Pitbull with rash

Breed: Pitbull
Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he would only breakout two times a year. He has been broken out with this rash since January. I was talking with my neighbors the other day and all of them who have dogs are broken out with the same rash. Only the neighbors on my side of the street even ones a mile away. None of the dogs on the other side have this problem. My son came for a visit the other with his new dog and now he has this problem. What do you think could be the problem. My vet has given up. Should go to another vet.

This sounds like a frustrating problem!

There are only a few conditions that can cause a rash that are contagious to other dogs. First of all, you can ask your vet about a condition called sarcoptic mange. This is a skin mite that is contagious from dog to dog. It usually causes extreme itchiness on the backs of the elbows, hocks and ears, but can affect other parts of the body as well.

Another possibility is fleas. Some dogs can be so allergic to fleas that even one flea bite can set them off with itchiness. The most common areas to see affected skin if this is the case is over the base of the tail (where it joins the body) and the back of the neck.

I have seen some pitties that have severe allergies. Any time I see a pitbull with skin issues I talk about allergies. But, this would not be contagious to other dogs.

Another possibility that is contagious is ringworm which is actually a fungal infection. The way this would be diagnosed would be by sending samples of plucked hairs to the lab to see if there is fungus there.

If this were my case and all of the above conditions were ruled out then I would be recommending a skin biopsy which usually gives us an answer.

I hope this helps!

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (61768 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (7535 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (4043 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (33867 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (14255 views)

Puppy vomiting at night. My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to... (38413 views)

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (8726 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (8341 views)

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (13439 views)

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (5348 views)