Need spanish to be a vet?

Breed: Tabby
I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you speak spanish. If you do, then what are the advantages of speaking spanish at your job, if not then what are the disadvantages? Thank you so much for answering my question. This question is very important to me.

Hi Jessica and thanks for an interesting question.

I don't personally speak spanish but I work in Canada and there are very few spanish speaking people here. I do work in a part of Canada where there are a lot of french speaking people, and I really wish I spoke french. However, most of my french clients know enough english to communicate with me, and if not, I have staff who can translate.

Whether or not you speak spanish really depends on the area in which you are working and how many spanish speaking clients you have.

If you do work in an area with a lot of spanish speaking clients it is definitely a benefit to you to have this skill! While a non-spanish vet can always get a translator it is very difficult to translate medical terms. I remember telling one of my french speaking receptionists to translate, "I am now going to do a rectal exam", and they couldn't do it so that the client understood!

I hope that information helps, but let me know if you need more specific info.

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (10256 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (35642 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (14909 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (5940 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (73949 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (7930 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (5736 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (6694 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (7406 views)

Swollen feet in older cat. My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have... (17535 views)