Need spanish to be a vet?

Breed: Tabby
I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you speak spanish. If you do, then what are the advantages of speaking spanish at your job, if not then what are the disadvantages? Thank you so much for answering my question. This question is very important to me.

Hi Jessica and thanks for an interesting question.

I don't personally speak spanish but I work in Canada and there are very few spanish speaking people here. I do work in a part of Canada where there are a lot of french speaking people, and I really wish I spoke french. However, most of my french clients know enough english to communicate with me, and if not, I have staff who can translate.

Whether or not you speak spanish really depends on the area in which you are working and how many spanish speaking clients you have.

If you do work in an area with a lot of spanish speaking clients it is definitely a benefit to you to have this skill! While a non-spanish vet can always get a translator it is very difficult to translate medical terms. I remember telling one of my french speaking receptionists to translate, "I am now going to do a rectal exam", and they couldn't do it so that the client understood!

I hope that information helps, but let me know if you need more specific info.

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (11484 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (10526 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (10337 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (10842 views)

Tapazole not working. Miss Kitty who is spayed and about 13 yrs old (we rescued her) was recently... (7908 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (15349 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (20958 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (9438 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (12461 views)

1 month puppy can't poop. She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving... (13223 views)