Need spanish to be a vet?

Breed: Tabby
I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you speak spanish. If you do, then what are the advantages of speaking spanish at your job, if not then what are the disadvantages? Thank you so much for answering my question. This question is very important to me.

Hi Jessica and thanks for an interesting question.

I don't personally speak spanish but I work in Canada and there are very few spanish speaking people here. I do work in a part of Canada where there are a lot of french speaking people, and I really wish I spoke french. However, most of my french clients know enough english to communicate with me, and if not, I have staff who can translate.

Whether or not you speak spanish really depends on the area in which you are working and how many spanish speaking clients you have.

If you do work in an area with a lot of spanish speaking clients it is definitely a benefit to you to have this skill! While a non-spanish vet can always get a translator it is very difficult to translate medical terms. I remember telling one of my french speaking receptionists to translate, "I am now going to do a rectal exam", and they couldn't do it so that the client understood!

I hope that information helps, but let me know if you need more specific info.

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (177313 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (15527 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (8919 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (9424 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (12106 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (4817 views)

Swollen feet in older cat. My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have... (17379 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (13716 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (40634 views)

White urine in guinea pig. My Guinea Pigs urine is a white color (or possibly cloudy). Is this something we... (44122 views)