Medication for aggressive dog?

Breed: White shepherd/lab m
Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At the time, he had already had two homes and been returned to the shelter from both, but we were told it was just that he was too large and active. We now are sure that it was because of his aggression. Denver loves us and our other dog. He can be very affectionate (although he never cuddles with us or typically keeps to himself) and he loves to play with us and go for walks and car rides. Despite the fact that he clearly loves us, our friends, and family and seems like a very happy dog, Denver can unpredictably be very aggressive.

His aggression has decreased dramatically since we got him, but it is still definitely there. When we first got him, if we walked into a room straight toward him, he would run out and jump up and bite us. When he bit though, he did not chomp down as hard as he could. It was almost more of a frantic barking and snapping at us. Now, attempting to bite is more rare, but he still does at times. More often he growls as if he would bite, but stops and puts himself in his "time-out" spot. It happens most often when we walk past his dog bed or approach him when he is under a table or behind a couch. We also know that if we tried to reach down and pet him unexpectedly, he would probably take our hand off. We have noticed a recent increase in aggressive behavior and the only change in his routine that we can think of us is that he has had a little less outdoor activity. He is very friendly and sweet with people he knows, but whenever a new man comes to the door, he growls and tries to bite him. He has no problem with women though. Occasionally, he will growl when he thinks someone is going to take his toy or bone, but that is not common for him. We have tried training him ourselves using treats, spraying water, and "time-outs". It wasn't that we were lazy or didn't want to spend money on training-we were terrified to bring him anywhere. Training him has definitely made a huge difference, but we are still worried about him biting someone. Especially since a few times he has just freaked out and tried to bite for no reason at all. We are wondering if he might have a chemical imbalance or anxiety disorder and if he might benefit from medication. Does it sound to you like he might have some sort of medical problem? Thanks!

Thanks for your question! And thank you for adopting Denver. It is often difficult to rehome dogs with behavioral problems, so without kind people like you dogs like Denver would often be euthanized.

I have a few thoughts on Denver's situation. First of all, is he neutered? If not, then neutering him will make a drastic difference in his aggressive behavior.

You have touched on a key factor in dogs with aggression problems - exercise. Usually increasing exercise will make a great improvement in bad behavior. I have some clients who take their dogs to "doggie daycare" twice a week where the dogs get to run themselves ragged and get rid of excess energy. This has really helped with behavioral issues.

A personal trainer may be able to help with specific training for the type of aggression that Denver has. I do sometimes set up programs for my clients to teach them what to do in particular situations when dealing with aggression, but it is really more than I can get into over the internet. Usually I will talk for 1 - 2 hours with my clients when this type of issue is being dealt with.

However, to answer your more specific question, yes, there is a good possibility that Denver could benefit from medication. If this were my case I would likely be talking to you about using a drug called Clomicalm or possibly Prozac. Medication works best when used along with training as well. To get some medication you would need to set up a consult with your veterinarian. I think it is definitely worthwhile!

I hope this helps!

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (7171 views)

Thyroid cancer? Hello, about 10 months ago my dog started heavily panting while playing with her... (9973 views)

Puppy has soft stools. Background: Junior is a rescue. My first dog ever. I got him about 1 month ago,... (6524 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (57360 views)

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (5889 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (4693 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (35022 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (43222 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (61508 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (8761 views)