Puppy with diarrhea

Breed: Australian Shepherd
My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him for a walk at lunch, and I felt some resistance on the leash. When I looked back, he had had diarrhea all over the side walk. There was some substance to it, it was not pure liquid, the color was a typical brown with no noticeable blood or mucus, but definitely not his "norm". I've emailed photos of the stool for reference.

We usually give him some kind of chewing bone in the evening as a treat, and I was wondering if it could be as simple as the raw hide upsetting his stomach? He acts fine. Has tons of energy, and is happy as ever to see us.

I'm obviously worried about him, as he is incredibly precious to me, and I'm afraid I might have freaked myself out with reading the possible causes of puppy diarrhea. I had planned to withhold food, but wanted to know if a vet visit is needed.

He is up to date on his shots, has been dewormed twice, and eats Fromm's puppy food twice a day.

I appreciate your help!

Sorry to hear that your puppy has diarrhea. The good news is that despite what you read online most cases of diarrhea in puppies are not serious.

Given that your puppy has just had a new treat, this certainly may be the culprit. It's probably not a bad idea to withhold food for 12 hrs to give him a chance to recover.

As long as he is bright and happy I'm not worried. But, if he gets lethargic and seems really unwell then a vet visit is a good idea. I'd also recommend seeing the vet if things get much worse or if he hasn't improved in 48 hours.

One added point. Although many people swear by Fromm I have seen a lot of dogs who seem to get diarrhea when they're fed this food. I think it can be a little too rich for some dogs. I would switch at this point but if this is a regular occurrence a change may be a good idea.

Hope things look up soon!

I figured I might be over-reacting, but I'll definitely watch him closely just to be safe! You've eased my anxiety quite a bit.

Do you have any suggestions on dog food? He is excellently bred, and I want to give him the best chance at a long and healthy life!

You're very welcome!

My views on food are not popular online. I am a fan of foods like Iams, Royal Canin and Hill's Science diet. These foods tend to get a bad rap online, but having seen many many pets over the last two decades, these seem to be consistent foods that healthy pets eat.

That said, if you were set on going with an organic or other type of specialty food, the best advice I can give is to ask for your vet's recommendation.

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (10256 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (6183 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (13682 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (12373 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (5273 views)

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (49820 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (7355 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (31249 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (7548 views)

Vet drained cyst. A few months back my dog developed a blocked sweat gland. My former vet basically... (5071 views)