Anal sac problems.

Breed: Shih-tzt
When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took her for a walk and no blood in her stol. I took a wash cloth and cleaned her I noticed on the left side next to her anus pink reddish skin I plan to take her to the vet tomorrow mornig but, I'm wondering if it is her anus sacs are filled stuff I found online I can't spend a ton of money at the vet what will the vet actually do I'm really worried about my dog I love her very much.

She seems to be fine acting normal.

It does sound like Bella may have either an anal sac abscess or an infection in the sacs.

There are a few different ways that these can be treated. In the past, I used to recommend surgery every time I saw these. However, I often can treat a dog quite well without surgery.

What I usually do is have one of my technicians hold and calm the dog and then I gently put a finger into the anus and see if I can express anything out of the sac. Sometimes, if this is an abscess we can empty out a lot of the debris inside which really speeds up the healing process.

I usually put the dog on antibiotics as well as pain medications. (Even if she is not acting in pain, we know that these things are painful.)

Some vets will treat these by infusing a solution into the anal gland. I will do this sometimes, but usually I find the conservative treatment works.

Unfortunately there isn't anything I would recommend giving her tonight for pain. If we give her something like aspirin tonight it may interfere with any medication that your vet wants to give in the morning.

If she allows it, she may get some relief from placing a warm cloth over the area for a few minutes a couple of times tonight.

I hope everything goes ok!

Dr. Marie,

Thank you. I will place a warm cloth over the are for sure. DO you know how much it may cost me I'm planning $200 but I do not know. My vet tends to be expensive. What causes the this to happen?

Thank you

Clarissa

In my office you would end up paying about $150-$200 so I think you are on track.

We really don't know why these happen. Some dogs will have their anal glands fill up with debris quite often, so sometimes having the vet empty them every couple of months will make a difference. But then I have seen dogs that get an anal sac abscess with no warning whatsoever.

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (238826 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (6053 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (16685 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (17138 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (14524 views)

Information on parvo virus. Hello dr., I am a senior in high school doing a senior project and my topic... (17897 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (11067 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (8803 views)

Eye closed in hamster. My hamster has one eye closed all the time. There are no other hamsters living with... (30980 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (11813 views)