Cat died suddenly.

Breed: part maincoone
10-11-2010
Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post: http://www.askavetquestion.com/answer_np-id-717-title-Hello-found-cat-dead-yesterday-morning-under-neighbors-v.htm

except my cat had blood in nose and his left ear when I found him in my next door neighbors yard about one day later after last seeing him alive laying as if he very much comfortably went to sleep and died while asleep. He also had a piece of cardboard covering his face which seemed a bit unusual to me for a cat to fall a sleep covering his face with cardboard.

It's been a mystery to me of what may have happened to him.

One day prior his stomach did seem a bit bloated but I thought he may have just overate as he didn't apear to be sick or in any pain. He did seem to be unusually meowing for more food then he would normally eat that day prior.

For the past week he may have also been drinking more water than usual due to a new electric water bowl purchased for him which is intended to filter the water and add oxygen by circulating the water. I also thought this may have been the cause of his stomach a bit bloated.

Could he have been poisoned or drank too much water from this device or possibly overeaten? He did not appear to have any injuries other than he had blood in his nose and left ear. He did not appear to be sick in any way when I last seen him one day prior.

Under the cardboard which covered his face I did find a good sized black spider but not sure what type of spider.

A total mystery to me.

I would be very thankful if you could provide me with some insight, opinion and or speculation of what may have occurred.

Thank you very much, Melissa

Hi Dr. Marie, I have also forgot to add there is a situation with electromagnetic field pollution near my residence. Do you think this may have been a possible cause in my cats mysterious death?

thanks again, Melissa

Oh, Melissa, I am so sorry to hear that Kat passed away. It must have been very sad to find him like this.

There are a few things that can cause a young cat to die suddenly.

The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a heart problem called HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). This condition does occur in Maine Coon cats sometimes. When a cat has HCM there can often be no symptoms and then one day the heart just fails.

It's possible that the belly was swollen because of heart failure. When the heart fails it causes the liver to swell and then fluid can build up in the abdomen.

If he did die because of heart disease the good news is that it likely was not painful.

The other common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is trauma. However, this doesn't explain the swollen belly the day before.

Another less likely possibility is if your cat ate rat poison. Rat poison can cause bleeding. It is possible that the swollen belly was due to blood in the abdomen.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the cardboard or the spider. I don't think either of these had anything to do with Kat's death.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (12296 views)

Dime sized sore above eye. Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide... (16200 views)

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (8669 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (18291 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (10893 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (27399 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (13780 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (14385 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (3799 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (21754 views)