Need spanish to be a vet?

Breed: Tabby
I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you speak spanish. If you do, then what are the advantages of speaking spanish at your job, if not then what are the disadvantages? Thank you so much for answering my question. This question is very important to me.

Hi Jessica and thanks for an interesting question.

I don't personally speak spanish but I work in Canada and there are very few spanish speaking people here. I do work in a part of Canada where there are a lot of french speaking people, and I really wish I spoke french. However, most of my french clients know enough english to communicate with me, and if not, I have staff who can translate.

Whether or not you speak spanish really depends on the area in which you are working and how many spanish speaking clients you have.

If you do work in an area with a lot of spanish speaking clients it is definitely a benefit to you to have this skill! While a non-spanish vet can always get a translator it is very difficult to translate medical terms. I remember telling one of my french speaking receptionists to translate, "I am now going to do a rectal exam", and they couldn't do it so that the client understood!

I hope that information helps, but let me know if you need more specific info.

Puppy walking in circles. Cj ended. Up missing found him at the shelter his ears(normally lay down) are... (14151 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (31629 views)

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (12584 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (17362 views)

Swollen face after fight. My miniature pinscher was attacked by a boxer a few days ago. Her wounds have... (13140 views)

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (23353 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (9755 views)

Rapid breathing while sleeping. I own a white female boxer. She born in oct. 30,2009. I notice when she's sleeping... (15155 views)

vet question Dear Madame Veterinarian: Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've... (11252 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (17589 views)