Floppy ear in German Shepherd.

Breed: GERMAN SHEPHERD
Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines. My dog rock just turned 7 months. His left ear is floppy and his right ear stays erect with floppy tips. His left inner ear is currently braced with dr scholls moleskin and sergical glue. For extra calcium i add a teaspoon of plain yogurt to his meals twice a day. I also add vitamin c in the mornings to his meal. My question is when is it to late for a german shepherds ear to stand. At what age do they stop to develop. Also i read online that i can take him to a dr so he can get a calcium injection in his ears. What do you recommend ?? Some people say if the ear is not up by 8 months it will never go up and some say it will go up. Both ears are large and soft. thanks for your time

Thanks for your question.

This is a controversial subject. You will hear many different opinions on things that you should or should not do to get a dog's ears to stand and the truth is that no one knows for sure what is the best thing to do.

In general, I tell my clients that if the dog's ear is not up by 6 months then it is not likely to stand which means that Rock's ear may not ever stand up.

There is no evidence at all that calcium or vitamin C would help. I really can't see how they would. You will definitely have people who claim that they did help saying things like, "My dog's ears were floppy. I gave him vitamin C for two weeks and then they finally stood up." But who's to say that they wouldn't have stood on their own? I find that most floppy dog ears are like that...they can just decide to stand on their own even if you do nothing.

The taping is something that *may* help. It is important that the taping job is done by someone who has experience with taping. There's no harm in taping but again, no one has proven whether it actually works or not. My guess, however is that by this age the taping may not work.

I personally love the look of a floppy eared German Shepherd, especially if just one ear is floppy, but I can understand having a preference for straight ears.

Just an update on rocks ear. His ears are both straight up and look really good. The mole skin on the inner ear shaped the dogs ear really good. This method worked for me and my buddy had the same issue and the moleskin worked wonders.

The ears stood at 8 months old

Good to know. Thanks for the update.

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (20673 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (5799 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (11957 views)

Paralyzed dog. O.K, here is the deal. Our dog Sadie was diagnosed with a ruptured disc (L2) I... (46149 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (26990 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (26375 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (33010 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (6930 views)

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (23575 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (20847 views)