Need spanish to be a vet?

Breed: Tabby
I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you speak spanish. If you do, then what are the advantages of speaking spanish at your job, if not then what are the disadvantages? Thank you so much for answering my question. This question is very important to me.

Hi Jessica and thanks for an interesting question.

I don't personally speak spanish but I work in Canada and there are very few spanish speaking people here. I do work in a part of Canada where there are a lot of french speaking people, and I really wish I spoke french. However, most of my french clients know enough english to communicate with me, and if not, I have staff who can translate.

Whether or not you speak spanish really depends on the area in which you are working and how many spanish speaking clients you have.

If you do work in an area with a lot of spanish speaking clients it is definitely a benefit to you to have this skill! While a non-spanish vet can always get a translator it is very difficult to translate medical terms. I remember telling one of my french speaking receptionists to translate, "I am now going to do a rectal exam", and they couldn't do it so that the client understood!

I hope that information helps, but let me know if you need more specific info.

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (9818 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (12858 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (91506 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (131141 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (18069 views)

Trifexis overdose? I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his... (31552 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (11534 views)

Lump on puppy's jaw. Hi, My puppy has a lump on her face at the side just below her eye, Its roughly... (14199 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (6913 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (10383 views)