Cat died suddenly.

Breed: part maincoone
10-11-2010
Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post: http://www.askavetquestion.com/answer_np-id-717-title-Hello-found-cat-dead-yesterday-morning-under-neighbors-v.htm

except my cat had blood in nose and his left ear when I found him in my next door neighbors yard about one day later after last seeing him alive laying as if he very much comfortably went to sleep and died while asleep. He also had a piece of cardboard covering his face which seemed a bit unusual to me for a cat to fall a sleep covering his face with cardboard.

It's been a mystery to me of what may have happened to him.

One day prior his stomach did seem a bit bloated but I thought he may have just overate as he didn't apear to be sick or in any pain. He did seem to be unusually meowing for more food then he would normally eat that day prior.

For the past week he may have also been drinking more water than usual due to a new electric water bowl purchased for him which is intended to filter the water and add oxygen by circulating the water. I also thought this may have been the cause of his stomach a bit bloated.

Could he have been poisoned or drank too much water from this device or possibly overeaten? He did not appear to have any injuries other than he had blood in his nose and left ear. He did not appear to be sick in any way when I last seen him one day prior.

Under the cardboard which covered his face I did find a good sized black spider but not sure what type of spider.

A total mystery to me.

I would be very thankful if you could provide me with some insight, opinion and or speculation of what may have occurred.

Thank you very much, Melissa

Hi Dr. Marie, I have also forgot to add there is a situation with electromagnetic field pollution near my residence. Do you think this may have been a possible cause in my cats mysterious death?

thanks again, Melissa

Oh, Melissa, I am so sorry to hear that Kat passed away. It must have been very sad to find him like this.

There are a few things that can cause a young cat to die suddenly.

The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a heart problem called HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). This condition does occur in Maine Coon cats sometimes. When a cat has HCM there can often be no symptoms and then one day the heart just fails.

It's possible that the belly was swollen because of heart failure. When the heart fails it causes the liver to swell and then fluid can build up in the abdomen.

If he did die because of heart disease the good news is that it likely was not painful.

The other common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is trauma. However, this doesn't explain the swollen belly the day before.

Another less likely possibility is if your cat ate rat poison. Rat poison can cause bleeding. It is possible that the swollen belly was due to blood in the abdomen.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the cardboard or the spider. I don't think either of these had anything to do with Kat's death.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Best cloth bedding for guinea pigs. I wanted to make a new bed for my guinea pig's house (her "nest"). Are there any... (9425 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (19715 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (8849 views)

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (16028 views)

Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction? My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. ... (11579 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (6781 views)

Chihuahua with loose teeth. My Chihuahua's teeth are starting to get very loose. She is only two years old,... (13330 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (9679 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (13563 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (78044 views)