Anal sac problems.

Breed: Shih-tzt
When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took her for a walk and no blood in her stol. I took a wash cloth and cleaned her I noticed on the left side next to her anus pink reddish skin I plan to take her to the vet tomorrow mornig but, I'm wondering if it is her anus sacs are filled stuff I found online I can't spend a ton of money at the vet what will the vet actually do I'm really worried about my dog I love her very much.

She seems to be fine acting normal.

It does sound like Bella may have either an anal sac abscess or an infection in the sacs.

There are a few different ways that these can be treated. In the past, I used to recommend surgery every time I saw these. However, I often can treat a dog quite well without surgery.

What I usually do is have one of my technicians hold and calm the dog and then I gently put a finger into the anus and see if I can express anything out of the sac. Sometimes, if this is an abscess we can empty out a lot of the debris inside which really speeds up the healing process.

I usually put the dog on antibiotics as well as pain medications. (Even if she is not acting in pain, we know that these things are painful.)

Some vets will treat these by infusing a solution into the anal gland. I will do this sometimes, but usually I find the conservative treatment works.

Unfortunately there isn't anything I would recommend giving her tonight for pain. If we give her something like aspirin tonight it may interfere with any medication that your vet wants to give in the morning.

If she allows it, she may get some relief from placing a warm cloth over the area for a few minutes a couple of times tonight.

I hope everything goes ok!

Dr. Marie,

Thank you. I will place a warm cloth over the are for sure. DO you know how much it may cost me I'm planning $200 but I do not know. My vet tends to be expensive. What causes the this to happen?

Thank you

Clarissa

In my office you would end up paying about $150-$200 so I think you are on track.

We really don't know why these happen. Some dogs will have their anal glands fill up with debris quite often, so sometimes having the vet empty them every couple of months will make a difference. But then I have seen dogs that get an anal sac abscess with no warning whatsoever.

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (23743 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (32901 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (10050 views)

Dog ate mouldy treats. My labs get milkbone treats twice a day...I just noticed they have mold on them.... (10109 views)

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (11131 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (6163 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (9801 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (5211 views)

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (9465 views)

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (5845 views)