Lump on dog's side.

Breed: English Staffordshir
Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the skin is very rough to the touch...it is almost 1/2 between from hand back legs and 1/2 way from top to bottom...it does not appear weepy the dog is not scorching at it and does not appear to be too bothered about it...I would normally taken him straight to the vet buy I have been laid up at home with a Kidney infection so I thought I might try this service....perhaps it might be possible for me to send some photos??

Peter

Hi Peter, This is Penny from Ask A Vet Question. Dr. Marie will likely be answering questions later tonight, but if you can send photos before that, that would be great!

You can send photos to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for the photos. I've included them here:

lump on dog's side

lump on dog's side

lump on dog's side

First of all, sorry to hear that you have a kidney infection. I would imagine that that is very unpleasant!

It's really tough to say what that lump is on Bundy's side. It is a very odd color, or perhaps is that because something has been put on it? (I mean like a cream or something like that.)

There are a number of possible reasons for this. It's possible that it was a wound of some sort that has become a little infected. It's an odd area to get a wound though. Does he play with any other dogs that could have bitten him? Or perhaps he plays in an area with bushes where he could have gotten scratched? If you think this is possible then yes, he should see the vet to get some antibiotics. It is also possible that it is just a wound that is not infected and if this is the case as long as it is not getting bigger or bothersome you could watch it for a while. But if it is still there and not dramatically smaller within 2 weeks I would have him checked out.

Sometimes ringworm can look like this. Ringworm is a fungal infection. It is contagious and can be contagious to people as well. The way to tell if it is ringworm is to have your vet do a test that they send to the lab. Sometimes ringworm can be determined by putting a special light called a Wood's lamp on the area and seeing if it glows green. If it is ringworm, it may go away with an antifungal cream but sometimes these need antifungal pills.

There is a small chance that it is a tumor of some sort. It doesn't look extremely raised. I think a tumor is much less likely. But again, if it is still there in a couple of weeks then I would get it checked out. Hopefully by then, you will be feeling better!

I'm sorry that I can't give you an exact diagnosis. Hopefully I have helped though! Let me know if you have more questions. I am heading offline now but will be back on in the morning.

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (9021 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (30452 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (19389 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (10736 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (20939 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (13235 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (39959 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (11187 views)

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (7011 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (12245 views)