Cat died suddenly.

Breed: part maincoone
10-11-2010
Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post: http://www.askavetquestion.com/answer_np-id-717-title-Hello-found-cat-dead-yesterday-morning-under-neighbors-v.htm

except my cat had blood in nose and his left ear when I found him in my next door neighbors yard about one day later after last seeing him alive laying as if he very much comfortably went to sleep and died while asleep. He also had a piece of cardboard covering his face which seemed a bit unusual to me for a cat to fall a sleep covering his face with cardboard.

It's been a mystery to me of what may have happened to him.

One day prior his stomach did seem a bit bloated but I thought he may have just overate as he didn't apear to be sick or in any pain. He did seem to be unusually meowing for more food then he would normally eat that day prior.

For the past week he may have also been drinking more water than usual due to a new electric water bowl purchased for him which is intended to filter the water and add oxygen by circulating the water. I also thought this may have been the cause of his stomach a bit bloated.

Could he have been poisoned or drank too much water from this device or possibly overeaten? He did not appear to have any injuries other than he had blood in his nose and left ear. He did not appear to be sick in any way when I last seen him one day prior.

Under the cardboard which covered his face I did find a good sized black spider but not sure what type of spider.

A total mystery to me.

I would be very thankful if you could provide me with some insight, opinion and or speculation of what may have occurred.

Thank you very much, Melissa

Hi Dr. Marie, I have also forgot to add there is a situation with electromagnetic field pollution near my residence. Do you think this may have been a possible cause in my cats mysterious death?

thanks again, Melissa

Oh, Melissa, I am so sorry to hear that Kat passed away. It must have been very sad to find him like this.

There are a few things that can cause a young cat to die suddenly.

The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a heart problem called HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). This condition does occur in Maine Coon cats sometimes. When a cat has HCM there can often be no symptoms and then one day the heart just fails.

It's possible that the belly was swollen because of heart failure. When the heart fails it causes the liver to swell and then fluid can build up in the abdomen.

If he did die because of heart disease the good news is that it likely was not painful.

The other common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is trauma. However, this doesn't explain the swollen belly the day before.

Another less likely possibility is if your cat ate rat poison. Rat poison can cause bleeding. It is possible that the swollen belly was due to blood in the abdomen.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the cardboard or the spider. I don't think either of these had anything to do with Kat's death.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (28209 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (12491 views)

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (10309 views)

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (13558 views)

Trouble breathing when drinking cold water. My dog Valentino is 16 years old and many times when he drinks water or he is... (11922 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (8518 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (50166 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (16744 views)

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (10221 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (25827 views)