Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Cat died suddenly.

Species: Dog
Breed: part maincoone
Age: 1-2 years
10-11-2010
Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post: http://www.askavetquestion.com/answer_np-id-717-title-Hello-found-cat-dead-yesterday-morning-under-neighbors-v.htm

except my cat had blood in nose and his left ear when I found him in my next door neighbors yard about one day later after last seeing him alive laying as if he very much comfortably went to sleep and died while asleep. He also had a piece of cardboard covering his face which seemed a bit unusual to me for a cat to fall a sleep covering his face with cardboard.

It's been a mystery to me of what may have happened to him.

One day prior his stomach did seem a bit bloated but I thought he may have just overate as he didn't apear to be sick or in any pain. He did seem to be unusually meowing for more food then he would normally eat that day prior.

For the past week he may have also been drinking more water than usual due to a new electric water bowl purchased for him which is intended to filter the water and add oxygen by circulating the water. I also thought this may have been the cause of his stomach a bit bloated.

Could he have been poisoned or drank too much water from this device or possibly overeaten? He did not appear to have any injuries other than he had blood in his nose and left ear. He did not appear to be sick in any way when I last seen him one day prior.

Under the cardboard which covered his face I did find a good sized black spider but not sure what type of spider.

A total mystery to me.

I would be very thankful if you could provide me with some insight, opinion and or speculation of what may have occurred.

Thank you very much, Melissa


Customer reply:

Hi Dr. Marie, I have also forgot to add there is a situation with electromagnetic field pollution near my residence. Do you think this may have been a possible cause in my cats mysterious death?

thanks again, Melissa


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, Melissa, I am so sorry to hear that Kat passed away. It must have been very sad to find him like this.

There are a few things that can cause a young cat to die suddenly.

The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a heart problem called HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). This condition does occur in Maine Coon cats sometimes. When a cat has HCM there can often be no symptoms and then one day the heart just fails.

It's possible that the belly was swollen because of heart failure. When the heart fails it causes the liver to swell and then fluid can build up in the abdomen.

If he did die because of heart disease the good news is that it likely was not painful.

The other common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is trauma. However, this doesn't explain the swollen belly the day before.

Another less likely possibility is if your cat ate rat poison. Rat poison can cause bleeding. It is possible that the swollen belly was due to blood in the abdomen.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the cardboard or the spider. I don't think either of these had anything to do with Kat's death.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (10841 views)

Trouble breathing when drinking cold water. My dog Valentino is 16 years old and many times when he drinks water or he is... (11614 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (25317 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (13365 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (11136 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (27222 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (33362 views)

Cloudy eye after an infection hi my dog steve is 8 months old hes a pureb german shepherd, within the last 8weeks... (11222 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (7390 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (12255 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.