Puppy with diarrhea

Breed: Australian Shepherd
My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him for a walk at lunch, and I felt some resistance on the leash. When I looked back, he had had diarrhea all over the side walk. There was some substance to it, it was not pure liquid, the color was a typical brown with no noticeable blood or mucus, but definitely not his "norm". I've emailed photos of the stool for reference.

We usually give him some kind of chewing bone in the evening as a treat, and I was wondering if it could be as simple as the raw hide upsetting his stomach? He acts fine. Has tons of energy, and is happy as ever to see us.

I'm obviously worried about him, as he is incredibly precious to me, and I'm afraid I might have freaked myself out with reading the possible causes of puppy diarrhea. I had planned to withhold food, but wanted to know if a vet visit is needed.

He is up to date on his shots, has been dewormed twice, and eats Fromm's puppy food twice a day.

I appreciate your help!

Sorry to hear that your puppy has diarrhea. The good news is that despite what you read online most cases of diarrhea in puppies are not serious.

Given that your puppy has just had a new treat, this certainly may be the culprit. It's probably not a bad idea to withhold food for 12 hrs to give him a chance to recover.

As long as he is bright and happy I'm not worried. But, if he gets lethargic and seems really unwell then a vet visit is a good idea. I'd also recommend seeing the vet if things get much worse or if he hasn't improved in 48 hours.

One added point. Although many people swear by Fromm I have seen a lot of dogs who seem to get diarrhea when they're fed this food. I think it can be a little too rich for some dogs. I would switch at this point but if this is a regular occurrence a change may be a good idea.

Hope things look up soon!

I figured I might be over-reacting, but I'll definitely watch him closely just to be safe! You've eased my anxiety quite a bit.

Do you have any suggestions on dog food? He is excellently bred, and I want to give him the best chance at a long and healthy life!

You're very welcome!

My views on food are not popular online. I am a fan of foods like Iams, Royal Canin and Hill's Science diet. These foods tend to get a bad rap online, but having seen many many pets over the last two decades, these seem to be consistent foods that healthy pets eat.

That said, if you were set on going with an organic or other type of specialty food, the best advice I can give is to ask for your vet's recommendation.

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (8873 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (13758 views)

Treatments for IBD in dogs. My dog has IBD, biopsy diagnosis. Tested feb 2010 mild fib rising lymphocytic... (9182 views)

Itchy dog after flea treatment. We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (44178 views)

Boxer skin problems. -I apologize in advance for the novel i wrote below- We are officially at a loss.... (36629 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (68027 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (4790 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (18991 views)

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (4459 views)

Dog ate moldy corn. My 4 month old, 20 lb. standard poodle may have eaten very moldy creamed corn from a... (33064 views)