Need spanish to be a vet?

Breed: Tabby
I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you speak spanish. If you do, then what are the advantages of speaking spanish at your job, if not then what are the disadvantages? Thank you so much for answering my question. This question is very important to me.

Hi Jessica and thanks for an interesting question.

I don't personally speak spanish but I work in Canada and there are very few spanish speaking people here. I do work in a part of Canada where there are a lot of french speaking people, and I really wish I spoke french. However, most of my french clients know enough english to communicate with me, and if not, I have staff who can translate.

Whether or not you speak spanish really depends on the area in which you are working and how many spanish speaking clients you have.

If you do work in an area with a lot of spanish speaking clients it is definitely a benefit to you to have this skill! While a non-spanish vet can always get a translator it is very difficult to translate medical terms. I remember telling one of my french speaking receptionists to translate, "I am now going to do a rectal exam", and they couldn't do it so that the client understood!

I hope that information helps, but let me know if you need more specific info.

Paraneoplastic syndrome? In 3/2013 after suffering 2 "seizures," Clark was diagnosed with insulinoma from... (4680 views)

Black lumps in a cat's ear. I recently noticed two black spots in one of my cat's ears. They haven't always been... (15687 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (8456 views)

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad. My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this... (60001 views)

Dog inhaled bleach. Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my... (41118 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (10622 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (4792 views)

High LDDS and ALKP Hello Dr. Marie You might remember me and Oreo from past questions? Well, Oreo... (4282 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (11099 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (41211 views)