Black scab on anus

Breed: Cat breed?
Good day Dr. Marie,
I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog with possibly a similar condition. My two year young out/in door male kat, Spooky (Spaz would have been a good name for him also), has had what looks like a black scab on part of his rectal sphincter for at least several weeks now (that I have noticed). He doesn't scoot across the carpet on his backside. Any ideas? If worm(s), what is the best Rx, and how often should he be treated? If not worms, should an outdoor cat still be periodically dewormed? How often? Thank you for your time, Tom Preston, Respiratory Practitioner

Hi Tom. Is there any way you could get a picture of Spooky's anal area for me? While I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, a photo can help me on how to advise you.

I often will see cats that have a little black dot over each of their anal ducts and this might be what you are seeing.

This doesn't sound like a parasite issue. I do recommend regular deworming if he is outdoors, especially if he hunts mice. However, what you are seeing is very unlikely to be related to parasites.

If this was an anal sac impaction or infection it really should be bothering him.

If you are able to get a photo you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com and I'll see if I can comment some more!

Dr. Marie,
Ducts? Really? Why did God give Spooky more than one?

Spooky is shy. Where is the other? Tom

P.S. How do I spell relief? Dog Romeo. Mike alpha romeo india echo

XO

Sometimes a picture is better than words. I drew you a picture of what I am trying to describe:

anal sac ducts

Where the two tiny ducts empty from the anal sac (anal glands) there can often be a little black spot. Sometimes it is only seen on one side.

If this is what you are seeing then there is nothing to worry about.

Ontario? It's 5:30 p.m. Pacific Standard Time. What a company girl! Time to call it a day. Tell your boss I said so.

:)

This website is *my* baby. I mostly spend time on it when I am away from work. This is my busy time on the site!

Well, your baby is financial genius. Number 1 on Google Search. Good for you. I wonder if I could do this? I'm a hospital whistle blower, one year out of school (2002). I have tried everything I can think of inside and outside of medicine, and have been out of work since. I'd gladly wash dishes or scrub toilets, but I'm told I am under qualified, over qualified (49 years young)...

I can't give you a tip, other than Jackie Evancko. My parents and I saw her concert on P.B.S. last week. We cried through it. She is the voice of God, and is 10 years young. She sang a duet with Streisand's recording of Somewhere (West Side Story), that made Barbara sound average. She also sings a duet with Susan Boyle. I haven't heard that one.

Her selections on her album, Dream With Me, cover show tunes, opera, classical, pop... David Foster (Grammy Award winner 16 times, 3 for Producer of the Year) said, “I can say without a doubt that working with Jackie on Dream With Me was truly phenomenal. Her natural ability and the depth of her understanding of the musical process left me speechless. I think we have created a musical experience that will thrill audiences of every age. She was a pure joy to work with and I had a front row seat to one of the next great talents of our time." Amazon has some clips of her P.B.S. performance. Check them out. You will be amazed.

Her performance on America's Got Talent (they rejected her the first two times, saying she was too young) does not do her justice (in case that is the only internet hit you can find of her). Thanks again for your time, Tom

You're very welcome Tom!

I've worked REALLY hard to get that number one spot---lots and lots of hours spent learning how to do it. It's not a financial genius just yet though. :)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (6554 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (19466 views)

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (21697 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (4249 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (21075 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (9739 views)

Pus filled lump on boxer. Hello, About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's... (3272 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (67242 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (8776 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (14256 views)