Puppy with diarrhea

Breed: Australian Shepherd
My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him for a walk at lunch, and I felt some resistance on the leash. When I looked back, he had had diarrhea all over the side walk. There was some substance to it, it was not pure liquid, the color was a typical brown with no noticeable blood or mucus, but definitely not his "norm". I've emailed photos of the stool for reference.

We usually give him some kind of chewing bone in the evening as a treat, and I was wondering if it could be as simple as the raw hide upsetting his stomach? He acts fine. Has tons of energy, and is happy as ever to see us.

I'm obviously worried about him, as he is incredibly precious to me, and I'm afraid I might have freaked myself out with reading the possible causes of puppy diarrhea. I had planned to withhold food, but wanted to know if a vet visit is needed.

He is up to date on his shots, has been dewormed twice, and eats Fromm's puppy food twice a day.

I appreciate your help!

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Sorry to hear that your puppy has diarrhea. The good news is that despite what you read online most cases of diarrhea in puppies are not serious.

Given that your puppy has just had a new treat, this certainly may be the culprit. It's probably not a bad idea to withhold food for 12 hrs to give him a chance to recover.

As long as he is bright and happy I'm not worried. But, if he gets lethargic and seems really unwell then a vet visit is a good idea. I'd also recommend seeing the vet if things get much worse or if he hasn't improved in 48 hours.

One added point. Although many people swear by Fromm I have seen a lot of dogs who seem to get diarrhea when they're fed this food. I think it can be a little too rich for some dogs. I would switch at this point but if this is a regular occurrence a change may be a good idea.

Hope things look up soon!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

I figured I might be over-reacting, but I'll definitely watch him closely just to be safe! You've eased my anxiety quite a bit.

Do you have any suggestions on dog food? He is excellently bred, and I want to give him the best chance at a long and healthy life!

You're very welcome!

My views on food are not popular online. I am a fan of foods like Iams, Royal Canin and Hill's Science diet. These foods tend to get a bad rap online, but having seen many many pets over the last two decades, these seem to be consistent foods that healthy pets eat.

That said, if you were set on going with an organic or other type of specialty food, the best advice I can give is to ask for your vet's recommendation.

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (5260 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (2274 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (33680 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (14597 views)

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (13910 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (7428 views)

Bladder surgery showed no cancer or stones. I am sorry in advance this is a little long. I just wanted to get the right... (7223 views)

Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism? My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in... (3304 views)

Swollen ankle on dog. I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a... (56445 views)

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (11767 views)