Sick kitten.

Breed: GREY TABBY
Kitty is 13 weeks old, has had diarehha off and on for 9 days, also another sibling, but the one is under control and gaining wt.
Kittens took canned milk when started weaning mom, [ had her spayed at 10 wks. post birth]. They did fine on it, then started kitten dry food and they did well. Occassionally canned food, then they started getting into and eating the adult dry food, and that is when I notced the 2 kittens having problems. I stoped the milk, and it didn't make a difference, they gave them Plantaeris, and the one kitty got over it...I had to go out of town for 5 days, and upon returning the one cat is so skinney. Butt is clean with no signs of diarehhea. I gave all the cats some canned cat food today, and the sick one ate a little. I have given her some of that kitten nutrient gel that adds wt. and has vit etc/ I had to water it down as it is so thick, and she will not eat it on her own. I gave it to her wth a syringe.....Please advise as what to fed her to gain weight and not give diarhhea...oily tuna? mackeral , what about goats milk ? Thanks.......

Oh the poor little girl. I'm a little bit concerned by what you are describing with Kitty. There may be a medical issue with her.

By far the best thing I can advise you to do is to have a vet examine her and also examine a stool sample from her to look for parasites. It's possible that she has an intestinal parasite.

It won't hurt to treat her with an over the counter dewormer that you can buy at the pet store (as long as the label says it is safe for kittens her age). But, there are other parasites that need prescription medications that the vet would have to give you. Some examples of parasites like this are giardia or coccidia.

It's also possible that she has a serious medical problem such as a liver shunt or another problem with her organs. Unfortunately if this is the case then she may not get better.

As far as food goes, the best thing you can do is choose a good quality kitten food (either canned or dry) and stick to it. Changes in food can contribute to diarrhea. Most likely, the diarrhea is not at all because of the food, so there is no need to try something different.

The nutrient gel may help to get some calories and nutrients in to her, but be sure not to overdo it. As far as tuna, mackeral or goat's milk, none of these are a good idea. They could make the diarrhea worse.

Is she getting any regular cow's milk at all? If so, then this could cause some diarrhea.

I'm really concerned by the fact that this girl is so skinny. I'm afraid that she may have a serious issue. Hopefully she can see a vet soon!

No cow milk at all..no canned milk for about 2 weeks.
I will isolate her tonight and try to get a stool sample...I was thinking a trip to the vet too. Thanks..

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (21142 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (5673 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (14872 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (92342 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (14565 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (24562 views)

Red sores in front of cat's ear. Hi Dr. Haynes Thank you for offering this service and reviewing my question. My... (46330 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (24912 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (24465 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (7073 views)