Pitbull with rash

Breed: Pitbull
Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he would only breakout two times a year. He has been broken out with this rash since January. I was talking with my neighbors the other day and all of them who have dogs are broken out with the same rash. Only the neighbors on my side of the street even ones a mile away. None of the dogs on the other side have this problem. My son came for a visit the other with his new dog and now he has this problem. What do you think could be the problem. My vet has given up. Should go to another vet.

This sounds like a frustrating problem!

There are only a few conditions that can cause a rash that are contagious to other dogs. First of all, you can ask your vet about a condition called sarcoptic mange. This is a skin mite that is contagious from dog to dog. It usually causes extreme itchiness on the backs of the elbows, hocks and ears, but can affect other parts of the body as well.

Another possibility is fleas. Some dogs can be so allergic to fleas that even one flea bite can set them off with itchiness. The most common areas to see affected skin if this is the case is over the base of the tail (where it joins the body) and the back of the neck.

I have seen some pitties that have severe allergies. Any time I see a pitbull with skin issues I talk about allergies. But, this would not be contagious to other dogs.

Another possibility that is contagious is ringworm which is actually a fungal infection. The way this would be diagnosed would be by sending samples of plucked hairs to the lab to see if there is fungus there.

If this were my case and all of the above conditions were ruled out then I would be recommending a skin biopsy which usually gives us an answer.

I hope this helps!

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (10958 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (7090 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (19158 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (7344 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (15078 views)

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (7284 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (38688 views)

How long does a dog stay in heat? How long does she stay in heat? and how often? thanks have a blessed... (8645 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (8855 views)

Praziquantal safe in pregnancy? She has been wormed and I also have wormer I do every six months but recently I have... (9200 views)