Need spanish to be a vet?

Breed: Tabby
I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you speak spanish. If you do, then what are the advantages of speaking spanish at your job, if not then what are the disadvantages? Thank you so much for answering my question. This question is very important to me.

Hi Jessica and thanks for an interesting question.

I don't personally speak spanish but I work in Canada and there are very few spanish speaking people here. I do work in a part of Canada where there are a lot of french speaking people, and I really wish I spoke french. However, most of my french clients know enough english to communicate with me, and if not, I have staff who can translate.

Whether or not you speak spanish really depends on the area in which you are working and how many spanish speaking clients you have.

If you do work in an area with a lot of spanish speaking clients it is definitely a benefit to you to have this skill! While a non-spanish vet can always get a translator it is very difficult to translate medical terms. I remember telling one of my french speaking receptionists to translate, "I am now going to do a rectal exam", and they couldn't do it so that the client understood!

I hope that information helps, but let me know if you need more specific info.

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (8549 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (12764 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (12286 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (9872 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (18369 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (26004 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (15771 views)

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (27148 views)

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (13287 views)

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (11399 views)