Floppy ear in German Shepherd.

Breed: GERMAN SHEPHERD
Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines. My dog rock just turned 7 months. His left ear is floppy and his right ear stays erect with floppy tips. His left inner ear is currently braced with dr scholls moleskin and sergical glue. For extra calcium i add a teaspoon of plain yogurt to his meals twice a day. I also add vitamin c in the mornings to his meal. My question is when is it to late for a german shepherds ear to stand. At what age do they stop to develop. Also i read online that i can take him to a dr so he can get a calcium injection in his ears. What do you recommend ?? Some people say if the ear is not up by 8 months it will never go up and some say it will go up. Both ears are large and soft. thanks for your time

Thanks for your question.

This is a controversial subject. You will hear many different opinions on things that you should or should not do to get a dog's ears to stand and the truth is that no one knows for sure what is the best thing to do.

In general, I tell my clients that if the dog's ear is not up by 6 months then it is not likely to stand which means that Rock's ear may not ever stand up.

There is no evidence at all that calcium or vitamin C would help. I really can't see how they would. You will definitely have people who claim that they did help saying things like, "My dog's ears were floppy. I gave him vitamin C for two weeks and then they finally stood up." But who's to say that they wouldn't have stood on their own? I find that most floppy dog ears are like that...they can just decide to stand on their own even if you do nothing.

The taping is something that *may* help. It is important that the taping job is done by someone who has experience with taping. There's no harm in taping but again, no one has proven whether it actually works or not. My guess, however is that by this age the taping may not work.

I personally love the look of a floppy eared German Shepherd, especially if just one ear is floppy, but I can understand having a preference for straight ears.

Just an update on rocks ear. His ears are both straight up and look really good. The mole skin on the inner ear shaped the dogs ear really good. This method worked for me and my buddy had the same issue and the moleskin worked wonders.

The ears stood at 8 months old

Good to know. Thanks for the update.

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (21121 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (24851 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (26889 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (64035 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (84972 views)

Extreme chattering. Hello my senior dog/male neutered/mutt (not sure how old..in the teens) has a... (19460 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (13641 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (29737 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (32917 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (14571 views)