Black scab on anus

Breed: Cat breed?
Good day Dr. Marie,
I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog with possibly a similar condition. My two year young out/in door male kat, Spooky (Spaz would have been a good name for him also), has had what looks like a black scab on part of his rectal sphincter for at least several weeks now (that I have noticed). He doesn't scoot across the carpet on his backside. Any ideas? If worm(s), what is the best Rx, and how often should he be treated? If not worms, should an outdoor cat still be periodically dewormed? How often? Thank you for your time, Tom Preston, Respiratory Practitioner

Hi Tom. Is there any way you could get a picture of Spooky's anal area for me? While I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, a photo can help me on how to advise you.

I often will see cats that have a little black dot over each of their anal ducts and this might be what you are seeing.

This doesn't sound like a parasite issue. I do recommend regular deworming if he is outdoors, especially if he hunts mice. However, what you are seeing is very unlikely to be related to parasites.

If this was an anal sac impaction or infection it really should be bothering him.

If you are able to get a photo you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com and I'll see if I can comment some more!

Dr. Marie,
Ducts? Really? Why did God give Spooky more than one?

Spooky is shy. Where is the other? Tom

P.S. How do I spell relief? Dog Romeo. Mike alpha romeo india echo

XO

Sometimes a picture is better than words. I drew you a picture of what I am trying to describe:

anal sac ducts

Where the two tiny ducts empty from the anal sac (anal glands) there can often be a little black spot. Sometimes it is only seen on one side.

If this is what you are seeing then there is nothing to worry about.

Ontario? It's 5:30 p.m. Pacific Standard Time. What a company girl! Time to call it a day. Tell your boss I said so.

:)

This website is *my* baby. I mostly spend time on it when I am away from work. This is my busy time on the site!

Well, your baby is financial genius. Number 1 on Google Search. Good for you. I wonder if I could do this? I'm a hospital whistle blower, one year out of school (2002). I have tried everything I can think of inside and outside of medicine, and have been out of work since. I'd gladly wash dishes or scrub toilets, but I'm told I am under qualified, over qualified (49 years young)...

I can't give you a tip, other than Jackie Evancko. My parents and I saw her concert on P.B.S. last week. We cried through it. She is the voice of God, and is 10 years young. She sang a duet with Streisand's recording of Somewhere (West Side Story), that made Barbara sound average. She also sings a duet with Susan Boyle. I haven't heard that one.

Her selections on her album, Dream With Me, cover show tunes, opera, classical, pop... David Foster (Grammy Award winner 16 times, 3 for Producer of the Year) said, “I can say without a doubt that working with Jackie on Dream With Me was truly phenomenal. Her natural ability and the depth of her understanding of the musical process left me speechless. I think we have created a musical experience that will thrill audiences of every age. She was a pure joy to work with and I had a front row seat to one of the next great talents of our time." Amazon has some clips of her P.B.S. performance. Check them out. You will be amazed.

Her performance on America's Got Talent (they rejected her the first two times, saying she was too young) does not do her justice (in case that is the only internet hit you can find of her). Thanks again for your time, Tom

You're very welcome Tom!

I've worked REALLY hard to get that number one spot---lots and lots of hours spent learning how to do it. It's not a financial genius just yet though. :)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (23741 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (99035 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (10714 views)

14 year old dog with diarrhea and weight loss I have 14 year old pomeranian. for the past 1 month, he is suffering from diarrhoea,... (14984 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (10506 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (3894 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (6421 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (10606 views)

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (8113 views)

Male rabbits mounting. i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and... (33983 views)