Pitbull with rash

Breed: Pitbull
Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he would only breakout two times a year. He has been broken out with this rash since January. I was talking with my neighbors the other day and all of them who have dogs are broken out with the same rash. Only the neighbors on my side of the street even ones a mile away. None of the dogs on the other side have this problem. My son came for a visit the other with his new dog and now he has this problem. What do you think could be the problem. My vet has given up. Should go to another vet.

This sounds like a frustrating problem!

There are only a few conditions that can cause a rash that are contagious to other dogs. First of all, you can ask your vet about a condition called sarcoptic mange. This is a skin mite that is contagious from dog to dog. It usually causes extreme itchiness on the backs of the elbows, hocks and ears, but can affect other parts of the body as well.

Another possibility is fleas. Some dogs can be so allergic to fleas that even one flea bite can set them off with itchiness. The most common areas to see affected skin if this is the case is over the base of the tail (where it joins the body) and the back of the neck.

I have seen some pitties that have severe allergies. Any time I see a pitbull with skin issues I talk about allergies. But, this would not be contagious to other dogs.

Another possibility that is contagious is ringworm which is actually a fungal infection. The way this would be diagnosed would be by sending samples of plucked hairs to the lab to see if there is fungus there.

If this were my case and all of the above conditions were ruled out then I would be recommending a skin biopsy which usually gives us an answer.

I hope this helps!

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (6070 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (11303 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (9505 views)

Blue lump on dog's belly. Around Christmas, I noticed a blue-tinted bump, about 3 mm in diameter, on my dog's... (23547 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (12719 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7572 views)

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (14067 views)

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (9510 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (8591 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (8303 views)