Lump on dog's side.

Breed: English Staffordshir
Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the skin is very rough to the touch...it is almost 1/2 between from hand back legs and 1/2 way from top to bottom...it does not appear weepy the dog is not scorching at it and does not appear to be too bothered about it...I would normally taken him straight to the vet buy I have been laid up at home with a Kidney infection so I thought I might try this service....perhaps it might be possible for me to send some photos??

Peter

Hi Peter, This is Penny from Ask A Vet Question. Dr. Marie will likely be answering questions later tonight, but if you can send photos before that, that would be great!

You can send photos to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for the photos. I've included them here:

lump on dog's side

lump on dog's side

lump on dog's side

First of all, sorry to hear that you have a kidney infection. I would imagine that that is very unpleasant!

It's really tough to say what that lump is on Bundy's side. It is a very odd color, or perhaps is that because something has been put on it? (I mean like a cream or something like that.)

There are a number of possible reasons for this. It's possible that it was a wound of some sort that has become a little infected. It's an odd area to get a wound though. Does he play with any other dogs that could have bitten him? Or perhaps he plays in an area with bushes where he could have gotten scratched? If you think this is possible then yes, he should see the vet to get some antibiotics. It is also possible that it is just a wound that is not infected and if this is the case as long as it is not getting bigger or bothersome you could watch it for a while. But if it is still there and not dramatically smaller within 2 weeks I would have him checked out.

Sometimes ringworm can look like this. Ringworm is a fungal infection. It is contagious and can be contagious to people as well. The way to tell if it is ringworm is to have your vet do a test that they send to the lab. Sometimes ringworm can be determined by putting a special light called a Wood's lamp on the area and seeing if it glows green. If it is ringworm, it may go away with an antifungal cream but sometimes these need antifungal pills.

There is a small chance that it is a tumor of some sort. It doesn't look extremely raised. I think a tumor is much less likely. But again, if it is still there in a couple of weeks then I would get it checked out. Hopefully by then, you will be feeling better!

I'm sorry that I can't give you an exact diagnosis. Hopefully I have helped though! Let me know if you have more questions. I am heading offline now but will be back on in the morning.

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (18595 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (17691 views)

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (25806 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (11707 views)

Newborn puppy not eating. Well yesterday my presious had puppys she had two, and about two to three hours... (10706 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (58755 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (22277 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (18002 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (12969 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (16386 views)