Pitbull with rash

Breed: Pitbull
Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he would only breakout two times a year. He has been broken out with this rash since January. I was talking with my neighbors the other day and all of them who have dogs are broken out with the same rash. Only the neighbors on my side of the street even ones a mile away. None of the dogs on the other side have this problem. My son came for a visit the other with his new dog and now he has this problem. What do you think could be the problem. My vet has given up. Should go to another vet.

This sounds like a frustrating problem!

There are only a few conditions that can cause a rash that are contagious to other dogs. First of all, you can ask your vet about a condition called sarcoptic mange. This is a skin mite that is contagious from dog to dog. It usually causes extreme itchiness on the backs of the elbows, hocks and ears, but can affect other parts of the body as well.

Another possibility is fleas. Some dogs can be so allergic to fleas that even one flea bite can set them off with itchiness. The most common areas to see affected skin if this is the case is over the base of the tail (where it joins the body) and the back of the neck.

I have seen some pitties that have severe allergies. Any time I see a pitbull with skin issues I talk about allergies. But, this would not be contagious to other dogs.

Another possibility that is contagious is ringworm which is actually a fungal infection. The way this would be diagnosed would be by sending samples of plucked hairs to the lab to see if there is fungus there.

If this were my case and all of the above conditions were ruled out then I would be recommending a skin biopsy which usually gives us an answer.

I hope this helps!

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (10320 views)

Back leg shaking. My aging Pit bull terrier's back leg shakes like he has Parkinson's disease. Back... (8034 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (9972 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (7132 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (10951 views)

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (9979 views)

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (13241 views)

Big belly in stray cat. Hello, One day a stray cat showed up at our Home, We could tell she was expecting.... (23227 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (11287 views)

Lump on hamster's toe. Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my... (16196 views)