Anal sac problems.

Breed: Shih-tzt
When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took her for a walk and no blood in her stol. I took a wash cloth and cleaned her I noticed on the left side next to her anus pink reddish skin I plan to take her to the vet tomorrow mornig but, I'm wondering if it is her anus sacs are filled stuff I found online I can't spend a ton of money at the vet what will the vet actually do I'm really worried about my dog I love her very much.

She seems to be fine acting normal.

It does sound like Bella may have either an anal sac abscess or an infection in the sacs.

There are a few different ways that these can be treated. In the past, I used to recommend surgery every time I saw these. However, I often can treat a dog quite well without surgery.

What I usually do is have one of my technicians hold and calm the dog and then I gently put a finger into the anus and see if I can express anything out of the sac. Sometimes, if this is an abscess we can empty out a lot of the debris inside which really speeds up the healing process.

I usually put the dog on antibiotics as well as pain medications. (Even if she is not acting in pain, we know that these things are painful.)

Some vets will treat these by infusing a solution into the anal gland. I will do this sometimes, but usually I find the conservative treatment works.

Unfortunately there isn't anything I would recommend giving her tonight for pain. If we give her something like aspirin tonight it may interfere with any medication that your vet wants to give in the morning.

If she allows it, she may get some relief from placing a warm cloth over the area for a few minutes a couple of times tonight.

I hope everything goes ok!

Dr. Marie,

Thank you. I will place a warm cloth over the are for sure. DO you know how much it may cost me I'm planning $200 but I do not know. My vet tends to be expensive. What causes the this to happen?

Thank you

Clarissa

In my office you would end up paying about $150-$200 so I think you are on track.

We really don't know why these happen. Some dogs will have their anal glands fill up with debris quite often, so sometimes having the vet empty them every couple of months will make a difference. But then I have seen dogs that get an anal sac abscess with no warning whatsoever.

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (8320 views)

Indestructible dog toys. Hi Dr, Fortunately I'm not writing about an illness. Since his neutering Max... (11618 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (12387 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (6108 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (10401 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (8266 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (14056 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (9687 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (19127 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (7602 views)