrointestinal issues or a bleeding disorder. So, if there really is blood coming from the anus then you should have your vet check her!

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (28077 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (8834 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (19711 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (10939 views)

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (11008 views)

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (82941 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (8633 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (9426 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (11392 views)

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (19633 views)